Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Finding an address from just a phone number?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Rca male to speaker cable

Old 18-09-2009, 19:19   #1
mickinblack
Inactive

mickinblack is an unknown quantity at this point
Rca male to speaker cable

Hello
Im looking to attach a male rca head only to speaker cable,the one with the 2 ends that seperate and you put into back of amp or stero.
Is there a adator to do this or is it a case of solidering one on,id rather avoid that and much rather make my own than pay vast amouts for the distance i want..
Any help on this be great...
I have the cable and rca head i just want to attach it too one end of the cable one end rca the other end wire.
mickinblack is offline Reply With Quote
mickinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2009, 19:29   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Rca male to speaker cable

How long do you need it?!
Old 18-09-2009, 19:36   #3
mickinblack
Inactive

At the moment about 5 metres..
But next year im looking to extend to 20 metres
Old 18-09-2009, 19:38   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Well couldn't you just get this for now and strip the plugs off one end?

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...12-metres.html

Cost £1.82 for 10 metre
Old 18-09-2009, 19:40   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

If you're really after decent speaker cable and are up to it, you could always get a RCA jack from Maplin or similar and solder it yourself
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 19:46   #6
mickinblack
Inactive

Im looking into that now just get the rca to rca and snip the end i have did that already..
Im quite surprised rhat no adaptors or cable exist for rca to speaker cable..
I get a budget one and next year look into doing the same with a more expensive rca to rca ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
If you're really after decent speaker cable and are up to it, you could always get a RCA jack from Maplin or similar and solder it yourself

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

I already have a rca jack and cable.
Im thinking of giveing it a go as in soldering it on,what have i got to lose.Just have to get a soldering set

Quote:
Old 18-09-2009, 19:47   #7
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Usually the ones that use RCA jacks to connect to an amp are bespoke to that manufacture, Sony uses their own plugs and with the expensive ones there are normally just speaker terminals

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Just make sure that the central pin one has no contact with the outer casing and vice versa and you should be fine
Old 18-09-2009, 19:57   #8
mickinblack
Inactive

Thanks for your help
I have some speaker cable i just get a soldering set and if it works out ok i get some good quilty cable and do it myself..
Again thanks for your advice

Quote:
Usually the ones that use RCA jacks to connect to an amp are bespoke to that manufacture, Sony uses their own plugs and with the expensive ones there are normally just speaker terminals

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Just make sure that the central pin one has no contact with the outer casing and vice versa and you should be fine
Old 18-09-2009, 20:30   #9
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Does quality in speaker wire really matter? Or it is down to gauge only? Some of the wires you find on line for like £30 - £600 a metre which promise an earth shattering experience sounds to me like a big con, or is it?

I liked that monster cable vs coat hanger article, which probably does say it all anyway.
Old 18-09-2009, 20:34   #10
mickinblack
Inactive

Theres a lot of truth in what you say..
But im not talking big amouts of money i mean as a cheap cable would be 50p a metre to a decent one at 1pound a metre,i wouldnt now pay silly money then again maybe the cheapist cable going is as good as the most expensive out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutkp View Post
Does quality in speaker wire really matter? Or it is down to gauge only? Some of the wires you find on line for like £30 - £600 a metre which promise an earth shattering experience sounds to me like a big con, or is it?

I liked that monster cable vs coat hanger article, which probably does say it all anyway.
Old 18-09-2009, 21:04   #11
Graham M
-

Quality of cable when it comes to Analogue signals is quite important, at the end of the day it's down to what you expect to see/hear
Old 18-09-2009, 21:17   #12
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quality of cable when it comes to Analogue signals is quite important, at the end of the day it's down to what you expect to see/hear
Is there any proof in that? Or like that HDMI thread where if you pay more then placebo effect tends to comes in to it.
Old 18-09-2009, 21:41   #13
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Analogue (audio, video) is not the same as digital like HDMI is, and the quality of your cable is key.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 22:04   #14
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
Analogue (audio, video) is not the same as digital like HDMI is, and the quality of your cable is key.
I used HDMI as an analogy that people can clearly see. People have paid out and said the pic/sound/quality has improved, the old placebo chestnut. I know with scart etc it does matter but that wasn't what I was on about.

But as we're on about speaker cabling, it's about whether or not paying £1 a metre is the same as THX Certified cabling, apart from the gauge I can not find any evidence online apart from 'opinions'.
Old 18-09-2009, 22:25   #15
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

eHem....

Networking??

Should this be in Technology??