Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Old 11-03-2012, 22:36   #61
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
thansk peter you got one for a modem only iue no stnadaloen no wirless inbuilt or wired rotuer
The are quite a few different models they could have went with.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2012, 23:13   #62
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

So BT use the chinese company whose name sounds like someone is on the porcelain telephone. The very same company who VM trialled for the alternate supply of the Superhub. I wonder if it exceeded the expectations (thereby making the Netgear SH look even worse) so was canned.

I've always suspected VM actually have a reversed standard of quality :p
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 23:35   #63
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookdn View Post
I assume you're being ironic as VOIP (even using wideband audio codecs such as G722) requires 64 Kb/s per call channel.

Best regards
David
No I wasnt being ironic (well a bit) but why would VM just stop using the phone network they have recently invested hundereds of thousands of pounds in?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04   #64
leexgx
Inactive

Services: VM 100mb/5mb, Linksys E3200 super fast router, cable tv
leexgx is an unknown quantity at this point

the topic was about best Range, the dir-615 is quite an nice router i used a lot of them
---------------------
i lucky as i still have V2 50mb modem (not sh) but now they support modem mode as may Have to get one when 100mb comes (even thought my modem is currently set-up for 200 mode {4x51 links} but rate limited to 51)

i am an computer call out man work for my self so i deal with all sorts of issues

with the SH hub or any router is is disable the firewall settings and set the router to Fixed channel (1,6 or 11 as they are none over lapping channels) and set the router to 150 mode, 300 does not always work and some printers do not like 150 as well but i only set 54 mode if the printer is not happy

BT hubs they are just junk the N tech in the hubs is just about incompatible with most laptops and phones, printers, it is the main thing i fix for calls outs on BT hubs with laptops not connecting or stop working after some hrs
bt hubs setup all black ones set chan to 1,6,11 and set them to b and g mode, i never use N on them as they have to reboot the hub every day or hrs, or devices do not connect (if an BT man remotely logs in to the router they do the same thing so they are aware of it but do not fix it issue with the router as you Need N tech to get above 25-30mb speeds for infinity as most of the 5 customers i have seen get full rate FTTC speeds of 40mb, 1 got 15mb but that house was far from the FTTC cab still its better then 1mb on ADSL)

dir-615 is an nice router Very fast boot up time and quite stable (but prone to die'ing an little i got 2 of them right now that fail to boot i think one of the lights stay orange going to see if i can recover them)
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14   #65
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

A question doe qasi (and others who have done tests).

When I am at work I can pick up a Netgear wifi signal, with up to 2 bars on my iphone (which aren't good for wifi). The nearest domestic property is at least 150ft away. The signal is unsecured.

Is this likely to be a VM router, or an expensive alternative to have a range as good as that?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45   #66
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The netgear could be anyone of half a dozen different models. It also could be high up within a property which would increase it's range and you're more likely to receive a signal than transmit back to it.

Your question though is like asking "How long is a piece of string"
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:22   #67
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The netgear could be anyone of half a dozen different models. It also could be high up within a property which would increase it's range and you're more likely to receive a signal than transmit back to it.

Thanks Kymmy. The reason I asked is because some people were slating Netgear, and it seemed like good reception. There are some three story flats nearby, so it could be from a top floor of one of them. My phone does transmit through the wifi signal also.
Old 12-03-2012, 13:31   #68
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

It will be a bought netgear device, any VM device uses "VirginMedia12345" - and I doubt someone would change a VM router to "NETGEAR"
Old 12-03-2012, 13:34   #69
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Thanks Kymmy. The reason I asked is because some people were slating Netgear, and it seemed like good reception. There are some three story flats nearby, so it could be from a top floor of one of them. My phone does transmit through the wifi signal also.
There's so many variables dictating RF transmission and reception with someof them being the type of transmission, the frequency, the antenna, the antenna feed, the power, the position and orientation of the antenna, the surrounding enviroment..etc..etc..etc.. Also the recievers orientation and distance to the transmission is a major factor
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:40   #70
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
It will be a bought netgear device, any VM device uses "VirginMedia12345" - and I doubt someone would change a VM router to "NETGEAR"
My old VM Netgear router did come up as NETGEAR on the wifi list.
Old 12-03-2012, 13:44   #71
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

yeah thats not a VM device thats a netgear one - i presume it was supplied alongside a modem
Old 12-03-2012, 13:58   #72
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
yeah thats not a VM device thats a netgear one - i presume it was supplied alongside a modem
It was from VM, and it was a modem and router in one. I don't know the model, because I gave it to my brother. But it was a black rectangular box that stood upright on one edge. It was supplied with a dongle that when used in my laptop, worked far better than the built in wifi. I also remember that you to pair an item you had to press a button, and then you had 2 minutes to pair the device.
Old 12-03-2012, 14:08   #73
cookdn
Inactive

cookdn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No I wasnt being ironic (well a bit) but why would VM just stop using the phone network they have recently invested hundereds of thousands of pounds in?
Ah, that's a different consideration.

The BT Retail home hub uses a VOIP connection over the xDSL connection allowing multiple simultaneous calls (http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail..._activate.html). There is no reason that VM couldn't offer a similar service with suitable kit.

Best regards
David
cookdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:20   #74
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

Tim Deegan's question to Qasi was quite astute. Remember the modified Superhub*MOD EDIT* with two high gain antennae punting out the WiFi?

It's not Netgear kit per se that's got knackered wireless; it's the wretched SH which in router mode has just about knackered everything due to VM's spec.

There needs to be a new model as others have alluded to that has proven top line features and for which customers could pay if they wanted something more than get-you-going.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:22   #75
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

what is neil berkett email again, i want to email him mayeb he will reply doubt it but the questions and so i have will be pasted onto someone high up at the company
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote