Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | why are projectors so expensive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Copying copyright DVD's

Old 07-10-2004, 17:46   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Copying copyright DVD's

This is a question for a friend, ( and that is the truth ). He has a DVD that he wants to copy for his own use but it is apparently copyright protected.
Is there any simple way he can copy this or would he need to buy a program to allow him to do this.

I have already told him that I do not condone illegal copying.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2004, 17:46   #2
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Copying copyright DVD's

I wouldn't even go so far as to suggest dvdshrink....

http://www.dvdshrink.org/
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 17:56   #3
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
I wouldn't even go so far as to suggest dvdshrink....

http://www.dvdshrink.org/
I can - I use this to backup my DVDs.

I often take a DVD with me when I travel around the UK - and I take a copy rather than the original, so that it does not get damaged. (or if it does I don't care...)

DVDshrink is brilliant, it even allows you to take out the bits you do not need - like the subtitles and foreign language versions...
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 11:36   #4
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

i dont do this yet as perfect 1:1 copies cant always be done yet ..and yes im picky and hate reencodes
even dl dvds wont help yet as hollywood dvd 9's are 9.4 gig is it ? and normal dl dvds are just over 8 gig
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 11:43   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSAGES
i dont do this yet as perfect 1:1 copies cant always be done yet
Yes they can.

Quote:
..and yes im picky and hate reencodes
even dl dvds wont help yet as hollywood dvd 9's are 9.4 gig is it ? and normal dl dvds are just over 8 gig
The size of an original DVD varies with the film and or extras that are on it. I'd say that the average size of dvd's in my collection (original ones) is around 7gb

My dvd writer can record up to 8.4gb so I can do 'perfect copies' if I wanted to - not that I WOULD of course, unless it was copies of my home video dvd's, yeah that's right

I've never seen a dvd-10 (9.4gb) dvd yet, but even so - I bet most of that would be taken up with extras or commentaries

http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/Book_A/Specs.html has some info about dvd sizes...
Old 13-10-2004, 11:49   #6
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

im aware of how it works thats why i said in my first line that you quoted so well "you cant always"

while we all know u can strip subs/different audio/trailers/extras etc to make the movie fit thats not a 1:1 and films are not always 7 gig a lot of the older films are as extras on them are hard to find if any exsist i think i could backup 50% of my collection easily i could probably even do some of em on 4 gig dvds if needed to.
Old 13-10-2004, 11:51   #7
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
This is a question for a friend, ( and that is the truth ). He has a DVD that he wants to copy for his own use but it is apparently copyright protected.
Is there any simple way he can copy this or would he need to buy a program to allow him to do this.

I have already told him that I do not condone illegal copying.
I obviously couldn't recommend DVD X Copy, which works perfectly, as that would be naughty.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 11:52   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
im aware of how it works thats why i said in my first line that you quoted so well "you cant always"
Well excuse me for responding to your post

Quote:
while we all know u can strip subs/different audio/trailers/extras etc to make the movie fit thats not a 1:1 and films are not always 7 gig a lot of the older films are as extras on them are hard to find if any exsist i think i could backup 50% of my collection easily i could probably even do some of em on 4 gig dvds if needed to.
And I can backup my collection to dvd-9 discs which means I don't have to loose ANY quality without removing anything. So what
Old 13-10-2004, 11:53   #9
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

this is the ultimate resource guide to this kind of stuff including backing up DVDs...

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 11:56   #10
SOSAGES
Inactive

i wouldnt take it the wrong way im sorry if i hurt your feelings but i feel what you said was wrong respond all u like its why your a member of this and no doubt many fora

you can backup ur current collection 1:1 i cant im sure there are dvds out there that people own that are to big for this without some tweaking and u may one day buy a dvd that will be to large for your burner.
Old 13-10-2004, 11:57   #11
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

You could also check out http://www.doom9.org/index.html
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 11:59   #12
SOSAGES
Inactive

doom9 is a bible the guides are superb especially the ripping to xvid/divx + ac3
Old 13-10-2004, 12:02   #13
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
but i feel what you said was wrong
What you said was incorrect - just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Quote:
respond all u like its why your a member of this and no doubt many fora
No I'm not.

Quote:
you can backup ur current collection 1:1 i cant im sure there are dvds out there that people own that are to big for this without some tweaking and u may one day buy a dvd that will be to large for your burner.
I doubt it - but it may happen. With Blue Ray and HD-DVD round the corner there will be a new format out before this happens I should think.
Old 13-10-2004, 12:17   #14
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

You might have some problems with DVDShrink and some specially compyrighted DVDs. You should check out DVD Decrypter, which can strip all kinds of protections.

www.dvddecrypter.com
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 12:18   #15
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
You might have some problems with DVDShrink and some specially compyrighted DVDs. You should check out DVD Decrypter, which can strip all kinds of protections.

www.dvddecrypter.com
I use dvd decrypter when dvd shrink fails - It's not bad - not bad at all