Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 10-04-2010, 07:58   #46
daycartes
Inactive

daycartes can only hope to improve
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Just like to say that I bought this on impulse, however my version cost £79.99 not £40 (nevertheless 89.99 at homebase). I wasn't even convinced that it would work at all. Thought that it would be a good idea to set it up inside so pointed the satellite out of the bedroom window and looked for satellite but to no avail (I couldn't even see one with my binoculars and I have some really good binoculars), A quick visit to maplins was in order and I managed to pick up a satellite finder for around 20 quid. This worked really well especially as it has an audible output which allowed me to fine tune quite accurately. I must admit to a great deal of satisfaction when I first heard some intelligible sounds however there was no picture which was slightly frustrating then I realised that the set was on radio. Oh joy Oh joy, a picture then arrived when I selected TV. My wife asked me who this joy person was so that was a tricky moment. Having set it up indoors the next thing was to roughly note the direction and then to set it up outside. This went well and once erected meant that minimal time had to be spent on tuning it in. Overall am really pleased with it. I must admit though that the lack of Dave is a loss.Now I have an HD ready telly and I receive both BBC and ITV HD on this satellite but I cant see what all the fuss is about HD. Am I missing something here?
Hints for others who are having problems tuning in:
1 Buy a satellite finder and one which has an audible signal.
1 Set it up inside where you have satellite, receiver and telly all within arms reach.
2 Be patient and then be even patienter. if it doesn't work, stop and have a cup of tea or a smoke. The whole operation took me several hours.

I am so pleased with it.

Good luck
daycartes
daycartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2010, 23:46   #47
Dave421
Inactive

Dave421 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I bought a Ross Hd satellite receiver kit today from B&Q and have to say im very impressed for the cost. I paid £79.99 for the kit an £14.99 for a satellite finder, after installing it i updated the software on the receiver (see the Ross website). I then set up the dish using the finder an on the second go i found the right satellite (i don't think you could do this without a sat finder). It all worked perfect i have loads of channels & HD channels including most of the freeview ones (no Dave). I plugged in a potable usb hard drive (the ones without a power adapter) and im able to recored no problem. The picture quality is excellent in HD and even on the standard channels its very good (im viewing on a 43inch plasma HD tv) . So if you are thinking of buying one i would highly recommend it……….
Dave421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 13:20   #48
David666
Inactive

David666 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering whether anyone here could help my with a minor difficulty I'm having with a Ross system I got from from B & Q for a months ago. I'm receiving hundreds of channels from Eurobird 1 & Astra 2A/2B/2D with no problems but no amount of auto, blind or tp scanning will pick up the Food Network on Freq. 11344, Symbol Rate 27500, Pol. H. What's puzzling me is if I add a TP with the above settings a scan find several channels but none of those listed by Lyngsat for those settings.
David666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:01   #49
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Got them fine on my FTA sat receiver, can you possibly add a single channel using the correct VID..etc..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:06   #50
coolstrutter
Inactive

coolstrutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave421 View Post
Hi All

I bought a Ross Hd satellite receiver kit today from B&Q and have to say im very impressed for the cost. I paid £79.99 for the kit an £14.99 for a satellite finder, after installing it i updated the software on the receiver (see the Ross website). I then set up the dish using the finder an on the second go i found the right satellite (i don't think you could do this without a sat finder). It all worked perfect i have loads of channels & HD channels including most of the freeview ones (no Dave). I plugged in a potable usb hard drive (the ones without a power adapter) and im able to recored no problem. The picture quality is excellent in HD and even on the standard channels its very good (im viewing on a 43inch plasma HD tv) . So if you are thinking of buying one i would highly recommend it……….
After you had updated the software what benefit did you receive from this ? Also Dave which USB hard drive would you recommend for recording purposes as we have just installed the same system as yourself on Bank Holiday Monday just gone.
coolstrutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 18:50   #51
Frank M
Inactive

Frank M is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just bought a Ross freeat box - Spent the last few hours installing it and trying to tune it in. Getting 99% on the signal level meter but 0% on the quality. Tried adjusting dish ad LNB to lots of different positions but quality meter does not rise above 0! Any thoughts?
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 20:43   #52
leonielde
Inactive

leonielde is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby has been trying to install the ROSS HD sat system all day, we get an L reading of 99% but the Q reading doesn't even get any green lights .... first attempt proved to be a faulty box, but we have a new one now and have also tried a new LNB ... can anyone tell us what we can do to get this working? Thanks
leonielde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 21:31   #53
Frank M
Inactive

Frank M is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like you've got the same problem as me - 99%L 0%S -will be keen to hear from anyone who knows what we need to do to fix this
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48   #54
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Only thing I can think of is that you're pointing it towards the wrong sats, remember a few degrees out can make all the difference
Old 09-05-2010, 18:47   #55
coolstrutter
Inactive

We bought this handy little kit from Maplins...Take the guess work or trial and error process out of locating satellites. This finder kit makes sure that you connect to the satellite of your choice. Kit includes compass, signal meter, cable and battery box.

A compact meter to help align your satellite dish for best reception
Output from the satellite LNB is fed directly into the unit, via 1.8m of RF cable provided
Kit includes a compass to help in the initial positioning of the dish and a PVC storage case
Meter can be powered from the line power of the receiver via the downlead or from the supplied battery holder
Takes 10 x AA type batteries (sold separately)

It was EXTREMELY helpful and cost £19.99 also we had walkie talkies (luckily we have had them for a few years and knew they would come in handy one day) so while the Hubby was up the ladder i could tell him when the Q signal was going up the scale to a higher percentage.
Old 09-05-2010, 20:51   #56
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

£19.99 plus a king's ransom for the batteries. 10 AAs!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 23:22   #57
leonielde
Inactive

leonielde is an unknown quantity at this point

Got it working ... no matter how much you think you can line it up with an existing dish, if you don't get a Sat Finder you'll never do it ...
leonielde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:06   #58
hhipwood23
Inactive

hhipwood23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Can't get % quality reading on Ross Satellite

hi there, me and my partner have had the same problem this weekend. 99% level but 0% quality.. did you have any luck with it? thanks
hhipwood23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:06   #59
Kymmy
Inactive

Merged another thread about 0% quality into this thread

Leonielde, you'll probably find that you were on the sat either side, and as you had astra2 seelcted it won;t actually find any data streams so 0% on quality
Old 10-05-2010, 13:16   #60
coolstrutter
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
£19.99 plus a king's ransom for the batteries. 10 AAs!
I know what you mean but thankfully we didn't have to buy any of the AA batteries as we have plenty of them in the house.