Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Extending cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Is it possible to combine virgin cable broadband and normal terrestrial TV?

Old 10-05-2011, 21:49   #1
TheWire
Inactive

Services: Boadband, supposed to have phone.
TheWire is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible to combine virgin cable broadband and normal terrestrial TV?

As I have already posted a few weeks back, the Virgin engineers removed my aerial and used the internal wiring in the walls for the cable modem, I do not have the TV service from Virgin.

The fact is they were just being lazy as it was a very short distance they would have had to of cabled if they put in another cable but I was given the choice of take it or leave it.

I used to work in Satellite's and I know it is pretty easy to combine various signals but in the absence of much knowledge about the nature of the broadband signal, I am unsure.... it must be possible but a search of the internet has not turned up any equipment, maybe I could just use a powered fused T connector and try that

Any ideas and I'd be great full.
TheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 21:55   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Is it possible to combine virgin cable broadband and normal terrestrial TV?

They shouldn't have removed the aerial wiring. That is your property, not theirs. They should have added the correct cabling.

I would advise contacting Virgin and asking them to fix what they have done.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 21:59   #3
TheWire
Inactive

Services: Boadband, supposed to have phone.
TheWire is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a number for Virgin that is not an 08 number, just a regular land line or mobile? Because they are also 3 months late installing my phone I am stuck with my mobile and those 08 numbers are expensive to call. Thanks for your response.
TheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:14   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Try looking it up on http://www.saynoto0870.com/
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:16   #5
thedavid2007
Inactive

thedavid2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

It might be worth phoning virgin media in the UK (not india) and explaining to them that the engineer left you without any TV ask them for a cable box free of charge.
thedavid2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 20:54   #6
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough

If you're saying your broadband connection is running on TV grade coaxial cable, it would be interesting to know how good your connection is.

Either way, they shouldn't have done this and you shouldn't have agreed - should have complained to them and got a more professional engineer out.

If you know anyone with a Virgin fixed line phone, you can call them free on 150.
inneedofhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 23:28   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Combining any other signal in the same cable as Virgin's is a definate no-no. Virgin also use the TV part of the spectrum, and you may also feed interference back down the network and affect other users.

Sounds like another contractor bodge up. Virgin should come back in and do the job properly so you can use your aerial system for the purpose it was intended.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 00:50   #8
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light

You should repost you complaint here :- http://community.virginmedia.com/
I would post in one of the Broadband forums and also the Tv forum it will be picked up by a forum team member who will help you sort it out over the internet as you dont have a landline.just register then post. Hope this helps and you get sorted soon
scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote