Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 18:00   #46
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tivo

Rattus - you know with Sky when you stop subscribing the recording functionality packs up? So although you 'own' the Sky+, when you stop giving them the money you've got a very expensive FTV receiver, nothing more.

This isn't a million miles away from VM. And they'll *always* sort your box out for you.
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2010, 18:19   #47
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
Rattus - you know with Sky when you stop subscribing the recording functionality packs up? So although you 'own' the Sky+, when you stop giving them the money you've got a very expensive FTV receiver, nothing more.

This isn't a million miles away from VM. And they'll *always* sort your box out for you.
Very true when I cancelled Sky Hd my box recording feature didn't work a bit naughty if you ask me.
Old 12-10-2010, 18:45   #48
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Very true when I cancelled Sky Hd my box recording feature didn't work a bit naughty if you ask me.
You have to subscribe to the service to enable it to work.
Old 13-10-2010, 13:06   #49
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post

There are advantages of "owning" the equipment though, like the ability to upgrade the HDD if you choose. You can always sell the box on too, to someone else who's subscribing.

I see what you are saying, and i'm more than happy to pay an increased rental for an improved box, just as i was with TVdrive back in the day. I just don't like the idea of large upfronts for equipment I do not and never will own.
Old 13-10-2010, 18:25   #50
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Well i'm a bit sceptical about the iplayer HD.

Whenever i've tried to access HD VOD i always get the 'high demand....' error.

Is there anyway for them to fix this or is it just too many neighbours on virgin VOD?

As for the Tivo Vivo i don't think i'll be an early adopter sadly, did that with the V+ and paid £10 for ages, then they wanted another £50 to stop the £10 payments. They finally stopped it on their own.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:58   #51
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

If they price it too high then those who are primarily looking for more disc space to accommodate HD recordings will take matters (and a screwdriver) in their own hands and start fitting their own 1Tb drives. It may breach T&Cs but there's a lot of frustrated folk out there who want more V+ capacity NOW.

---------- Post added at 07:58 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Well i'm a bit sceptical about the iplayer HD.

Whenever i've tried to access HD VOD i always get the 'high demand....' error.

Is there anyway for them to fix this or is it just too many neighbours on virgin VOD?

As for the Tivo Vivo i don't think i'll be an early adopter sadly, did that with the V+ and paid £10 for ages, then they wanted another £50 to stop the £10 payments. They finally stopped it on their own.
Report the HD VOD problem to Customer Services: it's most likely a local contention issue and they can address this. We had a few probs, one call later and it was all resolved.
Old 14-10-2010, 18:18   #52
indie1982
Inactive

Services: M Phone, XL BB, XL TV and 2 SA V+
indie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enough

Just read about plans to bring Spotify to the VM platform, I wonder if this will be part of the offerings that Tivo brings?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3624...-spotify-on-tv
Old 15-10-2010, 09:19   #53
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie1982 View Post
Just read about plans to bring Spotify to the VM platform, I wonder if this will be part of the offerings that Tivo brings?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3624...-spotify-on-tv
I would have thought it was more a VM broadband extra than VM TV, but you never know.
Old 15-10-2010, 10:29   #54
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. It specifically talks about the TV platform though Nialli. I would have thought this was possible with the existing WeeChange middleware but a shiny TiVO app would be more than welcome.
Old 15-10-2010, 13:01   #55
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

I can't understand everyone's willingness to pay more than they do currently for a service that should have been provided years ago.

Yes, this will raise the bar on Sky+ , but have Virgin/TW/ntl customers not already paid by having to suffer the useless in comparison V+/TVDrive for years (which has always been blown out by Sky+).

What extra functionality will you actually get from a new box?

It'll have 3 tuners - we have that now
It'll have more recording space - hardly a massive upgrade, this could be done to the existing box/platform at low cost
It'll have a new EPG - should have been dealt with years ago, always been trumped by Sky
You can watch YouTube on your telly - not exactly worth paying for
Live updating EPG - Sky have had this for years, and its criminal cable still don't
Spotify on your telly - not exactly worth paying for (you'll prob have to pay Spotify as well!)

TiVo is good (I used to have one) - the suggestions engine is great. But at the end of the day its still just a PVR - I don't see why I should pay extra each month for it when I never have since Sky+ dropped the subscription charge years ago.

And paying up front - again why? We are always told we rent the equipment from Virgin, so its being paid for by your monthly service subscription, no? A £2/300 upfront charge for one of these would be scandalous - its not groundbreaking new hardware. Charge for the engineer visit if you must, but why should I pay for something I don't own?

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Remember that the V+ used to cost £250 and the were plenty of takers, so regardless of cost I fully expect TiVo to have a large takeup at launch.
That's when a PVR was new technology, and the gadget heads were all over them. Sky used to charge for Sky+ back then, and TiVo were selling in this country.

Now its yesterday's news, and they are almost considered the norm. Where is the justification for the charge?
Old 15-10-2010, 13:27   #56
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Well... Sky charge £249 just for the 1tb version of the current Sky+HD...

Quote:
Sky+HD 1TB box from £249
(Standard set-up fee applies. Existing Sky+ or Sky+HD customers may be able to choose self set-up for £15).
http://www.sky.com/shop/boxes/1TB

No pricing has been announced by VM, yet, so I'm not going to start speculating, but it will be a premium product, offering a lot more than Sky+HD or V+HD.
Old 15-10-2010, 16:54   #57
pauldavies83
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Well... Sky charge £249 just for the 1tb version of the current Sky+HD...

http://www.sky.com/shop/boxes/1TB

No pricing has been announced by VM, yet, so I'm not going to start speculating, but it will be a premium product, offering a lot more than Sky+HD or V+HD.
Thats exactly my point - I don't buy all this hype. What will make it so much better than Sky+ / V+ ? Suggestions - old news. Spotify / YouTube - not a game-changer. On-demand - thats a network benefit, not the STB.

I don't see it bringing anything other than an incremental update to what is currently available. Certainly not to the level to deserve a premium price-tag.

And, as we are forever reminded by VM employees on here, your buying your Sky box - hence the price tag.
Old 15-10-2010, 17:12   #58
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It's not necessarily VM employees who remind you of that..

Any discussion of features could be a little premature as we don't yet know what they will be including.

Tivo has some nice features, and from what I have seen (on demo videos) bears little resemblance to the Series 1 software we have on UK Tivos. One feature I would like to see over here is the ability to control your device via the web (which Sky does have) and the ability to download recordings to your mobile (which Sky does not).
Old 15-10-2010, 22:02   #59
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think when VM do launch the TiVo service and set top boxes you will be really surprised at how much better it will be. If you have seen any videos of series 4 in action I think it will be similar to that.
Old 16-10-2010, 12:49   #60
pauldavies83
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
One feature I would like to see over here is the ability to control your device via the web (which Sky does have)
Agreed 100% - long overdue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
and the ability to download recordings to your mobile (which Sky does not).
Also agree, but won't this make the rights holders squeal? Have seen Tivo2Go in the US, but won't the rights holders try to nullify this kind of feature? They don't like people keeping permanent copies of their stuff, especially when they can flog the DVD or iTunes download to make some £££.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think when VM do launch the TiVo service and set top boxes you will be really surprised at how much better it will be. If you have seen any videos of series 4 in action I think it will be similar to that.
Better than what?

V+ - couldn't really be much worse.
Sky+HD (with its new broadband on-demand offering?
YouView (by the time TiVo comes to market properly this will really be gathering pace ready for launch)

I just think we shouldn't be accepting this will cost a fortune (in case the market researchers are watching). It should be priced aggressively rather than making it a niche 'techies' product.
Closed Thread