Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Whats is this Virgin Media Building For? - Papworth, Cambridgeshire

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

And so history repeats itself...

Old 16-02-2012, 19:06   #1
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
And so history repeats itself...

... Another year, another switch from Cable to DSL.

Once again VM's service in my area's fallen far behind, and once again newer xDSL technology has come out to proverbially rape Virgin Media in the behind:

Virgin Media 50mb "fibre optic":

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.92:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 133ms, Average = 35ms

vs. BT Infinity 40mb "fibre optic":

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms

(and that's "off-peak". Just wait till 10pm!)

Once again, my VM cable's on notice and once again switching provider has made everything feel instant and responsive again, even off-peak.

VM, see y'all in 18 months...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2012, 19:14   #2
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: And so history repeats itself...

yeah thats a proverbial raping alright!

while youve got the two, could you do a fairly detailed comparison if you have the time?
by which I mean general useage differences, youtube streaming, multiple tracert's and TBB ping monitor for both?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 19:55   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I certainly will - though most of it will probably go in the "Other ISPs" board.

Just as a teaser, my profile 17a line stats indicate my line's syncing at 88.2mbps downstream and 27.4mbps upstream, with about 150mbps achievable on profile 30. So even when VM eventually bring out their long-overdue 100mbps service I'll still be on over double the upstream on BT

Gaming's already a lot better, first game in COD I was host and managed to go four whole games (before I quit) without anyone yelling "NOOB HOST" or "LAGGGG!!!11oneoneonomglolwtfbbq1!" which literally happens in every game on VM...
Old 16-02-2012, 19:59   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Just as a teaser, my profile 17a line stats indicate my line's syncing at 88.2mbps downstream and 27.4mbps upstream, with about 150mbps achievable on profile 30.
qas what does this mean and how
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 20:19   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

It means my line is capable of 88mbps download and 27mbps upload, so I'll get the full 80/20 once BT make the 80/20 service official. And once BT release their 160/40 service I'll get at least 150mbps.
Old 16-02-2012, 20:31   #6
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Jealous doesn't describe me at the moment. Very Jealous does.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 20:33   #7
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

how did you find that out?
Old 16-02-2012, 20:48   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Sign up for BT Infinity, then unlock your modem to open up telnet and SSH, then use the command line tools to dump some line stats
Old 16-02-2012, 20:51   #9
thenry
Inactive

I'm seriously considering it. I haven't had any sign of the price increase letter yet to get out of my VM contract.
Old 16-02-2012, 21:03   #10
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Ok qasd I think everyone gets it.

Your BT infinity connection is uber fantastic and rules the internet world and your VM connection is not as good.

Maybe you need to go over to the infinity forums and enjoy a nice love in? Because your constant whining and moan and cry baby toy throwing antics are becoming very droll and rather boring.

Grow up, cancel vm enjoy your BT and move on..NO ONE HERE CARES.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Its important that I state the aboce post has nothing to do with me being jealous Infinity doesnt hit my area for while
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 21:09   #11
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

what upgrade to 160/40 by bt i aint seen any press releases, if you re saying you have dump inforamtion form teh modem to find out bt are stupid to have detaisl about future upgrades ona modem
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 21:11   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Ok qasd I think everyone gets it.

Your BT infinity connection is uber fantastic and rules the internet world and your VM connection is not as good.

Maybe you need to go over to the infinity forums and enjoy a nice love in? Because your constant whining and moan and cry baby toy throwing antics are becoming very droll and rather boring.

Grow up, cancel vm enjoy your BT and move on..NO ONE HERE CARES.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Its important that I state the aboce post has nothing to do with me being jealous Infinity doesnt hit my area for while
How about you grow up and take a look at yourself. Sky anyone?

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
what upgrade to 160/40 by bt i aint seen any press releases, if you re saying you have dump inforamtion form teh modem to find out bt are stupid to have detaisl about future upgrades ona modem
It was mentioned in their recent results (i.e. the same ones where they annouced 80/20). They stated that they intend to upgrade beyond profile 17a at some point in the future, the only profile beyond 17a is 30a. My modem tells me what speed my line is likely to achieve on profile 30a.
Old 16-02-2012, 21:42   #13
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
How about you grow up and take a look at yourself. Sky anyone?

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

It was mentioned in their recent results (i.e. the same ones where they annouced 80/20). They stated that they intend to upgrade beyond profile 17a at some point in the future, the only profile beyond 17a is 30a. My modem tells me what speed my line is likely to achieve on profile 30a.
righ iget what your meaning now, i never seen the upgrade beyond 80/20 i knew they had plans beyond it but i neever seen it meantioned, but thanks for hte insight not being scarky i am being truthful i am thankful
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 21:47   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Can I suggest that people grow up in other ways like either leaving the thread or using the ignore feature if they don't like the topic or what others post.

Now back to being civil please
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 22:08   #15
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

Pretty impressive.

Why did you use a different server on pingtest ? (or did it auto choose server)

Will be interesting to see how it compares during peak times.
vmfriend is offline   Reply With Quote