Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 01-08-2015, 13:00   #5911
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'd say the bigger issue for Sky with the loss of key sporting rights is it's ability to push through future price increases to fund it's EPL rights. I'd sadly expect non sports customers too see larger than normal increases to foot the bill. Just personal opinion of course.
The competition between SKY and BT is great for the consumer It's pushing almost £700 per year to watch SKY Sports, and BT Sports, in HD depending on who your provider is. I'm sure in the next 3 years this will reach an eye-watering £1000! It's seriously getting to the stage where it'll be cheaper for me to get a season ticket for Rangers, and go to the boxing once a month, than it is to watch at home.... and that includes travel costs and food. Crazy stuff
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2015, 13:08   #5912
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'd say the bigger issue for Sky with the loss of key sporting rights is it's ability to push through future price increases to fund it's EPL rights. I'd sadly expect non sports customers too see larger than normal increases to foot the bill. Just personal opinion of course.
And if non sports customers continue to see larger then normal price rises then even more will cut the cord one suspects.
Old 01-08-2015, 13:16   #5913
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And if non sports customers continue to see larger then normal price rises then even more will cut the cord one suspects.
Got to agree. Every price increase makes the likes of Amazon Instant Video, Netflix and NOW TV look more appealing. Now all we need is for someone to launch cheap broadband without the need of an expensive phone line attached to the bill.

Virgins cheapest broadband offering is £28.50 per month for 50mb. As a former Virgin Media customer I've still got their cabling in my house. It would be great if Virgin could offer a 20mb service for about £13.99 per month for existing and former customers. I'm not sure what their profit margin would be but they wouldn't have to pay for an engineer to install. I'd even be prepared to pay for the modem and to have it delivered.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:24   #5914
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The competition between SKY and BT is great for the consumer It's pushing almost £700 per year to watch SKY Sports, and BT Sports, in HD depending on who your provider is. I'm sure in the next 3 years this will reach an eye-watering £1000! It's seriously getting to the stage where it'll be cheaper for me to get a season ticket for Rangers, and go to the boxing once a month, than it is to watch at home.... and that includes travel costs and food. Crazy stuff
Agree with all your points Chad , I only have both Sports packages because they've been vastly discounted by retentions , I would never pay full price.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 14:55   #5915
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Trouble is the price rises are occurring on areas like line rental. (BT's and Plusnet's going up by a £1pm next month; remember there is zero inflation) so even if you cancel the TV service you will be paying for sport via the back door.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:
Got to agree. Every price increase makes the likes of Amazon Instant Video, Netflix and NOW TV look more appealing. Now all we need is for someone to launch cheap broadband without the need of an expensive phone line attached to the bill.
It's not a phone line, it's a line that delivers everything. Sadly it's not going to go away because the broadband companies' costs aren't going to decrease by £16pm.
However, if you live in central London now and elsewhere in the future, the well-financed company Relish is offering you unlimited web access for £20pm without line rental! It can do so as it uses 4G.
"Relish is operated by UK Broadband, part of the PCCW Group that includes HKT, Hong Kong’s premier telecommunications service provider and largest mobile service operator"
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 15:04   #5916
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

In order to get some live football on Sky Sports 5, Sky will be showing 80% of the football league games on it
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 15:14   #5917
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
BT etc have been good for the consumer. There are two suppliers of PL football. One charges considerably less than the other.

BT are offering their sports service for free or extremely discounted for those who join their business. It is not their fault if people choose not to join BT and/or choose to pay for it at full whack. Sports fans on VM get it heavily discounted (no, it's fair on non sports fans) too, but is another option not to pay full price.

Sky are the company that, seemingly, over charge customers and keep the costs very high. Let's face it, how many of the games on Sky have actually been worth the cost over the past 23 years for a neutral, I imagine its a pretty low percentage.

OFCOM have given consumers a choice of which sports packages they can buy, it is not their fault if people choose to waste their money on two subscriptions, when one package could suffice.

I can't help but feel that Sky would be charging considerably more than the joint cost of SS and free/discounted BT sports, if there was no competition for them.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 16:02   #5918
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Trouble is the price rises are occurring on areas like line rental. (BT's and Plusnet's going up by a £1pm next month; remember there is zero inflation) so even if you cancel the TV service you will be paying for sport via the back door.

-

Exactly; and it is really irritating to non sports fans. Why can't some authority take action against this blatantly obvious rip-off? Is the relevant authority blind to it or are they powerless to do anything?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:00   #5919
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Interesting that it is only Premier league matches were forced to be split between two broadcasters and not The Championship too,which annoys me as I have to sub to Sky Sports to see my team on the box! The BBC used to show a handful of live games once upon a time but I guess `Auntie` can`t afford to anymore?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:19   #5920
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Auntie certainly cannot afford it TGS sadly.
Old 01-08-2015, 19:29   #5921
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Interesting that it is only Premier league matches were forced to be split between two broadcasters and not The Championship too,which annoys me as I have to sub to Sky Sports to see my team on the box! The BBC used to show a handful of live games once upon a time but I guess `Auntie` can`t afford to anymore?
I've give up on Sky sports given the price, I shall just get a now TV day pass when the Boro are away and on Sky
Old 02-08-2015, 15:34   #5922
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
I've give up on Sky sports given the price, I shall just get a now TV day pass when the Boro are away and on Sky
I haven`t got a device capable of accessing Now TV unfortunately so I`l probably end up subbing to sky sports again for another sson. Looking at the Virgin website i see you can only sub to the sky sports bundle now and not chose either sky sports 1 & 4 or sky sports 2 &3? Shame really yo can`t pick and choose really,isn`t it?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 16:01   #5923
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

thought bt would have had moved score to top
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 16:04   #5924
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

Quote:
I haven`t got a device capable of accessing Now TV unfortunately so I`l probably end up subbing to sky sports again for another sson. Looking at the Virgin website i see you can only sub to the sky sports bundle now and not chose either sky sports 1 & 4 or sky sports 2 &3? Shame really yo can`t pick and choose really,isn`t it?
You can normally pick up the now tv boxes with a couple of passes bundled in so essentially free
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 16:04   #5925
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You could get the now TV box £19.99 in Argos with a 2 day Sky sports pass

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/2484655.htm