Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 08-04-2016, 21:35   #451
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: What have you fixed lately?

replaced screen and digitizer on friends Iphone 4s
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2016, 20:12   #452
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a productive weekend of minor vehicle repairs this week.

First off was my sister's Octavia down in Cardiff. A while back the car needed a jump start to get it going, and considering the battery was still the original (and 10 years old) we decided to stuff a new one in. Luckily GSF have a discount most weekends an I got the battery and wipers for both my sister's and brother in law's cars (all branded) at a very good price.

I also grabbed a pair of anti roll bar droplinks for my focus. I'd found one was loose and rattling, and its as easy to do both as it is to do one, so I went about it and was done within a couple of hours and peace and quiet was restored. I then spent the afternoon polishing the old girl up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-10 16.28.01.jpg (593.2 KB, 6 views)
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 22:09   #453
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Our Flymo lawn mower - well partly... The belt started to shred itself this afternoon so I stripped it down to see what would be involved in fixing it. It looks straightforward so I've ordered a new belt and hope to be able to cut the grass again next weekend.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 22:17   #454
Mike Flex
Inactive

Mike Flex is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
after blowing a seal
What you do in your private life is no concern of ours.
Mike Flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 09:22   #455
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Very happy with myself this morning.

Went to empty the dishwasher and found the power switch had broken from its internal mounting and fallen back inside the top of the door assembly. At first glance it looked like I'd have to dismantle the entire door but then I discovered the control panel at the top can be accessed by removing about 8 screws. After doing this the control panel fell away from the door and I could see the 2 plastic lugs securing the switch in place had broken. It's been a bit loose for a while so I knew something was up and guess after he first one broke, the second was bound to follow. Luckily the breaks were clean and the plastic used suitable to glue with my industrial strength superglue so I did just that. Whilst having a peak inside I could also see that the plastic opening mechanism had broken on one side where it pivots so I set about a quick fix using a hot nail to melt a whole in the plastic and secure it with a cable tie to allow the required movement but keep it in place. Screwed it all back together again and she's now purring away nicely. We'll need to treat the on/off switch with care but we don't leave the machine powered up unless it's in use so we may just leave it in the on position from now on and continue to use the machine using just the mains plug to switch the power on/off.

This was one of those rare jobs which looked at first as if it was going to be a real PITA but turned out to be much more straightforward than I could have wished.
Old 13-04-2016, 09:54   #456
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

A blocked head on my Epson Printer!
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:05   #457
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
A blocked head on my Epson Printer!
Well done. I use this utility:

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

It allows clean cycles of varying severity separately on black and colour carts plus many other useful tools. It seems to have only been developed \ tested up to XP but worth a look.

Here's the latest version with w10 support:

http://ssc-service-utility.en.lo4d.com/

Freeware.
Old 13-04-2016, 11:39   #458
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Osem: The style of plastic switch you described is used commonly in industry, I had a similar switch on my Bosch grinder which I ended up replacing with one from Maplins.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:48   #459
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Osem: The style of plastic switch you described is used commonly in industry, I had a similar switch on my Bosch grinder which I ended up replacing with one from Maplins.
If I'd have thought about it Id have taken a picture to post here. :slaphead:

The assembly is very similar to that shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSO3nXetiOM

49 seconds in you can just see where the switch body is located by screws down into 2 quite flimsy plastic lugs formed as part of the plastic control panel cover. Anyway another nice simple fix which has saved me a few quid.
Old 13-04-2016, 14:22   #460
raging bull
cf.geek

raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Looks like a unique replacement from dishwasher part stockist!
Old 13-04-2016, 14:56   #461
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era

Mended the steering wheel ring accelerator on our car (disabled persons hand control). As soon as the hand controls were switched on. The engine revs went up to 3000. Turned out to be the coupling from the ring to the potentiometer was loose and out of position.
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 16:26   #462
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Window catch spring failed, found a similar one in my box of bits.

Garden cupboard needed a couple of screws.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 18:56   #463
Osem
Inactive

Ahh... You can have enough boxes of bits and pieces mate!

Anyway I've just taken apart the wife's Rio ultrasonic facial cleanser which started playing up. It'd charge up then run down within a few seconds or stop/start intermittently. I wondered if the battery pack might be at fault and sure enough it appears to be. There are 3 nimh AAA cells (600mah?) shrink wrapped up to form a 3.6v pack with black and red wires leading to soldered joints on the circuit board. There's some leakage apparent so one or other of the cells has failed. Not being too hot with a soldering iron I thought I might just cut the wires near the defective battery pack and then join a new battery pack to the existing wires. I've seen battery packs like these on Ebay for a few quid but is there anything I need to know when choosing the replacement or will any similar looking 3 AAA cell/3.6v pack do the job?

Oh, and is there an easy way to see whether the item is still otherwise OK before I go about ordering another battery pack? I have some 3.6v li-ion rechargeable AA batteries so could I test the unit very briefly using one of these and just clamping the red/black wires on the relevant terminals? No point wasting time/money if the product is broken now.

Cheers all.

Last edited by Osem; 10-06-2018 at 15:50.
Old 16-04-2016, 19:31   #464
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Don't swap between types of batteries as often their rechargers operate differently, and you don't want to overheat a Li Ion battery!

You can buy cells with solder tags which makes them a lot easier to join together, just remember to join them together as per the original.

Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 20:29   #465
raging bull
cf.geek

Just to echo what Taf said, just solder onto the tags not the battery.