Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 16:30   #256
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
You have to subscribe to the XL pack for Tivo don't you, not any old pack as you suggest?
Initially yes, however if Virgin plan to move all customers over to TiVo, as has been said, then it will be rolled out to lower tiers.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:36   #257
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
VM VOD with the likes of Lovefilms/Amazon and Google is the way I see VM breaking the strangle hold on Sky Movie Premier and gain access to Sky Atlantic programmes?

One other factor not mentioned. To get VM Vod/apps via Tivo you have to subscribe to a TV pack only as already includes the 10Mb BB so you don't habe to be a VM BB customer. For Sky do you have to be a subscriber to TV + a Broadband package to get Sky Anytime?

So VM will have a big price advantage moving forward unless Sky bundle in free BB?
They already do bundle free BB if you take phoneline all be it with a rather poor 2gb usage limit.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:37   #258
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
They already do bundle free BB if you take phoneline all be it with a rather poor 2gb usage limit.
Of which Anytime+ is not excluded because 'it would confuse customers'
Old 07-03-2011, 16:41   #259
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Of which Anytime+ is not excluded because 'it would confuse customers'
Agreed , like I said 2gb is poor in today's world.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:42   #260
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Initially yes, however if Virgin plan to move all customers over to TiVo, as has been said, then it will be rolled out to lower tiers.
I have read that too but I think it would be safe to say that is probably some way away.

For a non XL customer there are currently some pretty big numbers involved to get Tivo, hardware costs aside.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:46   #261
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

The sky unlimited BB is a better deal than VM 10mb for those customers whose line will run ADSL 2 at quicker than 10mb as it's 7.50 compared to VM 13.50 however people with lower speeds are better with VM if speed is what they want. The Sky free BB wouldn't let you watch to many Sky Atlantic shows on sky player.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:49   #262
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
For a non XL customer there are currently some pretty big numbers involved to get Tivo, hardware costs aside.
Suppose it depends what you are comparing it against - it's still cheaper monthly for TV costs than getting the comparable Sky+HD box with Anytime+
Old 07-03-2011, 16:55   #263
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Suppose it depends what you are comparing it against - it's still cheaper monthly for TV costs than getting the comparable Sky+HD box with Anytime+
No that's not where I was coming from, Sky's products didn't enter my mind.

What I mean is there is a quite a big upgrade path for an existing non XL customer to get Tivo.

I might be wrong but a M+ customer would be shelling out around £400 extra in the first year with the higher XL sub, Tivo sub and kit cost. It's a big ask.

Then again maybe M+ customers are not natural Tivo customers anyway, dunno really.
Old 07-03-2011, 17:01   #264
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Then again maybe M+ customers are not natural Tivo customers anyway, dunno really.
Considering TiVo is currently designed to be a premium service? No they aren't. As TiVo becomes mainstream, then options will become available to the lower tiers

Though to be honest, TiVo will be a difference experience on lower services. It's designed to offer content you might not have seen but would want to watch. It can't do that as well with less channels to suggest content from
Old 07-03-2011, 17:04   #265
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Considering TiVo is currently designed to be a premium service? No they aren't. As TiVo becomes mainstream, then options will become available to the lower tiers

Thought to be honest, TiVo is less useful on lower services anyway. It's designed to offer content you might not have seen but would want to watch. It can't do that as well with less channels to suggest content from
That's what I have always thought too, it's only a certain group of customers who will want it.

It won't be mainstream for quite some time yet similar to the other markets it operates in.
Old 07-03-2011, 17:19   #266
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
[/U]mersey70;35188821]That's what I have always thought too, it's only a certain group of customers who will want it.

It won't be mainstream for quite some time yet similar to the other markets it operates in.
I read somewhere on the net that people were saying its to geeky and only appeals to TV addicted tech freaks.
Old 07-03-2011, 17:26   #267
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I read somewhere on the net that people were saying its to geeky and only appeals to TV addicted tech freaks.
I think someone from Sky said something along those lines, but of course they would. I bet they never said it when they had it though!

I would diplomatically say to me it certainly seems a product that would appeal to the let's say more technically savvy. Maybe some of those people who read publications like What Video and of that ilk.
Old 07-03-2011, 18:42   #268
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I guess everyone's finished discussing Sky Atlantic then - thread closed.
Closed Thread