Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor WiFi coverage

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Can All Areas Get 300Mb?

Old 18-03-2017, 16:27   #1
ethan103
cf.addict

Services: VM350, Sky Q Silver.
ethan103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can All Areas Get 300Mb?

I'm currently on 200 Gamer and wanted to know if all areas can upgrade to HomeWorks 300 or only certain areas?

Currently:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/12227071
ethan103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2017, 18:06   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Can All Areas Get 300Mb?

Not every area yet, ongoing upgrades will provide it nationwide through 2017.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 21:52   #3
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Out of interest what upgrade is it that gives an area 300 Mb/s capability? Is it the number of downstream channels available?

As an example my area is fed from New Malden - Cisco CMTS with 12 downstreams and 2 upstreams available. 300 Mb/s is not available here.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 01:00   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

They replace the actual CMTS for a start.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:01   #5
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

They must look at current utilisation as well, I'm on an ancient CMTS with 12/2 channels and on VIVID 300.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 19:31   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Spot on, the upgrades involve massive infrastructure works at the technical sites/headends. Changes from the legacy UBR10K and BSR64K to the newer Arris E6000 and Cisco CBR8 are part of those works. Utilisation can be a huge problem as well so even a technical upgrade to a new CMTS might not allow 300Mb launch in an area as further node segmentation could be required. Perversely, 300Mb can be offer in areas that haven't had an upgrade if there is suitable capacity and low utilisation, these speeds can be offered on legacy CMTS areas.

Its all very complicated

Old 21-03-2017, 21:54   #7
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Not entirely relevant to the original query and sorry for that, but..

I have often wondered how to tell how many DS your area has. I can obviously view my DS-config via the SH status, but let's say I'm on DS9-16... how do you know if that's the lot or if there are more out there?
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:17   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

300Mbps is coming to all areas http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33704648
Old 22-03-2017, 21:53   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Not entirely relevant to the original query and sorry for that, but..

I have often wondered how to tell how many DS your area has. I can obviously view my DS-config via the SH status, but let's say I'm on DS9-16... how do you know if that's the lot or if there are more out there?

You wouldn't know, that's the short answer

Downstream and upstream channels are deployed per CMTS and line card so some nodes on a CMTS may have more than others due to segmentation work or extra capacity being added if its an exceptionally high use channel.

There is no hard and fast rule that you will have a specific amount of upstream or downstream channels as there are many variables that affect performance. Your service should be no better or worse if you have less or more channels than someone else on the network.

Also having more channels doesn't necessarily mean a poorer regional service, it could just be upgrade work has happened on a CMTS before other areas.

HTH