Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Config file help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Config file help

Old 24-10-2008, 21:25   #1
Lucifer1
Inactive

Lucifer1 is on a distinguished roadLucifer1 is on a distinguished road
Config file help

My story so far...

Hi, i was looking at my modem earlier today and came across my config file which looked a bit like this:

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Now i know im not on the fastest of speeds being on the M package (2 meg down, 256k up) so every kb counts, now correct me if im wrong but does that not look to me as if my upstream is limited to 200kb/s insted of 256kb/s meaning the config file needs to be changed if im ever to achieve 256kb/s..

All input appreciated

Lucifer
Lucifer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2008, 21:54   #2
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles
Re: Config file help

You are on NTL and the upstream is perfectly normal as they only have a upstream of 200kb on a 2MB connection.
Old 25-10-2008, 14:17   #3
Lucifer1
Inactive

Lucifer1 is on a distinguished roadLucifer1 is on a distinguished road

So even though im on and paying for the M package which is 2 meg down 256k up (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html), having 2 meg down and 200k up is fine?

Sounds a bit odd to me...

Lucifer
Lucifer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 14:33   #4
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
You are on NTL and the upstream is perfectly normal as they only have a upstream of 200kb on a 2MB connection.
Do Telewest people have the 256kb then?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 19:44   #5
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Flippin blink. Nice catch.

Whydoineedatech: Thats false advertising, to advertise 256kbps up, and only provide 200kbps. I just checked, my modem is also locked at 200kbps.

I assume you'll be raising this issue internally to get it fixed for all of us though
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 20:06   #6
g0mit
George Bromfield

Services: virgin 500 bb phone xl sky Q
g0mit is an unknown quantity at this point

You could raise this with cs yourself
g0mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 20:11   #7
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know. I just thought that perhaps they'd respond better from a report raised internally.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 20:32   #8
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Yes, I know. I just thought that perhaps they'd respond better from a report raised internally.
I've been looking all over and I can't see anywhere where they say it's only 200 for exNTL, 256 otherwise.

Can't see it mentioned on the ASA website either

When you get STMd they reduce the advertised 256Kb by 50% to 128Kb for 5 hours
as you already have 56Kb less than you should have already, then that's nearly 25% already took off you without being STMd.

If you do get in touch with Virgin about it. don't let them think they can tell about the "upto" thing because that won't wash with anyone. it's the config file that they send to your modem that is the cause of the problem. it's intentionally set at 200Kb.
Old 25-10-2008, 20:49   #9
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

If enough raise the issue with the ASA, Virgin WILL have to do something about it.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 21:32   #10
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Do Telewest people have the 256kb then?
On a different platform as Telewest is on the Knowsley platform.
Old 25-10-2008, 21:48   #11
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
On a different platform as Telewest is on the Knowsley platform.
Thanks. do you know how much they're being shortchanged on the others?

384Kb
512Kb
768Kb
Old 25-10-2008, 21:51   #12
whydoIneedatech

It is just the way it is listed on NTL as 20000 not 256 if you read your config it does not say 200 it says 20000.
Old 25-10-2008, 21:55   #13
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It is just the way it is listed on NTL as 20000 not 256 if you read your config it does not say 200 it says 20000.
It's Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
an extra 0
the 512 is listed as Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
are you saying that it's still 256 just listed wrong?
Old 25-10-2008, 22:14   #14
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
It's Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
an extra 0
the 512 is listed as Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
are you saying that it's still 256 just listed wrong?
I was going to add the extra zero but it looked wrong, it is the way that the 2 companies listed their configs, plenty of people have posted them both on here and only today someone actually noticed the was a difference.

I am primarily Telewest trained CSR and we have only been taking NTL calls for about 6 months and that is only one difference between the platforms, but the are many more differences such as frequencies, power levels and SNR levels that are very different between the 3 platforms.

The are three platforms, Knowsley, Langley and Bromley and all 3 are different in some way.
Old 25-10-2008, 22:54   #15
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I was going to add the extra zero but it looked wrong, it is the way that the 2 companies listed their configs, plenty of people have posted them both on here and only today someone actually noticed the was a difference.

I am primarily Telewest trained CSR and we have only been taking NTL calls for about 6 months and that is only one difference between the platforms, but the are many more differences such as frequencies, power levels and SNR levels that are very different between the 3 platforms.

The are three platforms, Knowsley, Langley and Bromley and all 3 are different in some way.
So. is there 56k less upstream on NTL, than there is on Telewest or not?