Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Seph's BT Infinity Upgrade log

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Seph's BT Infinity Upgrade log

Old 21-04-2012, 18:56   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Seph's BT Infinity Upgrade log

Indeed. As I say though, there is no technology or network side change that should cause such a symptom, nor are there signs of congestion showing on your connection so I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.

There *are* cases I know of when maxing out a router can cause certain things to slow down lower than they were before, though it's a long shot.

Can I suggest directly connecting your PC to the modem and connecting that way to see if there's any difference? You'll need to set up a PPPoE connection in Windows Network centre with bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2012, 16:08   #17
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

This is interesting. My IP profile is 78/20, yet I've only once had a 70/16 speedtest (via .net, bbmax and BT). Speedtests have been getting slower until they stabilised at 57/16. I rebooted the modem and HH3 this morning and was rewarded with 47/16, and yet my IP profile is still 78/20. I thought if my line wasn't that great, the profile would be dropping? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Incidentally, 63.5/20 was my estimate. This is all wired, natch, and I'm about 260m from the cab.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 20:18   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

If your line wasn't great then yes, your profile would drop (by itself, no need to reboot the modem). Profile rate is always a few percent lower than your line rate, sometimes a lot lower if there's been recent faults.

Speedtests on the other hand vary based on a lot of factors, including congestion and performance of intermediate devices which faster connections tend to reveal. My DIR-615 for example, did fine on 40mb but was too slow to handle 80, though with QoS off it would just about hit 90 on a good day. The Openreach supplied modem additionally is too slow to handle >60mbps in router mode.
Old 28-04-2012, 13:24   #19
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I replaced the DIR-615 router and put in an ASUS RT N56U. Immediately I'm getting 49/10 (both direct to the router and over the Homeplug system).

Still not good enough seeing as the BT invite said 59/15. Now I can tackle that.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 15:01   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I'd be curious to see what you get off the modem, if you do choose to unlock it. BT have just knocked 30mbps off my speed (down to 60 now from 90 attainable) through a combination of interleaving and increased SNR margin - after I foolishly tried to use my old VM cabling as an extension for my DSL modem.

For the record, 15m of VM phone cable degrades your signal by the same amount as 1500m of BT phone cable
Old 29-04-2012, 17:54   #21
djstevie
Inactive

Services: Sky HD+ Multiroom, Sky BB Unlimited, Sky Talk Unlimited.
djstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I'd be curious to see what you get off the modem, if you do choose to unlock it. BT have just knocked 30mbps off my speed (down to 60 now from 90 attainable) through a combination of interleaving and increased SNR margin - after I foolishly tried to use my old VM cabling as an extension for my DSL modem.

For the record, 15m of VM phone cable degrades your signal by the same amount as 1500m of BT phone cable
Sorry to hijack this thread but is that true about the VM phone cable? Reason i ask is when i changed the Sky a few weeks ago the BT guy that came out to install the line used the existing Virgin phone cable and box (he changed the faceplate to the BT openreach one but was the Virgin line before). just wondering if that would affect my connection?
djstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:01   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

That's how it worked for me. Connecting 15m of VM phone cable dropped my line speed from 87.4mb down to 16.4mb.

I'd be very surprised if BT wired your service using a VM phone line. Not least because it won't be connected to any BT infrastructure at the other end. Are you sure it's not just an extension? You didn't have a Virgin National service (supplied through a BT line) before did you?
Old 29-04-2012, 18:17   #23
djstevie
Inactive

Services: Sky HD+ Multiroom, Sky BB Unlimited, Sky Talk Unlimited.
djstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
That's how it worked for me. Connecting 15m of VM phone cable dropped my line speed from 87.4mb down to 16.4mb.

I'd be very surprised if BT wired your service using a VM phone line. Not least because it won't be connected to any BT infrastructure at the other end. Are you sure it's not just an extension? You didn't have a Virgin National service (supplied through a BT line) before did you?
No was definately fiber optic cable. To try to explain better, at my front door there were several cables coming into the property from previous owners. There was no BT line however. At the corner of the door when Virgin fitted the phone line, the line comes in from outside, joins into a small white box just behind my door, then the cable comes out the other end of the box and runs into the main socket in the living room.

What the BT guy has done is bring the bt cable into the house, joined it to that white box behind the door, disconnected the virgin cable and used the existing cable that the virgin installer used to the point of the main socket. Then he changed the faceplate so about 12 meters of so of cable from the white box to main point is the original cable that virgin used. Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesnt im not the best at explaining
djstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:36   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

VM don't use fibre optic cable anywhere near your house.

I'm not sure what the white box is that the VM cable came in from. In my setup, there's one of the ntl: things on the right of this picture:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1153/...1a54979052.jpg

If that's what he connected to, then the cable running from it is probably very low quality and will impact your connection. Also it's probably unlawful in one way or another for one operator to go tampering with another operator's kit, and puts BT on shaky legal ground when there's a fault, since they're legally responsible for everything up to the demarcation point yet they've incorporated VM owned equipment into it.
Old 29-04-2012, 19:05   #25
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

nice level skirting board there qas
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:09   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

It's not mine, i just googled the image.

My current setup is this.
Old 29-04-2012, 19:27   #27
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

The white box being mentioned is nothing more than a simple junction box, used to normally swap black external cable to white internal cable.

See link below for a pic.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...ZEceBl1ZGofaJt

As for VM phone cable dropping your speed to much, i could only presume you must have a damaged or sub standard cable there somewhere then??
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:31   #28
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

There are BT junction boxes and VM junction boxes, one should not be connecting to the other.

As for the cable - installers tested it before they left, and it works fine for phone. I can only presume all VM phone cable is sub standard.
Old 01-05-2012, 19:12   #29
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
There are BT junction boxes and VM junction boxes, one should not be connecting to the other.
Correct, naughty BT installer.

Quote:
As for the cable - installers tested it before they left, and it works fine for phone. I can only presume all VM phone cable is sub standard.
The stuff VM use is not the same as BT. No idea what the spec of the BT cable is other than it is normally 3 pair and has slightly more of a twist on the pairs, but the VM stuff is this CW1308F (2 pair).
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:51   #30
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Quote:
It's not mine, i just googled the image.

My current setup is this.
Holy cables batman!
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote