Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 16-04-2015, 13:37   #211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The evidence OB has found does not contradict what I posted above, and it does not support the argument he has made throughout this thread, that VOD means linear TV will be dead in 10 years.

It would be a mistake to project the current downward trend forwards to a point where it reaches zero. The reasons for the current decline do not support such an assumption. There are, however, plenty of reasons for arguing that a new equilibrium will be reached between various methods of content delivery. I have outlined some of those above.

I could add to that, that companies that own both platform and channel, such as Sky, have a massive incentive to continue to provide their premium content via the linear platforms they own.
Long before the audience for linear TV reaches zero it will be uneconomic to provide them.

This isn't about our individual preferences, Chris, it's about whether sufficient people will still want to watch linear TV with all the alternatives that are being made available.

The point I keep coming back to is that although there is plenty of money to be made from advertising at the moment, the point will come, inevitably, where the audience share becomes so low that the revenue from advertising will be insufficient to support our linear channels.

The key, presumably is to somehow link this advertising with OD content. However, why go for OD if it's riddled with adverts when you can stream your programmes through the likes of Netflix and Amazon without interruptions?

It's primarily the younger generation that will drive this. Those who are longer in the tooth and set in their ways will be dragged along kicking and screaming, no doubt!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2015, 14:04   #212
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Nope. Not inevitable at all.

We still have cinema, we still have radio. In 20 years there will still be a TV schedule.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 18:37   #213
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:

We still have cinema, we still have radio. In 20 years there will still be a TV schedule.
I totally agree with you on this. CD`S were supposed to kill off vinyl but they survived and indeed seem to be getting more and more popular. Linear tv will stay around for many many years to come,I`m absolutely sure of that.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 19:19   #214
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I totally agree with you on this. CD`S were supposed to kill off vinyl but they survived and indeed seem to be getting more and more popular. Linear tv will stay around for many many years to come,I`m absolutely sure of that.
Yeah, some people just can't seem to wean themselves off the clicks and pops that you get with vinyl, And pay more for the privilege!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 19:22   #215
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Yeah, some people just can't seem to wean themselves off the clicks and pops that you get with vinyl, And pay more for the privilege!
That's entirely their prerogative just like others who download their music or people who buy CD's.
Old 16-04-2015, 19:37   #216
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

There probably will always be a place for linear channels but there's no doubt that on demand is on the rise and affecting viewership of normal channels. The ratio is only going to increase in the favour of Netflix-like methods as the years go by and as new platforms appear or more established ones evolve.

It's probably going to take another decade or two to see just how much but even a blind man could see what direction media consumption is headed.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 20:02   #217
eljay
Inactive

Services: Sky Q 2TB & 1 Mini Box, Box Sets, Sky Broadband Max and Sky Talk Anytime
eljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rough

On demand etc. viewing is no doubt increasing but has a long way to catch up with linear TV and the same could be said for pay tv.

A lot of people will never want to wade through a series of menus. my wife is one, they just want to turn the telly on and go through one menu and find something to watch.

Lets face it recently all the press were going on about Game of Thrones having its largest ever viewing figures. However, when you read on it shows nearly 5 times as many were watching BBC 1 and ITV alone.

I like the option of on demand but it still has a long way to catch up.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 20:09   #218
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
On demand etc. viewing is no doubt increasing but has a long way to catch up with linear TV and the same could be said for pay tv.

A lot of people will never want to wade through a series of menus. my wife is one, they just want to turn the telly on and go through one menu and find something to watch.

Lets face it recently all the press were going on about Game of Thrones having its largest ever viewing figures. However, when you read on it shows nearly 5 times as many were watching BBC 1 and ITV alone.

I like the option of on demand but it still has a long way to catch up.
Agreed , some people don't realise there is more than one page of channels on the EPG.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 20:14   #219
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

You keep saying that we still have cinema, cinema is a totally different experience to TV, and I agree that cinema, maybe not in it's present form, but imo there will always be a demand for cinema and the bigger screen. There is no doubt that linear TV is on the slide, what it will be like in 20 years time is anyone's guess.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 20:25   #220
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
That's something both piracy and tivo have in common. Set your favourite shows to automatically download/record then watch at your leisure from an easy to read list. Even with it's very few 'next day after US channels episodes from the likes of AMC' shows that netflix has, still hasn't mastered. their interface is annoying.
Old 16-04-2015, 20:57   #221
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You keep saying that we still have cinema, cinema is a totally different experience to TV, and I agree that cinema, maybe not in it's present form, but imo there will always be a demand for cinema and the bigger screen. There is no doubt that linear TV is on the slide, what it will be like in 20 years time is anyone's guess.
You really don't get it ...

Of course cinema is a different experience. That is *why* it has survived.

The ability to switch on a TV and quickly settle down to watch something after a day at work, with the absolute bare minimum of effort, is a different experience to deliberately choosing from a menu of box sets, or setting up preferences for download or whatever, and is one of the key reasons why linear TV will also survive.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 21:02   #222
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Even with it's very few 'next day after US channels episodes from the likes of AMC' shows that netflix has, still hasn't mastered. their interface is annoying.
I don't get what the problem is with Netflix. On entering you have a row of your recently watched shows, and selecting one takes you to where you left off. There is also a row of 'My List' shows, showing shows you are interested in.

Amazon is similar with 'Recently watched' and 'Your Watchlist'. Now TV is a bit clunkier, but offers a limited 'Recently Watched'. Even Hulu alerts you when there is a new episode of a show you watch. What could be simpler than the above?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 21:12   #223
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
You really don't get it ...

Of course cinema is a different experience. That is *why* it has survived.

The ability to switch on a TV and quickly settle down to watch something after a day at work, with the absolute bare minimum of effort, is a different experience to deliberately choosing from a menu of box sets, or setting up preferences for download or whatever, and is one of the key reasons why linear TV will also survive.
No, I do get it, as for the part in bold, it only takes seconds to find something that you've either recorded or can choose from a menu, so imo your argument about settling down quickly after a hard days work, and viewing a linear channel quickly, holds no water at all.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 21:34   #224
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I don't get what the problem is with Netflix. On entering you have a row of your recently watched shows, and selecting one takes you to where you left off. There is also a row of 'My List' shows, showing shows you are interested in.

Amazon is similar with 'Recently watched' and 'Your Watchlist'. Now TV is a bit clunkier, but offers a limited 'Recently Watched'. Even Hulu alerts you when there is a new episode of a show you watch. What could be simpler than the above?
Don't get me wrong i use Netflix often, sometimes daily. However i have to jump on the PC to browse for things as the app interface is awful for finding things unless you know exactly what you're looking for via the search.

I look for things on the PC then add them to 'My List' for watching on other devices, tivo for example. My auto recordings on tivo and torrents is just click a button on the remote to go to the recent shows.
Old 16-04-2015, 21:38   #225
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
No, I do get it, as for the part in bold, it only takes seconds to find something that you've either recorded or can choose from a menu, so imo your argument about settling down quickly after a hard days work, and viewing a linear channel quickly holds no water at all.
You are correct that it only takes seconds. But most people don't do it regardless.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote