Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 22:27   #16
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
giving the poor viewing figures bet not be long before advertisers presure sky to get it on VM
I don't believe SKY care about advertisers anymore, and any pressure will simply be ignored. Think how much advertising revenue SKY lost pulling SKY Sports News from Freeview, BT, Virgin Medium TV package and their own lowest package. SKY Sports News used to get more viewers than SKY Sports 2, 3 and 4 combined according to Barb. Viewing numbers have since halved.

SKY have already covered their behinds with advertisers anyway:

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_downloads...%20%28W%29.pdf

Maybe someone way smarter than me can make sense of pages 48,49,50,51,52 and my favourite page 59 'the disclaimer'.
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 22:37   #17
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I wouldn't have expected Mike Darcey to say anything different. SKY have ploughed a massive amount of money into marketing this channel as free and exclusive to SKY customers. It would be crazy for him to come out 2 days after the channel has launched stating the channel will arrive at some point in the future. It would be a massive PR own goal.

they may well have done already, broadwalk empire (the flagship hype up edition) only just got into the non terrestrial top 20 coming iirc equal 20th with csi: shown on fiver - if that's not a bit of an own goal......................
Old 03-02-2011, 22:43   #18
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
I doubt advertisers were too pleased with the closure of two channels either
good point and the viewing figures to go withthem Plus Reach I would one angry businessman/advertisor getting on the blower to SKY.

2.6m customers or 147,000 Its goto be a massive own goal.

The other is even if Freeview/VM took it would it even get close to the revenues of Virgin 1/Bravo provided. Somehow I doubt with these low numbers.

Like I said Sky completely misread the british public view habbits.

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I don't believe SKY care about advertisers anymore, and any pressure will simply be ignored. Think how much advertising revenue SKY lost pulling SKY Sports News from Freeview, BT, Virgin Medium TV package and their own lowest package. SKY Sports News used to get more viewers than SKY Sports 2, 3 and 4 combined according to Barb. Viewing numbers have since halved.

SKY have already covered their behinds with advertisers anyway:

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_downloads...%20%28W%29.pdf

Maybe someone way smarter than me can make sense of pages 48,49,50,51,52 and my favourite page 59 'the disclaimer'.
They should ignore it at there peril who actually gives them money advertisors and viewing public. Ignore those fundemental eliments can take down a big Corporate company.

I filmly think SKY starting believe the hype there untouchable but alienate these two and they will soon learn that profits will get smaller.
Old 03-02-2011, 23:26   #19
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

I'm loving this thread already.

Armchair lawyering, some advocating of dodgy downloading, people deciding they know Sky's strategies and business models better than Sky do, this rocks.

VM will get Sky Atlantic, for now Sky are just playing the PR game with its exclusivity. It's par for the course.

For all this discussion from about Sky's ignorance of the advertising market their revenue from it has increased by 40% year on year, revenue by 15% and operating profit by 26%. They clearly have some idea what they are doing and pulling a few channels behind paywall and holding another exclusive for a while won't have been done for their health.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
TOTALLY AGREE.

I would think as compensation VM should NOT need to PAY CARRAGE. They broke the agreement so for compensation VM should get these channels at no Extra costs.
Then I await the announcement of the law suit from VM. If agreements, which will presumably be on paper, signed, etc, as given these are two multi-billion pound companies we'd assume a handshake isn't enough, have been broken I'm very surprised we haven't seen this action.

Unless of course there is no agreement covering Sky Atlantic, and this is the traditional Sky Hysteria
Old 04-02-2011, 00:41   #20
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Sky want as many DTH subs as possible, be it from Freeview, VM or even BT Vision. It will come to VM because they will want the revenue, but they want to see how many they can bring over to their platform first.

You can pretty much guaranatee that Sky have over-priced it at this stage, but the price will tumble in 6-12 months time.

This is typical Sky style.

The viewing figures have been poor so far from what I've read also.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:08   #21
jamiec21
cf.member

Services: V+ TV: XL and Sports HD; BB: L
jamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Sky want as many DTH subs as possible, be it from Freeview, VM or even BT Vision. It will come to VM because they will want the revenue, but they want to see how many they can bring over to their platform first.

You can pretty much guaranatee that Sky have over-priced it at this stage, but the price will tumble in 6-12 months time.

If the figures are this low now, after the vast promotion of the last few weeks, I can see them moving it to the Premium movie package by the end of the year to cover costs.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23   #22
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

I wasn't aware BARB have even released any viewing figures yet so we'll see next week.

According to Sky's last annual statement only about 6% of their income is derived from advertising and sponsorship but this should increase with the newly acquired channels. Nevertheless that equates to a healthy 15% share of all advertising though.

Sky Atlantic will probably not get anywhere near the overall viewing figures of Channel One but it will probably generate far more income overall but I would guess that's the idea.

Having had a look at Sky's stunning last quarterly results I would have to disagree with an earlier poster that they have misjudged the British viewing public just yet. But there's one thing we can all be certain of, if they have they will do something about it and unlike others much sooner rather than later too.

The paper reviews seem mixed on Atlantic but thats not a great surprise. It's not for me but I think it's fit's in nicely with Sky's overall offer. Let's also remember that 2/3 of the people polled on this very forum hoped VM will get Atlantic too if that means anything.

---------- Post added at 01:23 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiec21 View Post
If the figures are this low now, after the vast promotion of the last few weeks, I can see them moving it to the Premium movie package by the end of the year to cover costs.
There is absolutely nothing in any statement from BSkyB to suggest that will be the case. It will be part of the Variety Pack from August.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:37   #23
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Hmm so I won't be getting yet another boring Sky channel full of dull, trashy American imports? What a shame.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:42   #24
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post

You say that with apparent surety that it will come to VM but VM cannot even get moving with channels that have been around for a while let alone one that has only been on air for a few days. Or channels they have announced months ago as arriving and are still yet to. I wish I had your confidence. I still find it amazing we don't even get the HD channels VM own half of but as ever we will just have to wait and see and maybe they will give us all a happy surprise in April. Given the price increases and with the realisation I am paying hugely more for my landline services and calls than with any other provider which actually equates to considerably more than Sky's ripoff HD charge for us (honestly, I was totally shocked too) I seriously hope they do announce something good.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:12   #25
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Erm, have I missed the link between the price increases (first one in two years) and additional content coming in April (sorry if I have).

My utility prices have gone up, but I am not getting additional electricity/gas/water for my money (same with the local bus fares - we haven't had a new bus).

Re the landline - taking these individual services, when you get them as part of a package (and the discount, if you get one, is over the package) is disingenuous, imho. I priced up Sky for a total package comparator, and VM was still a couple of pounds cheaper, and my BB is 2-3 times quicker, soon to be over 4 times quicker (I am on XL TV, Phone, BB, V+ with an additional V box).

Yes, I could get individual items cheaper, but not the sum of the services - ymmv.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:17   #26
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

It must be a shock each month receiving a bill for services that you use on a daily basis and it must be even more of a shock to find that prices in the real world have the audacity to go up, now what is this world coming to.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11   #27
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
It must be a shock each month receiving a bill for services that you use on a daily basis and it must be even more of a shock to find that prices in the real world have the audacity to go up, now what is this world coming to.
No mate, no shock just as follows:-

£8 for inclusive calls but no 0870 or international numbers included which is around 60% dearer than most of their competitors, because they are not included as with Sky and others I can easily add on average another £10 to each monthly bill. This is quite a new thing to me as previously I have used a dirt cheap carrier service but can't anymore. Plus £2 for cli, no one else charges for it but I knew that anyway.

The TV is fine but any savings are soon gobbled up by the exorbitant phone charges. Of course I don't get a staff discount like you but I'll live with that in the big picture.

So not so much a shock, simply very, very expensive. Just my opinion though and dosen't really matter in the long term.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:45   #28
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Back on topic:

The only thing that the missus wants is Mad Men :
But told her it will be on Dave +7 next year LOL
Old 04-02-2011, 10:06   #29
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Back on topic:

The only thing that the missus wants is Mad Men :
But told her it will be on Dave +7 next year LOL
Ha ha.

Are the episodes that are still on the BBC reruns or new episodes. I assume these will stop once Sky start showing it?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:24   #30
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

[QUOTE=Hugh;35166460]Erm, have I missed the link between the price increases (first one in two years) and additional content coming in April (sorry if I have).

My utility prices have gone up, but I am not getting additional electricity/gas/water for my money (same with the local bus fares - we haven't had a new bus).

What a joke of comparison I think you may find gas/water/electric must haves were as pay TV certainly isn't hence why he expects more for his increase.
Closed Thread