Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

DNS Error on 1 Specific website

Old 09-08-2014, 17:22   #1
tanny
cf.addict

Services: Sky Digital Virgin Media 500Mb.
tanny is on a distinguished roadtanny is on a distinguished road
DNS Error on 1 Specific website

Since yesterday i am having an issue logging onto

http://www.desitorrents.com/ I keep getting this following message:-

Quote:
This web page is not available

The server at www.desitorrents.com can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Search on Google

Error code: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
However if i change my DNS Setting to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 the website works fine.

Any ideas why this is? I have been using this website for over 6 years now never had any issues before.

Also if i leave my DNS setting as above does this make any difference to security/firewall etc & surfing the internet?

Thanks
tanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2014, 17:34   #2
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: DNS Error on 1 Specific website

You can use whatever DNS you like. Personally i don't have a problem using Virgin's so i just leave mine at default but plenty of people choose to use the likes of OpenDNS and Google DNS. Page won't load for me either btw.

As it's a torrent site my first thought is that it's on a list to be ISP blocked like so many others but could just be a temporary glitch for all i know.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 00:08   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post
Also if i leave my DNS setting as above does this make any difference to security/firewall etc & surfing the internet?

Thanks
none whatsoever unless you tell your firewall to block those specific ip addresses. I personally haven't heard of that website before but if it is one of those torrent sites that VM deem to be dodgy they might be in the middle of doing something to block it. I have coincidentally tried going to quite a few sites this week and VM blocking page popped up. This is different from DNS but I read that they either remove and alter dns entries to prevent people from getting to the site as well.

Anyways, this is one of those times when I get to day the following: you save yourself oodles of hassle if you a) buy yourself a proper router and b) use either google's dns servers or opendns'

Incidentally, the page loads fine for me as well but that is because I also use google's dns servers.

As an fyi, when you type an address in the address bar in your browser your pc fires off a dns lookup request to whatever server you have specified as your dns server. Your dns servers have been set by dhcp and all you have done is tell your pc to go to a different server; instead of VM's you are using google's. The request has still got to out either way. As an example, it is like you saying you need to ring directory enquiries for a phone number, but instead of ringing 118118, you want to ring 118500 instead. Your firewall is configured to allow dns requests through because they go through on port 53 and if you have a look in your firewall exceptions port 53 will be open. As far as web browing goes, the only impact it will have is that your overall browsing experience over a longer period of time should be more pleasant because when stuff like this happens (or VM's dns servers go down like they did recently for a whole weekend) you won't notice it because you will be using google's which are far more fault tolerant.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03   #4
tanny
cf.addict

Thank You for your comments.

I have got a proper router Asus RT-N66U on your advice earlier in the year and i have now set the DNS to google.

Would you advice i set it via Control Panel in Win 7 or through the router? As currently it's via Win 7.

Never had an issue with DNS till the past few days and it's time i took the plunge and went to Google DNS.

Once again thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
none whatsoever unless you tell your firewall to block those specific ip addresses. I personally haven't heard of that website before but if it is one of those torrent sites that VM deem to be dodgy they might be in the middle of doing something to block it. I have coincidentally tried going to quite a few sites this week and VM blocking page popped up. This is different from DNS but I read that they either remove and alter dns entries to prevent people from getting to the site as well.

Anyways, this is one of those times when I get to day the following: you save yourself oodles of hassle if you a) buy yourself a proper router and b) use either google's dns servers or opendns'

Incidentally, the page loads fine for me as well but that is because I also use google's dns servers.

As an fyi, when you type an address in the address bar in your browser your pc fires off a dns lookup request to whatever server you have specified as your dns server. Your dns servers have been set by dhcp and all you have done is tell your pc to go to a different server; instead of VM's you are using google's. The request has still got to out either way. As an example, it is like you saying you need to ring directory enquiries for a phone number, but instead of ringing 118118, you want to ring 118500 instead. Your firewall is configured to allow dns requests through because they go through on port 53 and if you have a look in your firewall exceptions port 53 will be open. As far as web browing goes, the only impact it will have is that your overall browsing experience over a longer period of time should be more pleasant because when stuff like this happens (or VM's dns servers go down like they did recently for a whole weekend) you won't notice it because you will be using google's which are far more fault tolerant.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:17   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

the router. When you change the ipv4 properties on your pc the result is the same apart from it only applies to your pc. When you make the change on the router the router hands out the ip address via dhcp to all devices which connect to the router. So, any pc, laptop, phone etc which connects to the router (ever) is always going to get its private address from the router (192.168.1.101), its default gateway (192.168.1.1) an its dns servers as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. It makes the whole thing far more easier to manage administratively which is the point of it. On your pc you just need to select the option for obtain dns server address automatically.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:43   #6
tanny
cf.addict

Thanks that makes sense. I have now changed it via the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
the router. When you change the ipv4 properties on your pc the result is the same apart from it only applies to your pc. When you make the change on the router the router hands out the ip address via dhcp to all devices which connect to the router. So, any pc, laptop, phone etc which connects to the router (ever) is always going to get its private address from the router (192.168.1.101), its default gateway (192.168.1.1) an its dns servers as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. It makes the whole thing far more easier to manage administratively which is the point of it. On your pc you just need to select the option for obtain dns server address automatically.
Old 10-08-2014, 16:15   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I was going to say the site loads fine for me on a sky connection but then remembered I have Firefox set up to go via a proxy for banned sites.

That said the site is currently down and you are seeing CloudFlare's cache of the site until it comes back online.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:24   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

interesting, it is down now but it was defo working last night when I checked it.
Old 10-08-2014, 16:27   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Presumptive of me to think that could be the reason for the problem then Gen.

It was just a thought. (perhaps intermittant issues last night?)
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:39   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

perhaps, although it wouldn't have resulted in the DNS symptoms the op was experiencing. If the site was down but the entry in VM's dns database was correct then it would have provided the correct ip address to the op and the cached version of the site would have loaded like it is now.
Old 10-08-2014, 17:09   #11
tanny
cf.addict

Very interesting points raised. Just checked the site it all working now and without the needs of changing DNS setting it must have been a glitch in the system.

Still going to use Google DNS but thought i check it out.

Thanks everyone for ur advice and comments.