Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Resistance 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PS3 HDD Upgrade.

Old 05-12-2010, 21:25   #1
James79
Inactive

Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb. 1 Additional VHD Box
James79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to James79
PS3 HDD Upgrade.

I have an older model PS3 with a 60GB HDD installed. Unfortunately, it appears that I have nearly filled the HDD and need more room!! Came to light thanks to GT!!

Anyhow - just wodering if anyone had any tips regarding what I should install!! I think its a better option to go for the internal model (backing up previous game saves and settings obviously).

Ive heard that it is safer to stick to a HDD not faster than 5400RPM. What Im not clear about is - what size should I go for!! Is there any limit cos Ive seen a 1TB HDD and it isnt much dearer than the 500GB - 700GB models!!

Cheers!!
James79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2010, 21:27   #2
Zing

Re: PS3 HDD Upgrade.

I bought a 640 gig western digital from Ebuyer for around 55 quid and installed that in mine
Old 05-12-2010, 21:30   #3
James79
Inactive

Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb. 1 Additional VHD Box
James79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks - I have to laugh - Im unlikely to fill a 500GB HDD never mind a 1TB!!

This is all GT5's fault!!
Old 05-12-2010, 21:34   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You need to make sure it's a 9.5mm high drive and not 12.5mm - as it won't fit
Old 05-12-2010, 21:36   #5
James79
Inactive

Best to find one with "Compatible with PS3" touted on it??!!
Old 05-12-2010, 21:38   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yup, although make sure they aren't trying to mark it up because of that!
Old 05-12-2010, 21:41   #7
James79
Inactive

Is it safer to stick to any particular brand names? Ive heard Seagate works well?!
Old 05-12-2010, 22:55   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I used a Western Digital drive, & I've heard good things about Seagate, too.

SATA, 5400rpm, & (as BenMrc said) 9.5mm not 12.5mm.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:35   #9
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I've upgraded a few friends older PS3 drives with the WD Scorpio Blue range of drives. I think the 120gb I got recently for a friends machine was under £25.
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 16:30   #10
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by James79 View Post
Is it safer to stick to any particular brand names? Ive heard Seagate works well?!
Seagate or WD both good as hdd's and I have heard both work.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 19:53   #11
James79
Inactive

Thanks folks - had a good look online and saw alot of good reviews for a samsung 640GB drive - so have ordered that one!!

Just an additional query - I have seen that in some cases, when the PS3 is restarted after that HDD has been changed, the system software need to be downloaded from a USB datastick.

I understand that the USB datastick has to be formatted in FAT32 (to allow the PS3 to recognise it). Basically, I have noticed that the (relatively new - less than a year old) datastick that I have is in "FAT" format. "Properties" does not specify "FAT32"!!

Will this make a difference, or should I reformat to "FAT32" just in case??

Thanks again!!
Old 09-12-2010, 20:34   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I don't know if it will make a difference, but I'd reformat in FAT32 anyway.

After you've formatted it, create the following folder within the root: "PS3"

And, within "PS3", create another folder: "UPDATE".

Grab the latest PS3 System Software from the official website (it seems to be down for me at the moment, so I can't find the link for you - it is easy to find though), and move the file ("PS3UPDAT.PUP") to the "UPDATE" folder on the USB stick.

The path should therefore be... "USBSTICKNAME:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP"
Old 09-12-2010, 21:47   #13
James79
Inactive

Thanks Matt.

Got the System Software alright - now all I have to do is await delivery of the HDD and dig out the old Philips Screwdriver!!
Old 10-12-2010, 00:04   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Good good. It's an easy job
Old 10-12-2010, 22:23   #15
James79
Inactive

The HDD arrived today, so got the philips screwdriver out to start the replacement. Thing is, the blue screw won't budge!! Tried for a while, but concerned that if I try anymore, I'll strip the head of the screw!!

Any tips in getting the screws out without stripping them or in the event that they get stripped??!!