Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 31-05-2012, 18:10   #751
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked

Ok I have just done a test.

A film was legally distributed on the piratebay called nasty old people.

When I add the tracker on my VM connection all the trackers timeout, only 2 of the trackers are piratebay.

I then installed utorrent on a windows server I got in a DC and added the tracker to it, some of the trackers still dont work but 3 trackers on that work fine.

So it would appear either VM are blocking more than piratebay or their torrent traffic shaping is extreme enough to cause connections to not complete. Incidently the movie downloaded in 14 seconds on the server in the DC, I wonder how fast it would have been on my VM line had it made a connection to a tracker.

Incidently kwikbreaks is bang on the money, I seen the bbc news article on he piratebay and it had a logo showing the piratebay homepage. that logo made me interested, I visited the site via a proxy and found out they making movies, the first been nasty old people and a 2nd one is in progress now.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2012, 18:25   #752
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Yep i think the point has been proven that the rights owners will not win using the method they are using at the moment. So the thread has run its course.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 18:36   #753
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
So the thread has run its course.
True.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 18:55   #754
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Yes, and? People make errors. Hardly "news" and completely irrelevant

Also already being discussed here.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 20:29   #755
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

This doesn't have a distribution/publish date attributed to it so although it's under the 'latest news' section I don't know how up to date it is, but I think it is relevant to what is being discussed:

http://www.nfib.police.uk/nfib-and-b...ht-piracy.html
vmfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 21:45   #756
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Indeed. I do think that it is these groups that pose the bigger threat to the industries concerned than any single individual. Although, that said, thousands of "single individuals" cn soon add up
Old 01-06-2012, 13:37   #757
zer0
Inactive

Services: 60mbit
zer0 is on a distinguished roadzer0 is on a distinguished road

this ip is perfectly legal and not subject to a court order, no more slow proxies for me

<Deleted - CF has made it very clear we do not allow detail to be posted that allows the court order to be easily circumvented>
zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 14:40   #758
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfriend View Post
This doesn't have a distribution/publish date attributed to it so although it's under the 'latest news' section I don't know how up to date it is, but I think it is relevant to what is being discussed:

http://www.nfib.police.uk/nfib-and-b...ht-piracy.html
my maths might be wrong but that works out at £4 lose per track traded if every one shared would have been bought instead seems a bit high ? if my maths is right lol may not be as i am trying to count zeros lol
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 16:51   #759
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

It always makes me laugh when companies go out of there way to get other companies blocked for trading on various broadcasting site.

I have never heard of this 'pirate company, but it appears to me that 'we' the user are being told who we can contact, and who we can't.

We are already being told how much usage we can of BB on VM, If l pay for an Internet service, then l feel that l am legally entitled to use any site there is.

Or is it simply that 'A' has paid 'B' to use a site to make money out of us, and 'C' cannot.

Ie the football channel taken to court, as it broadcast from abroad, how petty and costly.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 17:05   #760
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Bless.......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 17:42   #761
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
It always makes me laugh when companies go out of there way to get other companies blocked for trading on various broadcasting site.

I have never heard of this 'pirate company, but it appears to me that 'we' the user are being told who we can contact, and who we can't.

We are already being told how much usage we can of BB on VM, If l pay for an Internet service, then l feel that l am legally entitled to use any site there is.

Or is it simply that 'A' has paid 'B' to use a site to make money out of us, and 'C' cannot.

Ie the football channel taken to court, as it broadcast from abroad, how petty and costly.
May the innocence of a child never be taken from you Arthur
Old 01-06-2012, 20:03   #762
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

Whats has happened is VM have been forced to waste customers money attempting to block a site. Money that has been wasted because the block has spectacular fail.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:37   #763
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Of course, if such sites didn't exist (and they only exist because some people like to steal stuff) then no such blocks would be necessary.
Old 01-06-2012, 21:21   #764
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Of course, if such sites didn't exist (and they only exist because some people like to steal stuff) then no such blocks would be necessary.
I use Pirate Bay to download the latest patches for Football Manager 2012 as well as the Real Time Editor. Why? Because they download fastest from there.

Explain to me again what it is I 'steal' from there?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 21:32   #765
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post

Not to say your wrong Carl but PTB is here for the purpose of giving people the right of view programmes/TV series/other material that the greedy copyright idiots/governments what to charge a huge sums for to line there own pocket & the share holders pockets without (company chief/s ex etc) taking any money away from themselves but getting the public to pay for them.

It's all about money + who gets more into their greedy little hands within the media industry may that music (they failed long time ago) film (near failing point) plus software companies etc knowing ripping most users/customers for some % profit margin for bonuses even charging extra plug-ins for this or that.

They can do what they like eg; media industry with there site blocks/direct DNS blocking/etc but PTB (pirate bay) with still be with us all, in some shape or form. Everyone knows that PTB put a solid plan to the media industry a few years ago on how they could make money (little less) plus have the public use legal versions of there media in one packet fits all solution but no, they didn't want to listen - the court cases proof that .

The media industry kept with there same old out dated model of rip off fees/prices - still are doing so ! Tight copyright rules - adding on more years for royalty fees to artists (Cliff Richard) then sowing everything else up on the way - the 2012 Olympics is a good one for you (copyright) you cannot put a flag up with the Olympic rings without paying a fee to do so, even a union jack flag or anything of that nature; look for yourself the copyright poilce are out & about as I type this up; slapping shop keepers/ private homes with big fines- thats sound fair to you? no it's not. The 2012 Olympics are public funded from government backed loans so it's tax payers property

I hope you get the chance to read this reply carl, then have insight on your prospective into the media world, it's build for public masses to enjoy but create wealth for the special few holding their so though-out high powered
position. I would like you to think about it carl as if you back the greedy money vampires of this world, your going to have a nasty shock when the world you think is right, crumbles away with your proceeded though of mind(from reading your reply - no offence).

To end my reply I hope one day people will just wake up to all these lies (media industry) + see how things can work for the benefit for all not the small few.

Peace out ~ Toonlight

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I use Pirate Bay to download the latest patches for Football Manager 2012 as well as the Real Time Editor. Why? Because they download fastest from there.

Explain to me again what it is I 'steal' from there?
You make a good point Russ PTB is good for that + other things, beside I saw a figure the over @68% on PTB is totally legal any how. What PTB has got is a good system for people to use, it's easy, quick & has endless subject list to choose from.

For me it's the TV series section or film section if a channel/s in my country won't or are late in showing that episode or series, where do think is next best place to go? you got it; PTB some times you wait to the end of the series then download it all in one go - you got it... no advertisements, no spam unlike todays modern TV programming. I rest my case

Resting my fingers..~ toonlight
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote