Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 30-11-2014, 23:07   #4756
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Looks like intermittent noise on the upstream. This is deduced now that you have posted the modem stats. An upstream problem can be confirmed if your upstream power is not stable and reaches 54 dBmv.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2014, 23:12   #4757
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Looks like intermittent noise on the upstream. This is deduced now that you have posted the modem stats. An upstream problem can be confirmed if your upstream power is not stable and reaches 54 dBmv.
If the high power were due to noise it'd come with packet loss on the TBB monitor. If power is ramping up because periodic maintenance, which uses QPSK, isn't being seen then the 16QAM data bursts will be lost too.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 23:15   #4758
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Blairhoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
One thought that comes to mind is that you're running torrents with hundreds of peers connected and overwhelming your Superhub.

The ping times suggest you're constantly seeding.
I do seed a lot mate but that is nothing new, it was never an issue in the past, only this week

I mean these outages are happening when am not seeding, like when the computer is switched off
Blairhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 23:29   #4759
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If the high power were due to noise it'd come with packet loss on the TBB monitor. If power is ramping up because periodic maintenance, which uses QPSK, isn't being seen then the 16QAM data bursts will be lost too.
I knew you'd come in on that. But if the noise occurs only at the time of the resets (which is possible) then we have an explanation.

If he posts on the VM forum the team there will be able to say what's happening. Of course there are the other possibilities of SH failing (I doubt that) or a problem in the common part of the network in which case neighbours would see the same.

Old 30-11-2014, 23:35   #4760
Blairhoyle
Inactive

this is a joke, that is the 4th outage now since 6pm.

I can't understand how my seeding has anything to do with this...I do a lot of seeding around the weekends and have done for years and NEVER have I had this amount of outages in one day, never mind just this week, in fact it never happened period.

A fella I spoke to on the Paisley connection (I assume that will be via Uddingston) said he's had a similar problem over the last 2 weeks.

I've just spent another 30 minutes on to the phone trying to get through to VM with no joy, hopefully I get a response to the thread I made on the VM forum + I've sent a complaint.

Old 30-11-2014, 23:35   #4761
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I knew you'd come in on that. But if the noise occurs only at the time of the resets (which is possible) then we have an explanation.
Doesn't explain how you deduced it from the modem stats. If there is no noise the upstream power will normalise straight away - as soon as periodic maintenance and response are exchanged CMTS will tell modem to back off to avoid the modem causing problems by overpowering return path laser.

To perceive noise as a cause from modem stats you'd need to see high upstream transmit power at the time of the issue.

Needs a tech either way. The upstream transmit is a little high and out of kilter with the forward path.

EDIT: T3 count would be useful.
Old 01-12-2014, 00:09   #4762
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Quote:

Will post it in the morning mate just away to bed, my computer is off now so will be interesting to see if there is any outage.

Was seeding yesterday and had no outage then 4 quite quick today
Old 01-12-2014, 08:05   #4763
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Doesn't explain how you deduced it from the modem stats. If there is no noise the upstream power will normalise straight away - as soon as periodic maintenance and response are exchanged CMTS will tell modem to back off to avoid the modem causing problems by overpowering return path laser.

To perceive noise as a cause from modem stats you'd need to see high upstream transmit power at the time of the issue.

Needs a tech either way. The upstream transmit is a little high and out of kilter with the forward path.

The high upstream power shown in the stats was what led me to the possible deduction. So I asked Blair to see if the power was ramping.

Incidentally for Blair, the T3 count is best obtained IMO by using the stats from the ROUTER STATUS link at the top right of the GUI screen rather than logging into the GUI.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:27   #4764
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Quote:
The high upstream power shown in the stats was what led me to the possible deduction. So I asked Blair to see if the power was ramping.

Incidentally for Blair, the T3 count is best obtained IMO by using the stats from the ROUTER STATUS link at the top right of the GUI screen rather than logging into the GUI.
Where do I get them?

---------- Post added at 07:27 ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 ----------

T3 Count via Router Status:

US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 2.0 N/A N/A
Channel ID 4 5 N/A N/A
Frequency (Hz) 37600000 Hz 31000000 Hz N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success Success N/A N/A
Modulation QAM16 QAM16 N/A N/A
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec) 5120000 5120000 N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 128 128 N/A N/A
Power Level (dBmV) 51.3 dBmV 52.5 dBmV N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 0 N/A N/A
T2 Timeouts 0 0 N/A N/A
T3 Timeouts 0 0 N/A N/A
T4 Timeouts 0 0 N/A N/A

Upstream Burst Req
(1) Init Maint
(3) Per Maint
(4) Adv Short
(9) Adv Long
(10) Adv UGS
(11)
Modulation Type 16QAM 16QAM 16QAM 16QAM 16QAM 16QAM
Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off Off
Preamble Length 36 384 384 64 64 64
Preamble Value Offset 396 6 6 396 396 396
FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 6 8 8
FEC Codeword Information Bytes (K) 16 34 34 76 231 236
Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 4 0 26
Guard Time Size 22 48 48 22 22 22
Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short Short
Scrambler On/Off On On On On On On

Network Log First Time Last Time Priority Error Number Description
30/10/2014 22:28:32 30/10/2014 22:28:32 Critical (3) 82000400 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=4c:60:de:1c:c1:60;CMTS-MAC=00:21:d8:d1:8c:43;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

T3 Status from Logging into the GUI:

Modem Initialisation Stage Status
Downstream Acquisition Locked
Primary Frequency 299000000 Hz
DHCP Complete
TFTP Complete
Time Of Day 07:25:53
Security Enabled
Counters T1,T2,T3,T4,Sync,Resets 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
Old 01-12-2014, 09:00   #4765
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
There would be packet loss during periods of high upstream power if they were in response to noise. Upstream power rises because there's no response to station maintenance, either because it was drowned out due to noise or some other impediment or more rarely because of a problem on the downstream.

While power is ramping up TBB monitor will show loss as the data (ping response to TBB) fails to get through to the CMTS along with the station maintenance.

---------- Post added at 08:00 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhoyle View Post
Network Log First Time Last Time Priority Error Number Description
30/10/2014 22:28:32 30/10/2014 22:28:32 Critical (3) 82000400 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=4c:60:de:;CMTS-MAC=00:21:d8:d1:8c:43;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Okay thanks - there's a problem on the downstream here going by this, and likely close to your home. The guys on the VM forum should be able to sort you a tech visit.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:08   #4766
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Okay thanks - there's a problem on the downstream here going by this, and likely close to your home. The guys on the VM forum should be able to sort you a tech visit.
how long it take for the VM forum guy to respond?

I posted up the forum on Friday morning I think.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30   #4767
Sephiroth
Simples

Blair

I've suspected upstream because of the high power level. Igni has correctly pointed out that upstream power ramping can occur because the downstream is playing up and the modem can't respond to maintenance requests it doesn't understand.

Igni has also said (more or less) that there isn't enough evidence of packet loss in the TBB graph to signify an upstream problem.

On balance, he's prolly right! He does point out that T4 events due to the downstream are rare-ish.

Anyway, it takes three or four days for the VM bods to reply over there but they'll tell you what's going on.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:47   #4768
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Quote:
Blair

I've suspected upstream because of the high power level. Igni has correctly pointed out that upstream power ramping can occur because the downstream is playing up and the modem can't respond to maintenance requests it doesn't understand.

Igni has also said (more or less) that there isn't enough evidence of packet loss in the TBB graph to signify an upstream problem.

On balance, he's prolly right! He does point out that T4 events due to the downstream are rare-ish.

Anyway, it takes three or four days for the VM bods to reply over there but they'll tell you what's going on.
thanks for the response guys.

will VM forum be able to deduce what the problem is by simply checking from their end?

I haven't posted these stats on to my original forum post and I don't want to go back and post them because I think that 3 day wait then starts over again.

do you suspect this has happened off the back of the 152MB upgrade?

Sorry for the questions, I've been following you two's conversation and I must admit, it would probably be better off written in Chinese for that is how much I understand of it
Old 01-12-2014, 09:55   #4769
Sephiroth
Simples

The 3 day wait shouldn't start again. They do like as much info as possible so that they can compare what they see now with what you saw then.

As to the exchange between Igni and myself, he usually has the trumps. That's Chinese for a bigger wi.......

Old 01-12-2014, 10:04   #4770
Blairhoyle
Inactive

what is the best way to post those stats on the VM forum?

I remember someone saying to it was best to post it in a certain format