Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Westminster Cable TV closing but what about the hidden telephone service?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Westminster Cable TV closing but what about the hidden telephone service?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38   #16
thenarth
Inactive

thenarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Westminster Cable TV closing but what about the hidden telephone service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Maybe VM has had enough of BT and is building their own system in a market that could be profitable for them!
It may be coincidence, but our local exchange 'Lords' is being provisioned with BT Infinity in May, so it looks like VM may be trying to get in ahead of BT.
thenarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2012, 13:06   #17
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenarth View Post
It may be coincidence, but our local exchange 'Lords' is being provisioned with BT Infinity in May, so it looks like VM may be trying to get in ahead of BT.
Well that is a good thing, but BT plan to cover 75% of the UK, Virgin Media's Fiber Network, only covers 50%!

So Virgin have better get a move on!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 13:11   #18
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Across the road from my place (Shirland Road, Maida Vale) this morning, there are Virgin Media contractors (Virgin Media logo on the fenced off area) digging up the pavement and laying tracts of bright green ducting.

I asked one of the chaps if they were laying fibre optic cable, he said, yes, they were installing it for Virgin Media.

I'm not sure if this means that Virgin have decided to bite the bullet and install their own network in Westminster for consumers or if it is for some other reason.
No, its for Virgin Media Business.

The BT cable network which Virgin Media leases officially should end today, however, Virgin Media is not responsible for any maintainance or upgrades on the network and Virgin Media does not have any other infrastructure apart from telephone lines and fibre which was brought forward from Videotron/Cable and Wireless.

Virgin Media Business is currently supplying particular services to Westminster City Council, the business phone service provided to the council is probably still Colt.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 16:35   #19
thenarth
Inactive

thenarth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post

The BT cable network which Virgin Media leases officially should end today, however, Virgin Media is not responsible for any maintainance or upgrades on the network and Virgin Media does not have any other infrastructure apart from telephone lines and fibre which was brought forward from Videotron/Cable and Wireless.

Virgin Media Business is currently supplying particular services to Westminster City Council, the business phone service provided to the council is probably still Colt.
That is a shame! Knowing that Virgin Media fibre goes right past my door and that I can't connect to it is a bit frustrating!
thenarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 16:40   #20
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
That is a shame! Knowing that Virgin Media fibre goes right past my door and that I can't connect to it is a bit frustrating!
I don't see why not when the lease of the BT Cable network ends, it will be like BT infinity if they did though because it was just built as a Telephone only franchise.

The Westminster Cable network is still up and running as of last week, and a rumour was that it is officially to close today, I will ask my friends if it has
Old 02-03-2012, 09:32   #21
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post

Can the lease be renewed, if not what will happen to the network?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:34   #22
MrWoo
Inactive

MrWoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,
I live in Westminster also a cable customer of Virgin, prior to that Westminster cable, my cable package was switched off on the 31st January.
I now only receive the basic 5 channels plus Itv2, however I still need to use my Virgin box to receive these.
I live in a block of flats and prior to getting cable tv I had a communal ariel. someone told me that at installation stage the engineers cut this.
I have looked in my cupboard where all the services come in and I cant find any trace of the ariel, today I paid £140 to the management company to install a new cable and to connect to freeview, does anyone know if I would be able to claim this cost back from Virgin.
Cheers Ian.
MrWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 22:22   #23
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoo View Post
Hello all,
I live in Westminster also a cable customer of Virgin, prior to that Westminster cable, my cable package was switched off on the 31st January.
I now only receive the basic 5 channels plus Itv2, however I still need to use my Virgin box to receive these.
I live in a block of flats and prior to getting cable tv I had a communal ariel. someone told me that at installation stage the engineers cut this.
I have looked in my cupboard where all the services come in and I cant find any trace of the ariel, today I paid £140 to the management company to install a new cable and to connect to freeview, does anyone know if I would be able to claim this cost back from Virgin.
Cheers Ian.
No there not meant to touch the Cable socket or its cabling!

Secondly, the service is still, I know someone who still had broadband still running and are currently still paying for it.

You won't be able to claim that £140 back.

Your landlord/City West homes should be installing that for you and then you pay something like 87p per week in your rent/service charges. If you are a leaseholder then it will be in your building service charges, on my bill it comes up as 'TV Reception'.

Contact your landlord or estate manager for further information.

They have no business to cut any of BT/Virgin Media cables

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Can the lease be renewed, if not what will happen to the network?
Nothing!

They wouldn't want to, but they can if they wanted to.
Old 02-03-2012, 22:42   #24
MrWoo
Inactive

Hello m419, I am sorry I have maybe confused you with my post it was the cable engineers who cut my communal ariel when they installed it. My cable package has definitely been switched off although the box still works for the basics.
I am a leaseholder with City West homes and it was they who charged me £140 for an aerial connection with freeview, they never mentiond weekly charges, however I assume that they will run a new aerial cable from the roof to my lower ground floor flat through existing conduits. I must check my building maitenace bills and see if they have been charging me for this.
Thanks for the reply and also the info.
Cheers Ian
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19   #25
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Hello m419, I am sorry I have maybe confused you with my post it was the cable engineers who cut my communal ariel when they installed it. My cable package has definitely been switched off although the box still works for the basics.
I am a leaseholder with City West homes and it was they who charged me £140 for an aerial connection with freeview, they never mentiond weekly charges, however I assume that they will run a new aerial cable from the roof to my lower ground floor flat through existing conduits. I must check my building maitenace bills and see if they have been charging me for this.
Thanks for the reply and also the info.
Cheers Ian
I live in Camden housing, that is what they have done here, they have installed an IRS system, suitable for Freeview,Freesat and Sky. It is terrible everyone complains that it keeps going down and i'm paying for it each week and don't need it.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:36   #26
MrWoo
Inactive

I dont think Westminster has gone that far, they are only offering an ariel connection with freeview, I dont know how this works as I thought if you have an ariel you would get freeview automatically. I have also just bought a Bt vision box but cant use it until I get my connection.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:54   #27
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
I dont think Westminster has gone that far, they are only offering an ariel connection with freeview, I dont know how this works as I thought if you have an ariel you would get freeview automatically. I have also just bought a Bt vision box but cant use it until I get my connection.
it least on bt vision u can have sky sports 1 and 2 and espn
Old 03-03-2012, 16:05   #28
m419
Inactive

Quote:
No most councils have installed a combined dish and aerial and the socket has four pins, one for TV-Freeview and Analogue freeview,one for FM Radio and 2 for satellite TV.

On BT Vision you will be able to get Freeview,Sky Sports 1 and 2,ESPN,Picturebox and other on-demand content.

You haven't been able to get Sky Sports on Westminster Cable since 2009 and Sky Movies since 2008 and no Front Row/Filmflex since 2006.

By the way if you require JSTV channel, which was on Westminster Cable TV until closure for £6 per month, it is not available on any other service in the UK including Sky.
Old 03-03-2012, 20:28   #29
MrWoo
Inactive

I did have sky sports until the 31st January, the reason I got Bt vision is to be able to receive Sky sports 1 +2. I will have to wait to see what other things come through the ariel.
Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-03-2012, 21:37   #30
m419
Inactive

Quote:
I did have sky sports until the 31st January, the reason I got Bt vision is to be able to receive Sky sports 1 +2. I will have to wait to see what other things come through the ariel.
Thanks for your replies.
They had Sky sports on Analogue? They took that off my mate back in 2009 saying it was no longer available and after that it was just audio but no picture

Yeah or you could use topupTV as well to get a similar but digital version of Westminster Cable, it runs through freeview but you get a viewing card to view the pay-tv channels