Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HD is overrated

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

HD is overrated
View Poll Results: Do you agree that HD is overrated?
Yes 84 32.94%
No 147 57.65%
I am indifferent on this matter 24 9.41%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-05-2009, 15:22   #31
ilovehd
Inactive

Services: Vm xl tv, tivo, sports+movies, 100mb bb, xl phone, galaxy note
ilovehd is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HD is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
You're over exaggerating a bit, HD is 4 times the picture detail
4 is close to 20 isnt it? lol
ilovehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2009, 15:31   #32
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Personally I think it's overrated.

I'm more interested in the quality of the program content than how better it apparently looks.
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 17:53   #33
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

the problem I always have is I either watch HD or upscaled, I never see the SD pictures against a HD picture to tell the difference. During the last cup final I did do a test between the DVB tuner and BBC HD and there was a difference and it was much clearer.

I find for most content you just get more details round the edges a clear shot in the centre of the screen will still show the same actor as before.

With nature programmes it looks great but then again you can be viewing a breathtaking image to start with, I never watch these side by side with SD to tell the difference
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 19:27   #34
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
With nature programmes it looks great but then again you can be viewing a breathtaking image to start with, I never watch these side by side with SD to tell the difference
Yes, I've just got a 32" Samsung TV that is a full HD (1080p) panel, and there is a clear difference when watching nature programmes in HD, especially when BBC HD repeat the Planet Earth series. And I really notice the extra detail when there are close ups on the animals.

Other programmes aren't so impressive in HD - the Doctors soap for example. It seems to vary a lot from programme to programme. Whether this is down to the TV or the BBC's HD output, I'm not sure.

On the other hand, I've just got a Blu-ray player and the images from that look stunning on the TV, and are a big improvement over DVD. Blade Runner has never looked better
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 20:55   #35
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki007 View Post
Breathtaking? I doubt that. Breathtaking is watching the new Star Trek film in digital at a new cinema. Upscaled SD content on Sky is hardly breathtaking.

Placebo.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Thats because that isn't an HD feed, it's SD showing a rediculously blurred image being sharpened to SD! It's a marketing gimmic...that apparently works.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Plasmas have been there for years. LCDs will never reach that quality.
the plasmas are better than the lcds i grant you but most i have seen have never been worth the price diference to crt

as the prices drop that call may go in thier favour but its still not the huge leap that i have seen with blue ray on a good 1080p monitor
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 22:50   #36
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki007 View Post
Plasmas have been there for years. LCDs will never reach that quality.
Entirely disagree.

Neither plasmas nor LCD will EVER get to the quality of a CRT. An HD CRT will make any other screen pale in comparison, even the Kuros that are widely regarded as the greatest plasmas ever. The only reason people think that CRTs are inferior is because of their size and the lack of HD CRTs in this country. Sadly fashion ruled over function with TVs and the inferior picture of plasma and LCD won out because they were thiner, not because they were anywhere near as good.

There's a reason why CRTs are still used exclusively in the TV and film industry.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 00:02   #37
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Entirely disagree.

Neither plasmas nor LCD will EVER get to the quality of a CRT. An HD CRT will make any other screen pale in comparison, even the Kuros that are widely regarded as the greatest plasmas ever. The only reason people think that CRTs are inferior is because of their size and the lack of HD CRTs in this country. Sadly fashion ruled over function with TVs and the inferior picture of plasma and LCD won out because they were thiner, not because they were anywhere near as good.

There's a reason why CRTs are still used exclusively in the TV and film industry.
i dont know these new 1080p lcds do look fantastic with blue ray and the brightness issue is starting to be not tht much of an issue ( though i mostly watch films with lights down even with crt )

and for small tvs the size as in depth advantage out wieghs and other problems

again thouugh as to what they call HD on sky or virgin there is not much if any diference when i compare them to my wide screen crt
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 00:13   #38
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbryanw View Post
Yes, I've just got a 32" Samsung TV that is a full HD (1080p) panel, and there is a clear difference when watching nature programmes in HD, especially when BBC HD repeat the Planet Earth series. And I really notice the extra detail when there are close ups on the animals.

Other programmes aren't so impressive in HD - the Doctors soap for example. It seems to vary a lot from programme to programme. Whether this is down to the TV or the BBC's HD output, I'm not sure.

