Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Laptop wont connect to internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Laptop wont connect to internet

Old 17-01-2008, 20:32   #1
loobyloo1
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV Ntlworld.com
loobyloo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Laptop wont connect to internet

I hope this is the right place for this thread. I've managed to sort my daughters laptop so it goes wireless (thanks Bri) but now it won't connect up to the internet. Previously it did connect through ethernet cable via Linksys router, but it has ceased and can't get a wireless connection to internet either. What can I do to correct the situation?
loobyloo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2008, 22:02   #2
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB
Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack
Re: Laptop wont connect to internet

The Wireless function on the laptop isn't turned off is it? Usually a switch or some keys you press to enable it.

Does it still work via Ethernet? Can you see a program in the System Tray that lets you connect to Wireless networks? If so, is the laptop connecting to the router?
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 23:09   #3
loobyloo1
Inactive

Hi Web Junkie, Yes the wireless is switched on it says "enabled". We did have internet connection with the ethernet, but not now. Obviously when I was tinkering about trying to get the laptop to connect through the router wirelessly I did something that disconnected it. I've checked the internet options and the network connections and cannot find anything untoward. The laptop should connect automatically but doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Web Junkie, Sorry I forgot to mention that the wireless function key is on and there is a pop up that says its enabled and the strength is excellent.
Old 19-01-2008, 00:38   #4
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack

What's the model of router as they vary in their setup? Most wireless routers for UK use should be setup for UK region, Channel 11 and wireless mode 'b or g'. SSID is just a name you call the router to identify it out any other wireless networks you may pickup and the encryption stops anyone logging onto your router and using your connection.

The laptop can be configured if you know the routers SSID, and if it uses WPA-PSK or WEP Encryption and you know the encryption key!

To try and configure the laptop, see the following post and scroll down to the Configuring Wireless Clients: section: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101676.asp and see if you can follow that.

If you don't know the SSID or the encryption key we'll set it up from scratch!
Old 19-01-2008, 09:17   #5
loobyloo1
Inactive

HI Web Junkie,

The wireless is Linksys g model. I've already set it up, know all the set up using SSID, the encryption key, WEP etc. Its not the router thats at fault here. Its the fact that I can't get on to internet, either with an ethernet cable or wirelessly through the router. The wireless connection says enabled and the strength is excellent so I just don't know what the problem is. When I do try and connect the page is not available. Ive double checked all the points in network connections and internet connections and nothing jumps out at me. The original problem of not being able to connect to the wireless was the fact that I had to disable the security on the wireless and connect up the laptop and then enable the wireless again. " Bri " of this forum had already helped me with that one. Its the non connection to the internet that is giving me a problem.
Old 19-01-2008, 16:54   #6
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Forgot to ask, Vista or XP?

Have you tried bypassing the router and plugging your cable modem directly into the laptop via Ethernet? Turn off your laptop and cable modem, connect them via Ethernet and reboot the cable modem and wait for it boot up, turn on your laptop and see if it connects just to make sure it is the laptop at fault and not the router.

It may be some software like Anti-virus or firewall, so disable them temporarily if you can and see if that works!

If it doesn't connect try opening a Command Window (Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and issue this command: ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew and try the internet, and if that doesn't work, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manger > Network apapters and double click on it then 'Right click > Uninstall' your network adapter and reboot. This should re-install the driver and may correct any config errors.

If you can connect without using the router obviously the router needs resetting to defaults and the info putting back in then trying the laptop via Ethernet and wirelessly again.
Old 19-01-2008, 22:52   #7
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Right, you've probably already done it but just double checking. Switch off power to modem AND router. Check all connections are correct (use attached diagram as a guide). Turn modem on and wait for lights to stabilise. Now switch your router on and wait for the lights to stabilise on that. open an internet browser on the computer and type in the address bar http://192.168.1.1 and press enter, it will then ask you for a username and password. The username is either blank or "admin" and the default password is "admin". If there is an option for connection type click it and make sure it is set to dynamic. Also make sure that if your modem has a USB port make sure there is nothing plugged into it.

This website may help you and has video tutorials on it. http://www.tech-faq.com/setup-linksys-router.shtml

Hope this helps

~Ben B~
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 12:26   #8
loobyloo1
Inactive

Hi Web Junkie/Ben_b, I'm absolutely stunned/brain dead this morning. I spent most of yesterday re doing all the Linksys connection stuff (my PC is the main connection) and everything is back to the way it was. The connection by ethernet is now working on my daughters laptop, so at least she can now use it and get off of my PC. I had to take the security off of the router to enable me to make this connection. I've still not got wireless connection for the laptop through my laptop. But given the amount of time I have spent on it my daughter is happy to have the ethernet connection.

I did wonder if, because the laptop has a new harddrive, whether I had to revise/renew the connection which would give another reference address? I am probably grasping at straws here, but that is the only thing I haven't tried yet. One of the things I have learned that I have to disable the security first before doing any changes (doh).
Old 21-01-2008, 14:06   #9
Web-Junkie
Inactive

If you know the wireless security settings in the router you just need to run the wireless setup on the laptop, select the routers SSID from the list and put your security settings back in? If Ethernet is now working then it's a wireless config issue.

Also, leaving the security OFF and Wireless ENABLED in the router is NOT ADVISABLE as your connection is now open to anyone in range, so DISABLE the wireless setting in the router if you are not using wireless otherwise you're going to have someone getting 'free' internet. If you still need wireless you're going to have to re-enable the security in the router and try the wireless setup again on the laptop!
Old 21-01-2008, 20:15   #10
loobyloo1
Inactive

Hi Web Junkie

I only switched off the wireless security temporarily to see if I could connect the laptop by wireless. As it didn't work I switched it back on again. It was the only avenue I had not tried, I didn't work anyway. At least the ethernet cable connection works now.
Old 21-01-2008, 20:20   #11
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobyloo1 View Post
Hi Web Junkie

I only switched off the wireless security temporarily to see if I could connect the laptop by wireless. As it didn't work I switched it back on again. It was the only avenue I had not tried, I didn't work anyway. At least the ethernet cable connection works now.
Have you tried changing the wireless channel? I found that on my Belkin router that if I have it set to any channel after 10 nothing can find the router. So I have set it to channel 9 and everything works. If you have yours set to automatic, manually choose a channel as this may be the problem.

~Ben B~
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 00:38   #12
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Channel 11 is supposed to be the default one for UK I think! I had it the other way round on a laptop, channel wasn't set to 11 and didn't work, changed to 11 and it did
Old 22-01-2008, 14:11   #13
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

channel 6 is the default i have found, normally they say the best channels to use are 1, 6 and 11, but it all depends on the environment
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 15:22   #14
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Just looked in my cousins SKY Netgear router and wireless channel is set to '1' FWIW!