Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 09-09-2014, 07:33   #2056
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Someone was saying earlier that the Scots can always come back in four or five years if it doesn't work.out err says who, the go they stay gone imo
That's part of the problem. Some swaying voters are think "Och well we can give it a go and if it goes wrong we will go back" not realising this is a one way street.

A yes vote might bring prosperity and social utopia to Scotland. It's far more likely to lead to:

The EU, not EU lite that the UK has with rebates, opt outs etc. but the full on EU experience with the Euro, Schengen, no rebate, no opt outs and the kind of voice at the table that Ireland has.

A demolition of the housing market with mortgage rates shooting up and with either a CU or Euro a foreign parliament will be overseeing our budget

Huge swathes of jobs being lost in finance, ship building and other industries.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2014, 10:47   #2057
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Yes I know its the Fail but....

It's actually quite good - regardless of your affiliatiion pro or anti

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...dependent.html
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:58   #2058
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Yes I know its the Fail but....

It's actually quite good - regardless of your affiliatiion pro or anti

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...dependent.html
Quote:
The pro-independence campaign is a toxic confection of mendacity, intimidation and anti-English racism.
Ain't that the truth.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:48   #2059
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

What's going to happen if it is a small majority for 'No'? How soon will the SNP demand a new referendum?
chris9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 13:38   #2060
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9991 View Post
What's going to happen if it is a small majority for 'No'? How soon will the SNP demand a new referendum?
Sturgeon has already said within 5 years...

In reality this has been a wake up call that the protest vote against labour in the last election was a terrible idea and hopefully they won't get an absolute majority ever again.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 15:09   #2061
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

So, it could go on until the 'Yes' win? Maybe people think if they vote 'Yes' this time they won't have to take part in a referendum again.
chris9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 17:18   #2062
RizzyKing

If no wins this is just going to drag on and on and given yes appears to have a boost the anti English rhetoric will continue. I'm really hoping its yes now because I don't believe a no win would be decisive enough to end this issue.
Old 09-09-2014, 17:34   #2063
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Isn't there talk of Salmond wanting another vote if this result is a narrow win for the No vote?
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 17:58   #2064
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Isn't there talk of Salmond wanting another vote if this result is a narrow win for the No vote?
There is an absolute guarantee of it, but he won't have the legal authority to do so and won't be able to argue that he should be given that authority again unless he wins an outright majority at the Holyrood election in 2016.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 19:38   #2065
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Interesting interview with Pat Cox, former EU president..

Blows some of the BT assertions about the EU out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9NcuGVtGfY
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 19:45   #2066
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Interesting interview with Pat Cox, former EU president.. Blows some of the BT assertions about the EU out of the water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9NcuGVtGfY
Interesting. And again the Ireland / Northern Ireland / UK relationship regarding borders (or lack thereof) as a precedent is mentioned.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 19:58   #2067
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

My first and only post on the subject as I've only followed this thread loosely, if I'm being selfish I'd vote No, but I would need to do a lot of research to make a proper decision.

What I have found is it seems those that have made up their minds right from the start tend to walk around with their fingers in their ears shouting LA LA. Everyone else is wrong apart from them.

Looking back from the first couple of pages, it is quite comical in the way things have changed, from 'it'll never happen blah blah blah' to 'Oh Poop, everyone's a numpty'.

If I was Scottish, I don't think this forum would make the slightest bit of difference in the info or the way I would vote.
Old 09-09-2014, 20:14   #2068
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
My first and only post on the subject as I've only followed this thread loosely, if I'm being selfish I'd vote No, but I would need to do a lot of research to make a proper decision.

What I have found is it seems those that have made up their minds right from the start tend to walk around with their fingers in their ears shouting LA LA. Everyone else is wrong apart from them.

Looking back from the first couple of pages, it is quite comical in the way things have changed, from 'it'll never happen blah blah blah' to 'Oh Poop, everyone's a numpty'.

If I was Scottish, I don't think this forum would make the slightest bit of difference in the info or the way I would vote.
Generally speaking most discussions on CF don't accurately reflect the general population... this one is certainly no different
Old 09-09-2014, 20:55   #2069
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I think I will move to Scotland if the folks vote Yes, just so that I can get away from the Tory Downton Abbey Syndrome that exists here in England!

Some papers have headlines like:
Will Another Royal Baby Save the Union... I think not.

Waiting for the English Republic to Return... long wait me thinks.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 21:12   #2070
LondonRoad
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
I think I will move to Scotland if the folks vote Yes, just so that I can get away from the Tory Downton Abbey Syndrome that exists here in England!

Some papers have headlines like:
Will Another Royal Baby Save the Union... I think not.

Waiting for the English Republic to Return... long wait me thinks.
I'm still leaning towards voting no. I must admit though, that I'm kind of enjoying the squirming that Cameron, Miliband and Clegg are now having to do having taken the outcome for granted for so long. They'll all be in Scotland tomorrow but canvassing separately. Wouldn't they be better together