Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 100Mb now available in NW London

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM 30 meg BB

Old 29-06-2012, 08:49   #1
praxis
Inactive

praxis is on a distinguished roadpraxis is on a distinguished road
VM 30 meg BB

Hi

Up till last weekend I had 50 Meg BB I changed it to 30 meg.When I had 50 Meg prior to the upload speed upgrade (not the new one that Usain Bolt is advertising) but the one that was announced last year my upload speed was approx 240/250kB/s. After the 2011 upgrade it went to between 600/650kB/s.
I have now noticed 30 Meg upload is average 240kB/s I would have thought it should be slightly more around 300/325kB/s ? Anyone shed any light on this before I make a phone call ?

Cheers
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2012, 09:54   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: VM 30 meg BB

VM have reduced upload speed ratios on all new tariffs as they don't have enough capacity.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 10:01   #3
praxis
Inactive

praxis is on a distinguished roadpraxis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
VM have reduced upload speed ratios on all new tariffs as they don't have enough capacity.

So in other words i went down 20 meg and went back to what i had before the 2011 upgrade ? ya got to love it and they wonder why the UK is going back to the dark ages :lol:
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 10:04   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yes. They'll fix it eventually though.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:32   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That's not true though - they just haven't increased them for the new tiers yet, whereas they have for the downstream.

L 30 is a lower tier than XL 30 was, so has a lower upstream and it also costs less.

XL60 has the same 3Mbit upstream that XL30 does

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis View Post
So in other words i went down 20 meg and went back to what i had before the 2011 upgrade ? ya got to love it and they wonder why the UK is going back to the dark ages :lol:
If you are comparing what you are on now to the tiers available last year, you've actually gone to L and what was 10Mbit.

Due to a quirk in the way the tiers changes work in areas that haven't yet had the mass downstream uplifts, if you drop down a single tier from XXL to XL your downstream speed actually goes up from 50Mbit to 60Mbit, but your upstream goes to 3Mbit - which matches what XL30 has
Old 29-06-2012, 10:35   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

It is true, all the new tariffs have lower upload speed ratios than the old tariffs, and always have had since they were implemented

Note VM also no longer advertise their size ratings on the website, it is simply based on speed - 30, 60, 100.

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

If you are comparing what you are on now to the tiers available last year, you've actually gone to what was 10Mbit.
That's irrelevant though, he asked for 30. 30 this year has a lower upload speed ratio than 30 did last year.

Chances are he was not sold it as L or XL (nor should an average consumer be expected to know or care), he was sold it as 30.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:38   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That's irrelevant though, he asked for 30. 30 this year has a lower upload speed ratio than 30 did last year.

Chances are he was not sold it as L or XL (nor should an average consumer be expected to know or care), he was sold it as 30.
And the 30/2 product he now has is cheaper than the 30/3 product was.

If the OP wants he can now upgrade to XL60 which has a 3Mbit upload and pay around the same price that XL30 was
Old 29-06-2012, 10:59   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Or VM could hurry up and provide the consistent 10:1 ratio they said they would.
Old 30-06-2012, 19:51   #9
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

So are VM going to increase the upload speeds on the 30 and 60 Mb tiers, or are they leaving them at the levels already mentioned?

I ask as the main selling point for my remaining with them was the improved performance gained from a 10:1 ratio.

Seriously, they could leave me with a 10 Mb download capability and charge the same, it's the upload increase i actually need.
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 14:52   #10
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by watzizname View Post
So are VM going to increase the upload speeds on the 30 and 60 Mb tiers, or are they leaving them at the levels already mentioned?

I ask as the main selling point for my remaining with them was the improved performance gained from a 10:1 ratio.

Seriously, they could leave me with a 10 Mb download capability and charge the same, it's the upload increase i actually need.
All services apart from 120Mb/s will one day have the 10:1 ratio.
They all ready have the traffic management figures set up for when all the upgrades to upstream are done. Right down the bottom..
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 16:01   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
All services apart from 120Mb/s
Says who
Old 01-07-2012, 20:29   #12
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

VM when they announced the planned free 100Mb/s to 120Mb/s speed increase ages ago.
Down load boost only the announcement was... because its another free speed boost after all other upgrades were done. 50Mb/s go to 100Mb/s and those on original 100Mb/s bump to 120Mb/s but upstream stay the same...for both...
Unless your saying the 120Mb/s upgrade has been ditched...because I was wondering why it was not listed...
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:22   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
Down load boost only the announcement was...
I don't recall seeing this. Got a link?
Old 02-07-2012, 00:12   #14
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

that will stick with the 10:1 ratio of 120/12
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote