Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 10-09-2014, 15:12   #2086
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist View Post
They're hardly "outsiders". All of their parties have people that voted for them in the last elections for Holyrood and Westminster.
Scottish Conservatives, Scottish Labour and the Scottish Libdems have their own leaders. It might have been less damaging to BT to have them lead from the front rather than the Westmister 3. It could backfire.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to defend the BT tactic of flooding us with Westminster politicians today.

A yes supporting colleague just showed me a clip of John Prescott. After suggesting that England and Scotland should join forces on the football pitch to beat the Germans (tongue in cheek I know but still went down like a lead balloon).. he then went on to slate the Tories for ripping our family apart... it's not party politics now John they're on your side!

From having a few healthy discussions so far this week. today is like the circus has came to town.

I'm beginning to think this is all a cunning plan to get rid of us but make it look like it's our own choosing.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2014, 15:26   #2087
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

First conspiracy theory lol

Quote:
I'm beginning to think this is all a cunning plan to get rid of us but make it look like it's our own choosing.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:36   #2088
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Scottish Conservatives, Scottish Labour and the Scottish Libdems have their own leaders. It might have been less damaging to BT to have them lead from the front rather than the Westmister 3. It could backfire.
That maybe, but like it or not, Scotland is currently still part of the UK, and those three are still the leaders of those parties. I don't like the "team Scotland" term that's being used by the Yessers at the moment. Do they think that the No voters don't care about Scotland as they're not in their "team"?
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:39   #2089
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Frankly I've lost all interest..
Old 10-09-2014, 15:43   #2090
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Personally, I think that while a certain group of very proud and Nationalistic Scots would welcome a Yes vote, and it would probably be very good for Salmond's political career (after all, if his seat isn't safe now, I'd wager it will be if he manages to portray a Yes vote as a way of beating the English), I've done some research on this and I don't think a Yes vote would be good for Scotland as a country.

Why? a few reasons..

1) While they may not have to set up as much of an infrastructure as the UK government has said, they will need to set up some infrastructure. After all, do they have an equivalent of the Inland Revenue or HMRC for tax collection? Both IR and HMRC probably have regional offices in Scotland, but how much control infrastructure do they have? When the Scottish Government needs to deal with either department (say to set taxes), they would need a head office to deal with. This is going to cost money to set up. Even if they use the offices in London, I'll bet that those offices will charge for the privilege. After all, Scotland would be no longer part of the UK, so the government may well demand they pay for their use of UK facilities.

2) Finance. Thanks to North Sea oil, Scotland could be a very wealthy nation. Sadly, North Sea oil is going to run out sooner rather than later. How are the Scottish Government going to finance their plans. It's not as if they'll be able to go to London for a grant, and any loan will need to be paid back.

3) Economy size. In this day and age of globalisation, it's an unfortunate fact that for a country to prosper, it needs the support of the multinational companies. They currently look at the UK and see a country offering easy entry to Europe (in terms of business), a solid (if depleted) manufacturing base and a financial system that, in spite of it's size, is considered to be very powerful on the world markets. What are they going to see when they look at Scotland? A country with a good supply of new tech companies (which helps), a good engineering reputation and little else as far as I can see?

Now,when I post this, I don't mean to patronise or insult either Scotland or any Scot, but I genuinely don't see how becoming their own country will benefit Scotland. As I said, I can see the benefit to Alex Salmond, and I can see the attraction.

There is also the risk that outside investors could become nervous about the future of the Union as a whole as a result of this. Nervous investors are bad, because they tend not to invest. They also, if they have currency, have a tendency to sell it, which will lower our exchange rates. A lack of investment and a sudden rush to sell the Pound could push both Scotland and the rest of the UK into a very deep recession. Something that will negatively affect *everyone* regardless of whether they believe Scotland should be a separate country or not.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:44   #2091
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

It will be all over by next Friday barring a very close vote for no, when a re-run will be asked for.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 16:03   #2092
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Frankly I've lost all interest..
You should have changed banks...
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 16:17   #2093
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Hopefully 'lessons will be learned' if there's a repeat session in 5 yrs or so.

#1 DON'T LET IT LINGER, the last 4 months were completely pointless and has only really served to poison any good will between the two points of view because the whole 'debating' went on for too long.

#2 If you're going to offer DEVO MAX at the end, to avoid looking totally STUPID offer it at the start...
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 18:52   #2094
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Seems to me that toxic team Westminster is likely to sway more Scots to vote yes.

The sight of all three "Leaders" singing from the same songsheet but for their own selfish reasons is
Old 10-09-2014, 19:07   #2095
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Well they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The Union is one week from being torn apart. They have to do something. Sitting back and letting Salmon rule the airwaves and the debate is not an option.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 19:24   #2096
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The No campaign's six-point lead as measured by Survation, just won't go away:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/in...record-4196976

Quote:
THE fight to keep the UK together received a much needed boost tonight after a dramatic new poll showed support for independence has stalled.

An exclusive survey for the Daily Record gives the No side a six point lead - the same margin as two months ago.

But the Survation survey of 1000 Scots showed 47.6% plan to vote No a week tomorrow with only 42.4% voting Yes.

When the 10% of people still to make up their mind are removed, that would give a referendum result of 53% No to 47% Yes.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 19:26   #2097
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The Union is one week from being torn apart. They have to do something. Sitting back and letting Salmon rule the airwaves and the debate is not an option.
Very true but it's a totally unedifying experience. I'm not sure deploying Gordo was wise.
Old 10-09-2014, 19:29   #2098
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Very true but it's a totally unedifying experience. I'm not sure deploying Gordo was wise.
It looks bonkers from an English perspective, but he is still highly respected amongst the key West of Scotland, Labour-voting demographic that is likely to swing the result one way or the other.

Remember in 2010 at the General Election, Labour's vote held up perfectly well in Scotland.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 20:00   #2099
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Labour can win this thing. It's their voters who are switched and there are a lot of them. Bring some of them back will win it.

Is Blair toxic in Scotland?
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 20:12   #2100
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The polls seem to show a very close 50/50 split, so whatever vote wins will leave about half the population upset, and that won't be a happy outcome.

I know a few Scottish families that will be torn in 2.
Could we then end up with a S.R.A Scottish Republican Army i hope not.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Labour can win this thing. It's their voters who are switched and there are a lot of them. Bring some of them back will win it.

Is Blair toxic in Scotland?
Blair should be classed as toxic anywhere he turns up.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote