Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | speedtest.net

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

speedtest.net

Old 09-05-2012, 14:50   #16
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: speedtest.net

as has been mentioned, checking from within the network proves nothing

mentioned above that 3rd parts speed tests can be erratic mostly means theres congestion somewhere between you and speed test server
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 15:11   #17
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
as has been mentioned, checking from within the network proves nothing
Exactly. I've said dozens of times, if you want to know what your local connection speed is, check your modem status page.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:04   #18
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road

I find speedtest to be pretty much useless across all its servers.

The speeds just arent at all accurate. If you've got an out of date or dodgy version of flash, it throws the results off, if the servers are being used by others, it throws the result off.

It's just too variable to be used as an accurate measure. Not a single one of them can measure 100mb performance either (at least today).
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:20   #19
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
I find speedtest to be pretty much useless across all its servers.
Define useless?

Quote:
The speeds just arent at all accurate. If you've got an out of date or dodgy version of flash, it throws the results off, if the servers are being used by others, it throws the result off.
just update flash?

And most of the servers are at least gigabit, some only 100mbit though

Quote:
It's just too variable to be used as an accurate measure. Not a single one of them can measure 100mb performance either (at least today).
Its not 100% accurate, but it gives a very good picture, and they are all capable of 100mbit, thats one of the requirements to host a server
Old 09-05-2012, 16:38   #20
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
... and they are all capable of 100mbit, thats one of the requirements to host a server
Which is a lot more than can be said for some VM peering links and a huge number of oversubscribed local areas.

If Speedtest.net (try more than one of their major servers) isn't showing you your headline speed on a wired connection with the Superhub in modem modem and either direct into a modern PC or through a reasonable quality router then the first suspect is probably VM. By all means try multiple file downloads from other sources but downloading from anything within the VM network eliminates peering which is probably to blame for as many problems as oversubscription IMO.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 17:23   #21
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Which is a lot more than can be said for some VM peering links and a huge number of oversubscribed local areas.

If Speedtest.net (try more than one of their major servers) isn't showing you your headline speed on a wired connection with the Superhub in modem modem and either direct into a modern PC or through a reasonable quality router then the first suspect is probably VM. By all means try multiple file downloads from other sources but downloading from anything within the VM network eliminates peering which is probably to blame for as many problems as oversubscription IMO.
my point exactly
Old 09-05-2012, 17:37   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

And my point exactly.

VM's own local network != the internet. You don't buy an internet connection to access VM's internal network.
Old 09-05-2012, 21:24   #23
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

The engineer from Virgin who installed my new router 3 weeks ago suggested speedtest.net isn't reliable as there isn't many hosts in the UK who host a server which supports up to up to 100mb. According to the engineer, Preston is the best server for people to use when testing their 100mb connection.

I'm just repeating what I was told. I have no idea if it's the truth. I'm not really an internet guy in these forums, I tend to post over in the TV section
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 21:58   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Most UK servers can do well over 100mb fine.

Most VM connections can't. That's a problem with the VM connection not the speedtest server.

Preston is one of the worst servers for VM customers, even though it's hosted on VM's network.
Old 09-05-2012, 23:12   #25
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

The Virgin engineer I had at my home 3 weeks ago used the following to test my broadband speed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
This gives me 58MB - 60Mb every time I test. I like this one.

Speedtest.net still gives me around 20mb
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

You "like" a test because it gives you better results?

I "like" turning Kaspersky on and getting 250mbps results on a 50mb line. Doesn't make it any good though.

(Incidentally I get 10/20/46 on the BT test and 45 on Speedtest.net, just goes to show how good it is...)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39   #27
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The engineer from Virgin who installed my new router 3 weeks ago suggested speedtest.net isn't reliable as there isn't many hosts in the UK who host a server which supports up to up to 100mb. According to the engineer, Preston is the best server for people to use when testing their 100mb connection.

I'm just repeating what I was told. I have no idea if it's the truth. I'm not really an internet guy in these forums, I tend to post over in the TV section
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:15   #28
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road

Back to my point - it IS unreliable.

Yes, the servers can support 100mbps, but only when its not busy.

As an example, I did a test on the maidenhead server. I got a 25mb result.
I did a test less than a minute later on another server (Manchester) and got my full 100mb.

I then did all the UK tests - not a single other one of them could get up to 100.

You're deluded if you actually think these tests give any form of accurate result, its simply not possible to do it when you've got umpty-dozen other people doing tests too.
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:22   #29
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

No, they're perfectly accurate, you're just deluded in what you think they're supposed to measure.

It's your internet connection that cannot support 100mbps when it is busy, not the speedtest server.

Lancaster gives over 500mbps at peak times even with the umpty-dozen other tests it is doing. Manchester does over 350 and Maidenhead over 300.

Here's a list of nearby Speedtest.net servers that can do over 100, all tests were done at peak time.

Code:
Server      Country   Download Upload  Ping 20/30mb 50/60mb  100/120mb

Lancaster       UK      520.7  278.9    5   Yes       Yes        Yes
Luxembourg      LU      304.8  226.9   18   Yes       Yes
Massy           FR      297.2  225.4   21   Yes       Yes        Yes
Manchester      UK      246.2  158.8   11   Yes       Yes        Yes
Contern         LU      235.4  211.0   19   Yes       Yes        Yes
Naaldwijk       NL      220.6  161.0   25   Yes       Yes        Yes
Malmo           DK      207.8  149.1   34   Yes       Yes        Yes
Merzig          LU      196.8  157.2   31   Yes       Yes        Yes
Steinsel        LU      196.7  228.2   19   Yes       Yes        Yes
Mechelen        BE      192.9  182.6   27   Yes       Yes        Yes
Alkmaar         NL      184.9  160.5   26   Yes       Yes        Yes
Clichy          FR      183.4  190.1   19   Yes       Yes        Yes
Eindhoven       NL      167.7  170.8   28   Yes       Yes        Yes
Bonneville      FR      163.5  160.2   30   Yes       Yes        Yes
Aubervilliers   FR      158.9  211.6   21   Yes       Yes        Yes
Paris           FR      115.3  127.5   22   Yes       Yes
Lyon            FR      106.3  175.5   30   Yes       Yes

Cappelle Ij     NL      364.5   36.4   21   Yes       Yes        Yes
Maidstone       UK      277.8   57.6   11   Yes       Yes        Yes
Kingston UH     UK      262.0   36.9   20   Yes       Yes        Yes
Rotterdam Qweb  NL      248.5   51.5   20   Yes       Yes        Yes
Capelle         NL      243.2   51.5   31   Yes       Yes        Yes
Roubaix         FR      205.7   46.2   15   Yes       Yes
Randers         DK      188.3   54.3   39   Yes       Yes        Yes
Bournemouth     UK      167.4   26.2   13   Yes       Yes        Yes
Veendam         NL      167.2   16.6   22   Yes       Yes
London          UK      138.0   36.7   11   Yes       Yes        Yes
Dublin Eircom   IE      137.7   16.6   30   Yes       Yes
Ashford         UK      128.3   42.3   12   Yes       Yes
Sittingbourne   UK      123.0   51.2   12   Yes       Yes
Old 10-05-2012, 14:23   #30
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You "like" a test because it gives you better results?
Maybe I should have put a smiley on it.

An update:

wired via speedtest.net: 14MB Down, 2.7Up
wired via bbc: 63 MB Down
wired via playstation3: 18MB Down, 2.1 Up
wired via http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ : 40MB UP 2.6MB Down

These speedtests are a load of crunk.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote