Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable network map

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Cable network map

Old 26-12-2011, 16:18   #1
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light
Cable network map

Hi..

Is there a link or something that someone can give me of virgins cable network through out the uk.
I will be moving soon and i want to know where i can get the full cable network coverage not just the national service.
I want to stay in Bournemouth and poole but there are still some roads here that dont have cable.

Thanks people.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2011, 16:26   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Hi..

Is there a link or something that someone can give me of virgins cable network through out the uk.
I will be moving soon and i want to know where i can get the full cable network coverage not just the national service.
I want to stay in Bournemouth and poole but there are still some roads here that dont have cable.

Thanks people.
if you know the postcode of the area you are moving to you put that into VM's site and they will tell you what services you can get
Old 26-12-2011, 16:31   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Map

Not exactly a map but here's a full list of the areas (including xml/csv download)

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/cable/virgin

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

tThere is also old maps from 2004

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/maps/llu/25
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 18:21   #4
windy
Inactive

windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Cable network map

Thanks guys but would there be one for virgin tv.
Old 26-12-2011, 18:25   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
All of VM's services are delivered by cable (except the national BB) so if BB is available in a area via cable then so will the TV and phone
Old 26-12-2011, 18:27   #6
windy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
All of VM's services are delivered by cable (except the national BB) so if BB is available in a area via cable then so will the TV and phone
A very good point.
Old 26-12-2011, 19:20   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The maps/location links given is for cable.. so as Martyh pointed out it will cover TV as well.. All other locations will be able to get the cable national service only so won't include TV.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 16:53   #8
Chalky
Inactive

Services: TV XL, V+, BB L, Phone XL
Chalky will become famous soon enoughChalky will become famous soon enoughChalky will become famous soon enough

You could try ThinkBroadband map tool:
http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_...cable-coverage
Chalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:21   #9
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Hi..

Thanks people.
Sorry but the maps and surveys that BT Global,Virgin Media and Smallworld Media hold of there Cable franchises are confidential and the Data protection Act prevents them making them public because it reveals full details of addresses with post codes, glorious for junk mail.

You have to do it the long way and use the Post Code search facility online searching individual properties or contact the relevent companies.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Quote:
If you see a CATV,Cable and Wireless,Nynex,NTL or Virgin Media socket in the property then you can get all 3 services.

The only Cabled areas where Virgin TV is not available is the Analogue only areas where the service is no longer available to new customers and such areas are waiting to be upgraded and thus will only offer you Broadband or Broadband and phone or nothing at all. Those areas are Milton Keynes,Westminster and a small part of Southampton and Leicester and I think Slough?

Your area should be safe from that as the above areas are restricted due to the layout of there cities,local conservation rules and commercial agreements.

Every property you look at, make a note of the post code and search it on the Virgin Media website, a quick way of finding out if a street is cabled is if it has the small grey or brown sometimes white junction boxes outside the house, indicates that house has had cable before. Another one is to look out for the green or sometimes grey street cabinets.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:56   #10
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Every property you look at, make a note of the post code and search it on the Virgin Media website, a quick way of finding out if a street is cabled is if it has the small grey or brown sometimes white junction boxes outside the house, indicates that house has had cable before. Another one is to look out for the green or sometimes grey street cabinets.
Regarding the black (in our area) street cabinets. I do notice sometimes in areas say a mile from where cable is available that there is the odd black street cabinet with a NYNEX manhole in front of it. Are these for servicing the core network or something? I see them in places where cable is definitely not available. Here's one: http://g.co/maps/ked6b
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:42   #11
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

Sorry but the maps and surveys that BT Global,Virgin Media and Smallworld Media hold of there Cable franchises are confidential and the Data protection Act prevents them making them public because it reveals full details of addresses with post codes, glorious for junk mail.

You have to do it the long way and use the Post Code search facility online searching individual properties or contact the relevent companies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what the DPA has to do with it when i can find any postcode/address i wish with a pretty map telling me where it is on the internet, happy to be enlightened though.

http://www.royalmail.com/postcode-finder

If one was inclined you could enter every combination of postcodes and and get as many addresses as you wanted to send junk mail.
vmfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 23:13   #12
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Regarding the black (in our area) street cabinets. I do notice sometimes in areas say a mile from where cable is available that there is the odd black street cabinet with a NYNEX manhole in front of it. Are these for servicing the core network or something? I see them in places where cable is definitely not available. Here's one: http://g.co/maps/ked6b
Possibly, or Cable and Wireless/Nynex probably pulled out, they probably went over budget when building there network and decided to stop. I would have thought Cable and Wireless would have stopped expansion in areas deemed not to be commercially viable in there eyes, at the time, not only did they spend money on acquiring Cable firms, but they had to invest in upgrading the network to Digital, a year later(1998) Sky launched its Digital service and also at the time, they held a 50% stake in One2One now T-Mobile which was still growing at the time so I guess a lot of money went into that too.

Round here, Cable London pulled out of a council estate in 1999 because after when Telewest acquired the remaining 50% of the company I imagine they would rather invest the money on upgrading the existing network instead of expanding it.

Perhaps Virgin Media might use that in the future if it intends to cover your area.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:37   #13
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hi..

Thanks people.
I use Google Street View to see if a street has a VM cabinet. Obviously not in areas where it's all in below ground pits (e.g. Mortlake) - but at least it's something you can do from the comfort of your chair.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:12   #14
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I use Google Street View to see if a street has a VM cabinet. Obviously not in areas where it's all in below ground pits (e.g. Mortlake) - but at least it's something you can do from the comfort of your chair.
Yes but as I said in my post above, I'm finding many cabinets relating to cable tv in streets but there is no cable service in these areas.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 20:19   #15
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I've never heard of that. A VM cabinet is there to serve a street. They have a CATV pit cover on the ground in fromt of them. Is that what they were?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote