Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Old 03-06-2011, 23:56   #31
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Masque works with residential so you can't blame him for lack of knowledge for business.

If I were a business customer though wishing to upgrade I'd be afraid, very afraid!
I agree which is why I was seeking clarification as it sounded as if he may have missed the fact this was about the business services and not residential.

I am a customer of VM Business on their 10 Mb/s service with 'fixed' IP address, and keen to upgrade to their 50 Mb/s service, which was originally due to be launched on 31st May, but has been delayed some 3 weeks.

Given that the way they will provide the true static IP addresses (and static IP subnets) will be via an L2TP tunnel on the router there will be no option to use Modem only mode.

Given the service has been absolutely rock solid stable for the past three years using a Scientific Atlanta modem connected my my own Cisco 881W router I am keen to find out as much as I can about how the new service will be provided before making a decision on upgrade.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2011, 23:57   #32
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I do find it shocking VM are going to use this for a business service.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:00   #33
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
if the supplier is diferent ie. not netgear then the firmware will also be different because of different chips.

not to mention that the current firmware is netgear branded.
The will be a different chipset but they are keeping the firmware and interface the same, obviously it will be written for the 2nd model but apart from that the will be very little difference and you will not have a distinction like we have with the 2 V+ Vboxes, as you will get the modem that is installed and not given a choice because they have been designed to work in the same way and with the same performance.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:02   #34
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

you basically mean same feature set and interface design.

but with a different chipset and different firmware supplier the actual performance could well be very different.

eg. the current superhub cant get above 500mbit on wired gigabit and has poor wireless performance, its entirely possible the other superhub will not have these issues.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:05   #35
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
you basically mean same feature set and interface design.

but with a different chipset and different firmware supplier the actual performance could well be very different.

eg. the current superhub cant get above 500mbit on wired gigabit and has poor wireless performance, its entirely possible the other superhub will not have these issues.
They have designed it to perform exactly the same or near as damn it to the present Superhub, the interface will be the same so as to ensure that everyone knows where everything is which saves on training.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:15   #36
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I agree which is why I was seeking clarification as it sounded as if he may have missed the fact this was about the business services and not residential.

I am a customer of VM Business on their 10 Mb/s service with 'fixed' IP address, and keen to upgrade to their 50 Mb/s service, which was originally due to be launched on 31st May, but has been delayed some 3 weeks.

Given that the way they will provide the true static IP addresses (and static IP subnets) will be via an L2TP tunnel on the router there will be no option to use Modem only mode.

Given the service has been absolutely rock solid stable for the past three years using a Scientific Atlanta modem connected my my own Cisco 881W router I am keen to find out as much as I can about how the new service will be provided before making a decision on upgrade.
What I find astounding is that VM have not released to their business customers exactly what equipment they are going to have to use for the "improved" service.

The delays in deployment would appear to mirror the delays in the residential S****hub firmware deployment.

That in itself would lead to speculation that it will be supplied via the same kit!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:29   #37
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

You've got it in one pip - hence my concern!
Old 04-06-2011, 00:45   #38
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You've got it in one pip - hence my concern!
I got it in one for you earlier!

Be afraid, be very afraid!
Old 04-06-2011, 00:45   #39
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The will be a different chipset but they are keeping the firmware and interface the same, obviously it will be written for the 2nd model but apart from that the will be very little difference and you will not have a distinction like we have with the 2 V+ Vboxes, as you will get the modem that is installed and not given a choice because they have been designed to work in the same way and with the same performance.
There's a huge difference between buggy firmware and well written firmware. Igni made this point in another thread.

I'd expect the spec to be the same.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:51   #40
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

There is nothing wrong with the internal spec. As you say, it's all down to the firmware.
Old 04-06-2011, 00:51   #41
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So is the Superhub to be used by Virgin Media Business the same as the current residential one?
I'm astonished at the way thie answer to this question seems to be avoided by the VM insiders.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:55   #42
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the internal spec. As you say, it's all down to the firmware.
the wireless isnt great, it would probably need redesigning inside but mostly firmware, not tested it myself but apparently modem only still gives more jitter so maybe there is hardware problems, either way if it was asda price it would be better than netgears shoddy attempt
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 00:57   #43
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
the wireless isnt great, it would probably need redesigning inside but mostly firmware, not tested it myself but apparently modem only still gives more jitter so maybe there is hardware problems, either way if it was asda price it would be better than netgears shoddy attempt
I was referring to the chipset, nothing more.
Old 04-06-2011, 00:57   #44
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm astonished at the way thie answer to this question seems to be avoided by the VM insiders.
I am giving them the benefit of the doubt since most here are on the residential side. However I did note that there was a very quick jump to defend the Superhub and to point out there will be no differences, yet the question wasn't about the alternative manufacturer of the residential Superhub, nor was this a criticism of the Superhub at all.

I must admit I am beginning to form the same conclusion that they are one and the same, since the VMB delays seem to map to the firmware delays we are seeing. Hopefully I am wrong!
Old 04-06-2011, 00:58   #45
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
I am giving them the benefit of the doubt since most here are on the residential side. However I did note that there was a very quick jump to defend the Superhub and to point out there will be no differences, yet the question wasn't about the alternative manufacturer of the residential Superhub, nor was this a criticism of the Superhub at all.

I must admit I am beginning to form the same conclusion that they are one and the same, since the VMB delays seem to map to the firmware delays we are seeing. Hopefully I am wrong!
A reasonable stance to take due to the lack of information forthcoming for business users.