Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Milton Keynes Cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Milton Keynes Cable

Old 11-01-2009, 19:45   #16
neilgl
Inactive

neilgl is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Milton Keynes Cable

Hi all,
cheers I will have a look at that Teletext Extra.

And yes my "digital" TV (Hitachi) has both an analogue and a digital tuner, later TVs won't need the analogue tuner.

Regards,
Neil
neilgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54   #17
eloceo
Inactive

eloceo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a little confused now. I pay the £4 p.m. to VM but I thought that was to cover my (BT) telephone line via the cable system. I don't use any of the VM television services (not even the analog). If BT still own the system, am I paying needlessly? If I cancel the subs with VM do I lose my telephone/broadband? Anyone know
eloceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 16:30   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

the £4 is for Cable TV. It has nothing to do with Phone or Broadband
Old 12-01-2009, 23:18   #19
neilgl
Inactive

Hi again,
yes eloceo, as BenMcr says, the £4 a month is for cable TV (analogue basic service)
You are probably also paying BT 10.00 a month or so for landline rental and paying someone (BT?) for broadband (which goes over the phone line). BT may legally own the cables and lease it to VM who can charge you, but I'm not sure.

I think there are several cables to each house from the main cable network - TV, phone and another phone.

Anyway, if you cancel the VM TV service, your phone/broadband won't be affected.

Regards,
Old 13-01-2009, 12:22   #20
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Isnt it possible to get Virgin Broadband over the analogue cable network there, if so then why not cancel BT phone and broadband and take out Virgin Broadband and Voip such as Vonage.

By doing that, you would be paying approx £25 for unlimited calls to landlines and high speed broadband with unlimited downloads. People pay BT £25 alone for Total broadband which is a rip off!

For Virgin Media in Milton Keynes and Westminster you need to call 0800-952-0345 as the other number is for non ex BT cable franchises.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 14:57   #21
neilgl
Inactive

Hi m419,
when I called them on that number (option 5) they said the "superfast" broadband was not available (fibre optic cable?) and said call Virgin National on 0845 045 001, who deal with BT landlines broadband. They did not seem to be dedicated to MK, they only knew it was analogue only after looking up postcode in their database.
Regards,
Neil
Old 13-01-2009, 15:10   #22
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

They seem to have to deleted Milton Keynes off the database for some reason because when I enter a Milton keynes postcode in,it says only Virgin off net services are available????

Although Westminster still says 'Only Analogue services are available'

However, some properties and parts of westminster have been upgraded so it looks like they are willing to invest in that area.

You really have to argue with them as the new sales and customer service departments arent used to the ex-BT franchises!

Getting High Speed cable broadband on a analogue cable franchise shouldnt be a problem, it has nothing to do with digital tv since the network or part of it is still fibre optic.

Milton Keynes and Westminster cable is provided by Virgin Media however, the actual network is owned by BT and Virgin Media lease it from BT. The Coaxial and fibre optic cabling providing the analogue tv and broadband generally runs along side BT's copper cable telephone lines, however a lot also runs in its owns ducts under the street.

The BT franchises are very old and are proving difficult to upgrade as its just one cable to each household which runs back to the base meaning that each and individual household would need to be upgraded which sounds costly! So Virgin Media would probably be better off rebuilding its own network and telling BT to jog on if it wants provide Digital TV.

In Westminster, Videotron built its phone network but no Cable TV as it would have overlapped BT's Cable network, Now both are owned/provided by Virgin Media and BT prevented NTL from offering Telephone over the own network by setting rules in there leasing arrangements. So BT are to blame for all the hassle in these areas!
Old 03-03-2009, 16:34   #23
neilgl
Inactive

Hi all,
saw on the BBC local news today that an MP had asked about it in the House of Commons yesterday. "stuck in the 70s"
LOL
Old 04-03-2009, 14:50   #24
neilgl
Inactive

Hi all,
on entering my MK postcode to VM ssales site:
It looks like you're in an 'analogue' area which means that you can get some of our great services, like fibre optic broadband, TV and home phone.

So, we can now get fibre optic bb - haha
Old 07-03-2009, 23:25   #25
jonhunt2000
Inactive

jonhunt2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I bought a new TV today with Freeview embedded in it, I am a little confused as when i plug this into the MK cable, I get Freeview!!!

Its a great picture, only BBC and Sky channels (plus Dave).

I can't find any details on what i should be able to get, I can't get ITV, CH4 or 5, should I be able to.

Whats going on? I don't have any extra boxes, I just plug the coax in th wall?
jonhunt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:27   #26
neilgl
Inactive

Hi
what make of TV is it, as it probably has both analogue and digital tuners in it, like my Hitachi does. It then auto tunes to whatever it can find.
Also, which Sky channels does it get? and has anyone taken out any subscription to VM TV services on that cable?
Some channels that appear on Freeview may also be available on the VM packages for analogue in MK (35 channels?) but I don't know what they are as I don't pay for the extra packages, I just have the basic £4 per month one.
Regards,
Neil
Old 08-03-2009, 16:44   #27
jonhunt2000
Inactive

jonhunt2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgl View Post
Hi
what make of TV is it, as it probably has both analogue and digital tuners in it, like my Hitachi does. It then auto tunes to whatever it can find.
Also, which Sky channels does it get? and has anyone taken out any subscription to VM TV services on that cable?
Some channels that appear on Freeview may also be available on the VM packages for analogue in MK (35 channels?) but I don't know what they are as I don't pay for the extra packages, I just have the basic £4 per month one.
Regards,
Neil
Its an LG 50PG3000, I get sky3, Sky Sports news and sky news. Whats strange is I get the freeview like menu, so are they pumping a limited set of freeview down the cable? I don't rreaaly understand what I am getting, and why i don't get ITV on the freeview stuff.
jonhunt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 18:43   #28
m419
Inactive

I think its analogue what you are viewing but your TV has been designed mainly for Digital viewing which is why you get that menu.

Well according to a post on Cable forum, BT has offered to upgrade this franchise for £3 Million,wonder if Virgin Media will agree to this?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04   #29
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Has Sky3 ever been sent down MK cable?

Maybe someone has seen the light and is experimenting with pushing Freeview down the system, which since it seems nobody can be arsed investing in the system to turn it into a proper digital cable network is probably the best that MK can hope for.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:11   #30
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhunt2000 View Post
Hi

I bought a new TV today with Freeview embedded in it, I am a little confused as when i plug this into the MK cable, I get Freeview!!!

Its a great picture, only BBC and Sky channels (plus Dave).

I can't find any details on what i should be able to get, I can't get ITV, CH4 or 5, should I be able to.

Whats going on? I don't have any extra boxes, I just plug the coax in th wall?
Have a look at this page. It tells you which Freeview channels are on which multiplex:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/mux/

If someone is experimenting with pushing Freeview DVB-T signals down the Milton Keynes Cable, then it's likely you will find you have all, or none, of the channels in any given multiplex. If you're receiving all BBC channels, plus Sky 3 and Dave, that suggests you may be receiving Muxes 1, B and C. However to prove this, check the list and let us know whether you are getting all the other TV and radio channels that are included in those Muxes.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote