Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 23-01-2017, 10:52   #91
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

All new hardware has bugs or, as one of my engineers once claimed, ‘undocumented features’, and the V6 appears to be no different. Overall I am very pleased with the new boxes and wouldn’t for a moment consider swapping them back for my old Samsung and Cisco TiVo relics, but over the weekend a couple of problems occurred that I’ve posted on the VM Community Boards in threads that suggest the difficulties I have had are not unique.
Power Save
Lots of reports on the Community Forum about this here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3291846
The automatic power save function is the default setting but I strongly recommend that you disable it as it seems to have a life of its own and waking the box from Stand By is often a long and sometimes fraught process, requiring a full shut down and start up if the box locks. I didn’t want my boxes on though all night so I have tried manually putting them into Stand By overnight. Seemed to work but this morning I found that this had led to a failed recording from BBC1 HD reported in Recording Hiccups as “Power Lost”. There was no power cut and the only difference I can see between the successful recording made at 9pm and the failed one at 10.30 was that the box was in Stand By.
According to the V6 User Guide (you don’t get one but it’s online here: https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/...user_guide.pdf) you can’t view recordings remotely on either another box or device if the V6 is in Stand By either.
I can’t find any details of the difference in power consumption between On and Stand By, so I’ve set both my boxes now as Always On until Virgin Media fix it. Of course, there's no longer a need to worry about any impact on Climate Change now that has been finally exposed as an evil Chinese plot... ;-(
Netflix
There appears to be DNS issue if you are using a VM SuperHub in Modem Mode with an external router rather than relying on the SuperHub’s own Wi-Fi. I’ve found my SH2 Wi-Fi to be unreliable so have an Apple Time Capsule as my router. I have one V6 connected directly into the router via Ethernet, a second connected by Wi-Fi.
iPlayer and YouTube worked fine but Netflix failed initially on both boxes, showing an error that said “Application is loading. Netflix is loading onto the TiVo box. Please wait a moment and try starting Netflix again. (V312)”. Turns out I’m not alone and there’s a thread on the Community Board forum on this that suggests it’s a DNS problem. I resolved it for my V6 with the Ethernet connection by turning Modem Mode off on my SuperHub, rebooting the V6 and then Netflix worked. I then switched back to Modem Mode and it still works so that box is fine now.
However I was unable to do that successfully with the Wi-Fi connected box, despite wasting several hours on Sunday running up and down the stairs and rebooting and re-rebooting anything and everything. Still no Netflix on that box, which is annoying as that ain’t connected to a Smart TV and so there’s no Netflix or similar downstairs at the moment.
Neither of these are showstoppers with the V6 but they are annoying and if I continue to get Failed Recordings that will be a serious problem.
Anyone else experiencing similar?
nialli is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2017, 11:02   #92
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Sky Q has the same problem coming out of power save. What is it about modern equipment its not as if power save stated in 2016
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:12   #93
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Our VHD box (Cisco) has the same issue so I only put it in standby (Clock showing) when not in use.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:06   #94
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
What is it about modern equipment its not as if power save stated in 2016
It's a combination of the power regulations getting more stringent every year, and increased functionality in the boxes.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:59   #95
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's a combination of the power regulations getting more stringent every year, and increased functionality in the boxes.
more stringent every year, and SLOPPY DESIGN

fixed that for you.

Of course as the resident VM spokesperson you doubtless won't agree, but to pretend that a box is incapable of powering up from standby because "it has so much functionality when it's awake" is ludicrous even by your standards
Old 24-01-2017, 08:45   #96
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
more stringent every year, and SLOPPY DESIGN

fixed that for you.

Of course as the resident VM spokesperson you doubtless won't agree, but to pretend that a box is incapable of powering up from standby because "it has so much functionality when it's awake" is ludicrous even by your standards
Clearly, you have never had any responsibility for introducing new technology yourself, or you would realise how mad that sounds. Sky Q has issues too, and as ever these will be sorted out with updates.

Stop being so grouchy and try getting out the other side of your bed in the mornings.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:33   #97
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Clearly, you have never had any responsibility for introducing new technology yourself, or you would realise how mad that sounds. Sky Q has issues too, and as ever these will be sorted out with updates.

Stop being so grouchy and try getting out the other side of your bed in the mornings.
Earlier in this thread OhReally said that he cancelled VM's TV service a while back, which makes me wonder why he's so vocal here with his negative comments aimed at genuinely knowledgeable posters like Spiderplant and BenMc.
Cable Forum is at its best when threads have helpful advice or constructive debate for VM customers but occasionally there are people who seem to just throw bricks and negativity at those who are actually the good guys .
nialli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 02:39   #98
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Earlier in this thread OhReally said that he cancelled VM's TV service a while back, which makes me wonder why he's so vocal here with his negative comments aimed at genuinely knowledgeable posters like Spiderplant and BenMc.
Cable Forum is at its best when threads have helpful advice or constructive debate for VM customers but occasionally there are people who seem to just throw bricks and negativity at those who are actually the good guys .
It's true I did cancel the tv service, now have a Humax 4000 on freeview.

My other half is "hinting" about getting a Tivo back (had the old real silver box for over 10 years), lots of stuff on here suggest it isn't really ready yet.

Standby my previous comment, if it's genuinely being suggested that 2 V6's can't coexist on the same wifi network, then it's seriously broken design wise.
Old 25-01-2017, 07:37   #99
Mr Banana

Quote:
It's true I did cancel the tv service, now have a Humax 4000 on freeview.

My other half is "hinting" about getting a Tivo back (had the old real silver box for over 10 years), lots of stuff on here suggest it isn't really ready yet.

Standby my previous comment, if it's genuinely being suggested that 2 V6's can't coexist on the same wifi network, then it's seriously broken design wise.
Where has it been suggested that 2 V6's can't coexist on the same wifi network?
Old 25-01-2017, 08:28   #100
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
Exactly! Mine works just fine.
Old 25-01-2017, 09:42   #101
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

VM recommend the V6 is connected by Ethernet or power line. A second box Tivo/V6 can connect via Wifi.

Wifi reception can be variable for all sorts of reasons, thus VM's recommendations. Some people have no problems with wifi on both boxes. which is great. Those that do can't blame VM if they don't follow their recommendations.

Because of the nature of wifi, some people may require both boxes connected via Ethernet or power line
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 10:12   #102
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
VM recommend the V6 is connected by Ethernet or power line. A second box Tivo/V6 can connect via Wifi.

Wifi reception can be variable for all sorts of reasons, thus VM's recommendations. Some people have no problems with wifi on both boxes. which is great. Those that do can't blame VM if they don't follow their recommendations.

Because of the nature of wifi, some people may require both boxes connected via Ethernet or power line
I keep seeing ethernet or powerline. Before the box was launched, on the official Virgin Media forums the staff were stating that power lines were the 3rd option behind wifi and ethernet. Now I understand ethernet being the preferred option, that's been the case for years on any device. But everything I've officially heard has powerlines as the 3rd option and links such as this don't mention powerlines. https://my.virginmedia.com/content/d...V6_only_d8.pdf

I don't subscribe to this you can't blame Virgin if you're using wifi. If it's offered and been allowed to use to stream between V6 boxes then surely they need to take some responsibility. For what it's worth since changing to the 5Ghz mode on the network settings then the two V6 boxes have worked flawlessly on wifi.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 11:05   #103
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I keep seeing ethernet or powerline. Before the box was launched, on the official Virgin Media forums the staff were stating that power lines were the 3rd option behind wifi and ethernet. Now I understand ethernet being the preferred option, that's been the case for years on any device. But everything I've officially heard has powerlines as the 3rd option and links such as this don't mention powerlines. https://my.virginmedia.com/content/d...V6_only_d8.pdf

I don't subscribe to this you can't blame Virgin if you're using wifi. If it's offered and been allowed to use to stream between V6 boxes then surely they need to take some responsibility. For what it's worth since changing to the 5Ghz mode on the network settings then the two V6 boxes have worked flawlessly on wifi.
Same for me, 5Ghz on my wifi works flawlessly so far, although I appreciate this is early days.
Old 25-01-2017, 14:07   #104
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It depends on signal attenuation, interference and contention. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. In fact it might not always work for you - it worked for OLD BOY initially.

There are good reasons that VM mandate only one V6 on Wi-Fi (and preferably using 5GHz).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
That'll be where VM's top fan said so

Of course in the real world (outside of VM fantasy land) people (us included) run wi-fi networks with many many devices on. We have - 2 laptops, 3 desktops, 3 printers, 2 phones - so that'll be 10 devices then.
Old 25-01-2017, 18:13   #105
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

So what happens when the internet goes down, does that mean that you have no TV service?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote