Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media, sold upgrade not informed of upload limit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media, sold upgrade not informed of upload limit

Old 22-03-2017, 22:12   #1
Gazid
Inactive

Gazid is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media, sold upgrade not informed of upload limit

Hi all,

Feeling very angry with Virgin Media right now.
I recently upgraded my plan because I needed to increase my upload speed, so upgraded to 200/12 mbps.

I now find that the upload is monitored between 4-11pm and if the my upload reaches 2,250 mbts, they reduce it by 50% and if it reaches that again with that time period, they reduce it by a further 65%!

Now, I had 2 conversations with 2 different people at Virgin before upgrading who made no mention whatsoever of a limit. Having just now called them, they said 'it's in the terms and conditions' and simply wouldn't escalate the complaint to a manger as 'it's in the terms and conditions'.

To add insult to injury, when I upgraded, they told me one price, then tried to charge me more.

Pretty fuming right now. Any input or suggestions of what to do next appreciated.
Gazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2017, 22:53   #2
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media, sold upgrade not informed of upload limit

Do not know much about your problem but I would be interested in what other people think !!?
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:07   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazid View Post
I recently upgraded my plan..........Pretty fuming right now. Any input or suggestions of what to do next appreciated.
As you mention it is an upgrade which means you was on a lower tier which was also subject to the same traffic management policies and % reduction in speeds. Increased upload speed just means you can upload more per hour before you hit the threshold and the management takes effect. Although the policy is in effect between 1600-2300, your upload quota isn't a total limit measured over that period. Years ago it used to be the case that if you reached something like 4.5gb by 1800 then you were screwed till 2300. It now operates on an hourly basis and tbh dude I am on the same tier as you and do a lot of uploading and struggle to be affected by it. Once you know what the average upload speed is to hit that hourly threshold you can make sure you keep yourself just below it. Even so, if you do hit the threshold you go down to 500k/sec for 1 hour which is a modest speed imho.

Anyways, if you want a truly unmanaged tier then you might want to consider the 200mbit "gamer" tier which is 200/20 and the upload is not managed at all.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:47   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice from the General as usual so I hesitate add an extra comment.

Always Google first before asking. Solves most problems.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 12:21   #5
Gazid
Inactive

Many thanks for that. It does make sense and I can see why they do it. It just would have been good if they had pointed it out before hand.
Old 23-03-2017, 14:30   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Like pretty much any service, its down to you to check up on the finer points of what you are buying.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 14:42   #7
Gazid
Inactive

Thanks Paul - Yes, live and learn
Old 25-03-2017, 21:18   #8
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Your previous tier would have had the same.

If you go to 200 gamer, 20mbit up and no throttling.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 22:40   #9
Gazid
Inactive

thanks rtho
Old 26-03-2017, 12:42   #10
MagicUK
Inactive

MagicUK is on a distinguished roadMagicUK is on a distinguished road