On the other hand, I've just got a Blu-ray player and the images from that look stunning on the TV, and are a big improvement over DVD. Blade Runner has never looked better
Blu-ray & 'full' HD (1080p) are currently not significant while discussing HD television, which is only available in 720p or 1080i
Old 23-05-2009, 00:46   #39
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Entirely disagree.

Have to agree there. Not sure if it made any difference but isn't it cheaper and a bigger profit on LCD \ plasma too. Seems the only choice we have is LCD \ plasma despite neither being as good as CRT
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 01:23   #40
Mac-the-T
Inactive

Mac-the-T is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon there is a difference. I can tell watching football on on my father-in-law's LCD - he has Sky HD.
In HD you don't get much benefit while the game is moving fast and the camera is way up for a wide angle view. But when the action slows, for a corner or throw-in you can see so much detail. Advertising hoardings and faces in the crowd, many rows back, can be seen in far more detail that normal TV - you can recognise faces.
Another difference can be seen when viewing digial photos on a TV.
PLug a computer in to a VGA or S-video port or other standard connectino and you get pretty blurry, grainy photos on the TV.
Plug my laptop in via HDMI and I get full screen, lovely sharp photos.
Mac-the-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 02:38   #41
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
Blu-ray & 'full' HD (1080p) are currently not significant while discussing HD television, which is only available in 720p or 1080i
Yep, sorry for dragging Blu-ray into it I just wanted to make the point that the HD I've seen on Virgin('s only HD channel) seems to vary a bit in quality whereas with the Blu-rays I've watched, the quality seems to be a step up (admittedly I've only watched a small number so far). But that's enough of Blu-ray.

Anyway, in my opinion, HD TV material does look noticeably better then SD stuff, and I'm sure that difference only increases when you watch it on a bigger TV/projector. With my last TV, a 26" 720p set, I could hardly notice the change in quality.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 13:00   #42
zen63
Inactive

zen63 is an unknown quantity at this point

HD is great - Virgins HD service is pants.
zen63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 09:05   #43
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

Saying HD is over-rated is a pretty bizarre thing to say. It's obviously a vast, vast improvement over SD, the raw stats alone prove that. If you can't see the difference then the fault lies not with HD, but with the viewer and/or the viewing equipment.

Personally I very rarely watch SD anymore.

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 ----------

Quote:
Entirely disagree.

I have a 50" 1080p KURO and it's leagues ahead of my old Panasonic 32" W/S CRT. Far, far sharper and with no colour bleed, bloom, or the general blur of a CRT. It gives the most natural picture I've ever seen from a TV, and the 24fps mode is superb for movies. That is's also vastly thinner is a nice bonus.

And when was the last time you saw a 50 or 60" CRT? I don't recall ever seeing one larger than 36". CRTs are dead and good riddance I say.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 11:36   #44
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi View Post
Saying HD is over-rated is a pretty bizarre thing to say. It's obviously a vast, vast improvement over SD, the raw stats alone prove that. If you can't see the difference then the fault lies not with HD, but with the viewer and/or the viewing equipment.

Personally I very rarely watch SD anymore.

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 ----------

I have a 50" 1080p KURO and it's leagues ahead of my old Panasonic 32" W/S CRT. Far, far sharper and with no colour bleed, bloom, or the general blur of a CRT. It gives the most natural picture I've ever seen from a TV, and the 24fps mode is superb for movies. That is's also vastly thinner is a nice bonus.

And when was the last time you saw a 50 or 60" CRT? I don't recall ever seeing one larger than 36". CRTs are dead and good riddance I say.
No wonder you don't watch much SD any more with a TV that size but you're an exception rather than Mr Average Household. The biggest selling LCD size in the UK is only 32in, and the difference between HD and SD on the smaller screen isn't "vast, vast" - it's notable, but not to the point where you'd stop watching SD as unwatchable.
(Besides, if you have a 50in TV there's no way you could accomodate a CRT that size without building an extension! )
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 11:57   #45
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
No wonder you don't watch much SD any more with a TV that size but you're an exception rather than Mr Average Household. The biggest selling LCD size in the UK is only 32in,
The fastest growing size though, in terms of sales, is 42". Prices on 42" full HD LCDs are now very low, so it won't be too long before a large number of these HDTVs are installed in people's homes.

Certainly when you walk into a home cinema store, or even mainstream stores such as Currys the focus is very heavily on 42"-50" HDTVs, with some 60" models there too.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote