Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ubuntu swaps menus for HUD control system.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Ubuntu swaps menus for HUD control system.

Old 26-01-2012, 08:38   #1
geminian68
Inactive

Services: VM: V.I.P, 50mb.
geminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of light
Ubuntu swaps menus for HUD control system.

The Ubuntu operating system is to replace its application menus with a "head-up display" (HUD) box.

Users control the HUD interface by typing in the command they want carried out.

Developers of the Linux-based software say they will initially offer the HUD as an option, allowing users to "hide" their menu bars.

They say that using the HUD is faster than "mousing through a menu" and makes applications feel more powerful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16731071
geminian68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-01-2012, 09:00   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Ubuntu swaps menus for HUD control system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminian68 View Post
The Ubuntu operating system is to replace its application menus with a "head-up display" (HUD) box.

Users control the HUD interface by typing in the command they want carried out.

Developers of the Linux-based software say they will initially offer the HUD as an option, allowing users to "hide" their menu bars.

They say that using the HUD is faster than "mousing through a menu" and makes applications feel more powerful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16731071
Stopped using Ubuntu on my server when they changed from a traditional desktop environment.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 15:12   #3
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Stopped using Ubuntu on my server when they changed from a traditional desktop environment.
Its easy enough to disable and go back to the old grub look.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:20   #4
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I squashed my xp on my laptop..and put ubuntu on my notebook.

It is ok, but not intuitive...and I think anyone used to windows would find it hard

As it is for my travelling notebook, I'll keep it, I only use it for browsing and chat, and it seems to do that without much issue

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

But (I hasten to add), if there is something better, let me know

I have version 11.10
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:21   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
I squashed my xp on my laptop..and put ubuntu on my notebook.

It is ok, but not intuitive...and I think anyone used to windows would find it hard

As it is for my travelling notebook, I'll keep it, I only use it for browsing and chat, and it seems to do that without much issue
I have given up on Ubuntu now first was there metro type desktop now this. Its mint all the way for me from now on.

Old 05-04-2012, 18:32   #6
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I am getting the impression they developed the system to be different, not to be intuitive.

Though that is just gut reaction.

I might try mint later.
Old 05-04-2012, 19:21   #7
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I am getting the impression they developed the system to be different, not to be intuitive.

Though that is just gut reaction.

I might try mint later.
Its ubuntu on steroids

Old 05-04-2012, 20:11   #8
colin25
Inactive

Ok, I had a look at it.

You are wrong, no steroids.

It is more like meeting your ex-gf, who had her hair cut short before (in that.."it is comfortable this way and I don't mind looking like a guy" way), who lost that 20 odd pounds (and to be honest, it was more like 40 pounds), wearing a push up bra (yup, keep pushing) and looking soooo hot

Take a guess who is installing now
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Ok, I had a look at it.

You are wrong, no steroids.

It is more like meeting your ex-gf, who had her hair cut short before (in that.."it is comfortable this way and I don't mind looking like a guy" way), who lost that 20 odd pounds (and to be honest, it was more like 40 pounds), wearing a push up bra (yup, keep pushing) and looking soooo hot

Take a guess who is installing now

Nice description

Old 13-04-2012, 03:00   #10
colin25
Inactive

Right, I have used it (Mint) for a bit, and quite impressed.

Everything is there that I need.

I had one minor issue, trying to change timezone (on hols). But that was very minor, and found solution with a bit of googling

Overall, huge difference than standard ubuntu, and I can happily use this as replacement for windows

I installed over my xp version on my Vaio VGN-TT15SN notebook
Old 13-04-2012, 07:18   #11
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Right, I have used it (Mint) for a bit, and quite impressed.

Everything is there that I need.

I had one minor issue, trying to change timezone (on hols). But that was very minor, and found solution with a bit of googling

Overall, huge difference than standard ubuntu, and I can happily use this as replacement for windows

I installed over my xp version on my Vaio VGN-TT15SN notebook

Old 22-04-2012, 02:05   #12
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

I just installed the Beta 2 and it's horrid, luckily on a VirtualBox instance first before I went any further!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 02:27   #13
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
I just installed the Beta 2 and it's horrid, luckily on a VirtualBox instance first before I went any further!
I presume that is for ubuntu? try Mint..whole different experience
Old 22-04-2012, 12:07   #14
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Just looking into mint myself but don't know which version to download? It will be running on an AMD quad core as a backup OS.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 12:27   #15
colin25
Inactive

latest is always best

i have release 12 (lisa)