Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Advice on PC upgrade from Gigabyte system

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Advice on PC upgrade from Gigabyte system

Old 27-04-2012, 12:54   #16
tizmeinnit

Re: Advice on PC upgrade from Gigabyte system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Almost seems like a waste of time upgrading from the machine you are already using if it works fine and does everything that you use it for with no problems
I agree . The £300 available will not give you any real world benefits. Maybe double your ram
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 14:08   #17
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I agree . The £300 available will not give you any real world benefits. Maybe double your ram
Thats my problem really, the Gigabyte G31M-S2L only supports 4GB of RAM, I am more than happy with the other components, I could just use another 4GB of RAM and was hoping that I could just upgrade the Gigabyte G31M-S2L to a Gigabyte *Something* with no fuss.

But I struggling to find out if this is possible or if an upgraded board exists.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

Would any of these provide the type of upgrade im looking for?

GA-G31M-ES2L
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-S3L

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

OR

Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:17   #18
tizmeinnit

http://www.ebuyer.com/267114-gigabyt...x-ga-g41mt-s2p this one supports 8 gig

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

http://www.ebuyer.com/288744-gigabyt...-ga-g41mt-s2pt

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

http://www.ebuyer.com/267510-gigabyt...d-ga-g41mt-d3v

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

plenty to choose from and only 30 to 40 notes
Old 29-04-2012, 14:26   #19
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Which one would you recommend?
I am swayed towards the http://www.ebuyer.com/288744-gigabyt...-ga-g41mt-s2pt

and

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpar...9C630BA5CA7304

That should sort me for a while and hopefully I can just swap the motherboard and everything will work ?
Old 29-04-2012, 14:38   #20
tizmeinnit

yeah it should be a straight swap with a few drivers off the cd
Old 29-04-2012, 16:55   #21
pop80_uk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
yeah it should be a straight swap with a few drivers off the cd
Cool,
Im also buying a new case, should I get one specifically for a mATX or one which supports ATX as well

Are they phasing out ATX cards?

Im looking at the

Fractal:

Arc Midi Tower
Or
Arc Mini

Thanks
Old 29-04-2012, 17:05   #22
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Get a ATX case if you plan on using it with future builds.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 17:46   #23
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Get a ATX case if you plan on using it with future builds.

Agreed

ATX motherboards are still very much being used and will continue to be
Old 29-04-2012, 18:12   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk View Post
Thats my problem really, the Gigabyte G31M-S2L only supports 4GB of RAM, I am more than happy with the other components, I could just use another 4GB of RAM and was hoping that I could just upgrade the Gigabyte G31M-S2L to a Gigabyte *Something* with no fuss.
I see no reason why it shouldn't take 8GB of RAM. Most motherboards lists these limitations simply because they were the most available when they were released.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:28   #25
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

does it then depend on which bit OS you run to allow max RAM functioning?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:35   #26
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

IIRC if you're using Windows then 64bit is required for the OS to "see" more than 3GB of RAM.
Old 29-04-2012, 19:41   #27
tizmeinnit

to be totally pedantic its 4 gig but this includes cached memory as well as graphics memory plus pci address space etc
Old 29-04-2012, 19:47   #28
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Yes, I checked after I posted. However, to use more than 4 gig you need 64bit Windows
Old 29-04-2012, 19:57   #29
pop80_uk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Yes, I checked after I posted. However, to use more than 4 gig you need 64bit Windows
I have Windows Pro 7 64bit so thats fine
Old 29-04-2012, 19:57   #30
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

yup MS limit for their own gain although its tech so theres bound to be a work around.

the official stuff of max RAM on W7 64 bit...

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote