Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 27-04-2017, 23:53   #3121
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That's still pretty long, the apps on my smart TV open almost instantly..
Well, Max, I was surprised by that comment and so I have just tested it.

Instantly, on selecting Netflix, it took me to the 'who's watching Netfix?'' screen. When I selected that, the menu also came up instantly.

I would suggest that the 20 second time lag reported earlier indicated a problem that the poster was experiencing, rather than the capability of the V6.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2017, 08:47   #3122
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, Max, I was surprised by that comment and so I have just tested it.

Instantly, on selecting Netflix, it took me to the 'who's watching Netfix?'' screen. When I selected that, the menu also came up instantly.

I would suggest that the 20 second time lag reported earlier indicated a problem that the poster was experiencing, rather than the capability of the V6.
Or is it that you have Netflix 'running' in the background? On our Sony TV Netflix is slower to load first time but pretty snappy after that. I don't have a V6 so can't test it but try rebooting the box and then loading Netflix. Just an idea. One thing though - it's quicker than Netflix on a SkyQ box

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 20:40   #3123
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

The Champions League final will be available in 4K (UHD) a link will appear in the discovery bar taking users to the BT Sport Youtube page

Web Link for those who don't have the V6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbboXDO2kA

Last edited by Gavin-D; 27-05-2017 at 20:46.
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 18:55   #3124
therock247uk
MVP

therock247uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a random call from someone saying they were from virgin...

There supposibly giving out the V6 box to long time customers only thing was they wanted to know the account holders name and account number so I put the phone down on them.

Sorely if it was legit they would of just send us the box with a self install guide like they did when we got the Tivo box before makes me think it isnt a legit phone call we got.
therock247uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 21:06   #3125
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock247uk View Post
Got a random call from someone saying they were from virgin...

There supposibly giving out the V6 box to long time customers only thing was they wanted to know the account holders name and account number so I put the phone down on them.

Sorely if it was legit they would of just send us the box with a self install guide like they did when we got the Tivo box before makes me think it isnt a legit phone call we got.
It may have been legit, ive seen a few jobs called "pro-active" installs
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:04   #3126
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That may be true, but I can't see any reason why Virgin Media would ask for the account number during an outbound call.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:37   #3127
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That may be true, but I can't see any reason why Virgin Media would ask for the account number during an outbound call.
Fairly standard practice to ensure they are actually talking to the account holder?

Did you ask why they wanted this info?

Not actually asking for any confidential info such as bank account details so I don't see any reason to be paranoid.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:40   #3128
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Because it's social engineering.

For instance if you know other details of a person already through other means, also knowing the account number could be enough gain access to My Virgin Media:

https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/username
Old 01-06-2017, 12:02   #3129
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Because it's social engineering.

For instance if you know other details of a person already through other means, also knowing the account number could be enough gain access to My Virgin Media:

https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/username
Ok so call Virgin Media yourself and ask if they have contacted you or not.

If they have then you will know it was genuine and you may still get the V6 if you explain your actions.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 17:15   #3130
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Ok so call Virgin Media yourself and ask if they have contacted you or not.

If they have then you will know it was genuine and you may still get the V6 if you explain your actions.
I think you meant to aim that message at therock rather than Ben, who was trying to help.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:23   #3131
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Fairly standard practice to ensure they are actually talking to the account holder?

Did you ask why they wanted this info?

Not actually asking for any confidential info such as bank account details so I don't see any reason to be paranoid.
I wouldn't have a clue what my account number is, so certainly not something I would expect to be asked for.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:40   #3132
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Although I've already answered about whether you should be asked for you account number on an outbound call or not, I just wanted to point out that your account number and area reference are on all online billing notification emails
Old 12-06-2017, 15:58   #3133
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Virgin have been calling customers regarding free upgrade to V6.

My mum got a call, they asked her for her name, account number and bank name.
She said, as they called her she didn't want to give those details and would call back.
After calling back, VM did confirm that they had called offering a free upgrade and asking those questions were standing security questions.

A new V6 was sorted and she's up and running.

Nothing to be alarmed at guys. But as one poster suggested, if you are unsure, always a good idea to call them back. I always find them helpful on the phone and they usually put good notes on the account.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 14:04   #3134
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Anyone having intermittent remote control problems? No response to key presses on the box and the red light on the remote only sometimes works on key presses. Volume control is fine but this will be IR instead of radio.

I've got a new one on its way but just wondering if anyone has seen this and can confirm a new remote will fix it
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 15:03   #3135
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

If you read the Virgin Media community forum, you will see that this is a known and accepted problem being suffered by a few customers.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote