Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Build Woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

New Build Woes

Old 07-06-2017, 11:29   #46
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Build Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
You have really high expectations! You need to reign it in a bit!

Next Friday is pretty quick, considering you've only just been given the date.
Haha you're right. I'm just desperate! Still... only two days to go now. Some guys came to pull through the cable so hopefully there'll be no problems on a Friday morning.

So excited!
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2017, 18:03   #47
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

A friend of mine lives in a street where the opposite side from where he lives is fibered but his side isnt.

He contacted virgin about having his side connected and was told that the council refuse them to allow them to close part of the road and dig it up because its on the main driving test route and they do not want to allow disruption.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 19:37   #48
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson View Post
Haha you're right. I'm just desperate! Still... only two days to go now. Some guys came to pull through the cable so hopefully there'll be no problems on a Friday morning.

So excited!
So how did it go.... You've gone quiet on this one...
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:57   #49
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
So how did it go.... You've gone quiet on this one...
Ok, so we got installed on Friday. Guy seemed very unsure and took over two hours, but we have fibre now! Very happy with the broadband. TV probably we won't keep, but it was one of those deals where it's cheaper to have it than not! 🙄

My only slight concern is that he unwired our BT master socket and used that for the Virgin socket to maintain the extension wiring that was connected to the BT socket. Not sure that's standard - the BT cable now routes via the brown Virgin box externally. Not sure what's going on inside.

But I'm happy with the speed. It's a real relief to have first world internet!
Old 12-06-2017, 13:30   #50
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson View Post
Ok, so we got installed on Friday. Guy seemed very unsure and took over two hours, but we have fibre now! Very happy with the broadband. TV probably we won't keep, but it was one of those deals where it's cheaper to have it than not! 🙄

My only slight concern is that he unwired our BT master socket and used that for the Virgin socket to maintain the extension wiring that was connected to the BT socket. Not sure that's standard - the BT cable now routes via the brown Virgin box externally. Not sure what's going on inside.

But I'm happy with the speed. It's a real relief to have first world internet!
That sounds good, as for the BT socket this is standard in new builds, they extension wiring always seems to be wired to the BT socket rather than the Virgin one.

As for the time, i'm sure that's because he had to work out how the wiring was done as no plans are provided to the installers... they have to work it out on the job
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 13:44   #51
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
That sounds good, as for the BT socket this is standard in new builds, they extension wiring always seems to be wired to the BT socket rather than the Virgin one.

As for the time, i'm sure that's because he had to work out how the wiring was done as no plans are provided to the installers... they have to work it out on the job
He was very pleasant, so no real complaints about the installer.

I'd have thought VM would install their own master socket and then just attach the extension wiring to that instead of the BT socket. Not sure what I'd do if I wanted, e.g. a BT phone line and Virgin internet. I guess the BT guy would have the open the Virgin box and reconnect the BT cable to the master socket?

Normally when you have a phone line already, they won't send an engineer, so I don't know how this would work.

It's sort of moot, as I can't see us moving away from Virgin given how abhorrent the ADSL service is in this area. Still, I'd like to think it's been done properly.
Old 12-06-2017, 16:11   #52
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

He's taken over your BT socket so you'll need an installer to visit if you do switch to the Openreach network in future. But this is fairly standard practice. People don't want two different master sockets, it makes more sense just to have the one and then to use that for whatever service you have at the time.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 19:16   #53
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I didn't think anyone except Openreach was meant to be touching the wiring that leads into the back of an NTE5.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 12:01   #54
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
I didn't think anyone except Openreach was meant to be touching the wiring that leads into the back of an NTE5.
Welcome to the real world though. It's very, very common.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 13:21   #55
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

In a new build if the builders pre wire the house with only one master socket then whoever uses the master socket first owns it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 13:35   #56
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
In a new build if the builders pre wire the house with only one master socket then whoever uses the master socket first owns it
Yeah it definitely seems like every installation is different, and the poor engineers have to work it out as they go along. You’d think home builders would work with Virgin and install everything in a standardised way - ditto the BT stuff.

Cala seem to have pre-wired everything, including there being a telephone socket that was NOT part of the extension wiring (there’s another phone socket next to it that IS on the extension loop) that was next to the living room Virgin port. I’d have assumed that the Virgin socket would be that one but perhaps the extension wiring couldn’t be connected to it.

I feel for the engineers as every day must be a new obstacle!