Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:41   #166
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

A person doesn't have to have first hand experience to feel passionately about a subject..
Old 10-12-2016, 16:22   #167
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

This is true, i'm passionate about some injustices in the world that haven't directly affected me.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 21:54   #168
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well that isn't going to change all the time we have governments which launch new initiatives about abuse etc. without even mentioning the plight of the rapidly increasing number of male victims.

If it's hard for a woman to report abuse how much harder for men, who aren't always believed, will likely be open to threats or actual claims of sexual assault/rape, will almost inevitably lose their homes if they've been unlucky enough to father children with their abuser, will come bottom of the pile when it comes to emergency housing and will almost certainly have their children used against them by their abusive partners?

There was a very moving discussion about this subject on LBC this morning and anyone who doubts the scale of the problem men are facing in our society I suggest they listen to it via the website.
I've been told that this is a very good organisation that helps male victims of domestic violence:

https://www.mensadviceline.org.uk

Getting back to the salient topic, Chief Superintendent Gavin Thomas yesterday called for those who commit crimes on the internet to be forced to wear a WiFi jammer.

If this works, I believe that this would be a major step forward in dealing with those who are unable to use the internet without harming others emotionally, financially, sexually etc.

Mr Thomas last spoke about the social media offences of harrassment, trolling etc last March.
Old 09-01-2017, 23:37   #169
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Chief Superintendent Gavin Thomas yesterday called for those who commit crimes on the internet to be forced to wear a WiFi jammer.
Right, because that would work, and not affect anyone else at all.

What a muppet.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:09   #170
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Amuses me when the non-technical get involved in something tech and show their shocking ignorance. Same with those who think they can regulate the internet. "We mast have new laws" and "this must be banned" they parrot forgetting that UK laws only apply to UK companies and the internet is, by it's very nature, boarderless and essentially lawless.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:19   #171
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Amuses me when the non-technical get involved in something tech and show their shocking ignorance. Same with those who think they can regulate the internet. "We mast have new laws" and "this must be banned" they parrot forgetting that UK laws only apply to UK companies and the internet is, by it's very nature, boarderless and essentially lawless.
The internet may be essentially lawless but that does not mean countries cannot enforce laws on it. All they need do is ensure ISPs in their own countries follow the rules, and any content deemed offensive can be blocked. Yes, there are ways around most blocks, but there are ways around most burglar alarms. That does not mean it's legal to enter someone's premises without their permission.

That said, this tag they are talking about. I don't see how it will work unless it also blocks mobile phone signals. Which, in all likelyhood, it would at least partially as Wifi and Mobile phones operate on similar wavelengths and it's more difficult to block a particular signal than it is to just flood the entire wavelength with noise (which would block *every* signal on that wavelength).

Any judge that required such a tag be used would probably require that any equipment capable of connecting an Ethernet connection would be removed from the perpetrators home, and impose a custodial sentence should the perpetrator be caught going somewhere else and abusing people on line.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 18:08   #172
OhReally

...here's a thought, you can only get "bullied" on-line if you actually logon and you know *gasp* read it.

How about just ignoring it, or is that too simple and people are now conditioned into always being a victim of something or other.
Old 11-01-2017, 21:56   #173
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
...here's a thought, you can only get "bullied" on-line if you actually logon and you know *gasp* read it.

How about just ignoring it, or is that too simple and people are now conditioned into always being a victim of something or other.
The way to deal with online bullying is by dealing with the perpetrators, otherwise it's like someone standing on a street corner abusing people and telling those that complain to either take another route or buy some earplugs!

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Right, because that would work, and not affect anyone else at all.

What a muppet.
I don't know the ins and outs of this, so I posted a question about it in the networking forum.

It's here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...6#post35879846

Those who contributed said that they think that it's a bad idea as it's easy to get around and would affect innocent people around the troublemaker.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 11-01-2017 at 21:59. Reason: Extra info.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:23   #174
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

This article outlines something that i've noticed about bullying on the internet:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ry-people.html

Apparently, the pack/herd mentality exists because after the first person has transgressed social graces, the other 'sheep' feel that they've been given permission to do it too.

Apparently,a lot of trolling, bullying etc is done by those having a bad day who are looking for someone else to take it out on.
Old 21-08-2017, 21:37   #175
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

There's been some more movement on this.

The director of public prosecutions Alison Saunders has today said that the Crown Prosecution Service will push for much tougher penalties for those who abuse others online. She said that it makes no difference if the abuse is shouted at someone to their face, daubed on their wall or sent via interaction in the internet.

Furthermore, if the abuse is related to a person's disability, race, religion, sexuality etc, then perpetrators will get a tougher sentence as this will be viewed as a hate crime.

Discrimination and abuse on the internet will be treated in exactly the same way as if someone had said it to a person's face in the real world, with sentences increased accordingly. This could mean a sentence of up to ten years in jail.

There were over 1,000 cases of online harrassment based upon a person's disability last year, so this is something that I welcome to make the internet a safer and more enjoyable place for everybody.

One thing that I find odd is that this doesn't deal with misogyny?? Maybe this glaring omission will be rectified.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 21-08-2017 at 21:33.
Old 21-08-2017, 22:43   #176
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Gender is included...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-face-to-face
Quote:
But we should remember that there is a less visible frontline which is easily accessible to those in the UK who hold extreme views on race, religion, sexuality, gender and even disability. I refer to the online world where an increasing proportion of hate crime is now perpetrated. And this is why the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) today commits to treat online hate crimes as seriously as those committed face to face....

...The definition of hate crime, recognised by the CPS and police, is “any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice” towards the personal characteristics mentioned above.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 09:41   #177
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's the "perceived by the victim or anyone else" part that I find troubling about our hate-speech laws. It makes the whole thing very subjective.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 10:21   #178
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's the "perceived by the victim or anyone else" part that I find troubling about our hate-speech laws. It makes the whole thing very subjective.
Old 22-08-2017, 10:29   #179
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I predict a can of worms being opened. I dare say the lawyers will feast on the contents.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 10:52   #180
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quite. And with generation snowflake taking offence at any slur, real or imagined, a lot of innocent people could be wrongly charged and police time wasted.

Meanwhile the robberies, burgalaries, drug dealing and street crime continue unabated.