Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 16-11-2016, 22:46   #1
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...-hotspots.html
Whatever happened to this ? Has it been quietly 'shelved'?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2016, 22:53   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Nope, but it'll be next year.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ring-2017.html
Old 16-11-2016, 22:59   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Mmm, thanks Ben, 'early 2017' - a vague VM date which means it could still be years.

If your hub is in modem mode is it capable of being used as a 'hotspot'?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 23:16   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No. As previously discussed when the trial was running earlier in the year, if you go into modem mode then you're opted out of the WiFi service.

You're not a hotspot, but you also can't use the service as a broadband customer.
Old 17-11-2016, 11:09   #5
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

That's a shame, there's no reason why it couldn't still operate as a hotspot when in modem mode. Hell, if anything, it'd have extra bandwidth to play with.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 21:49   #6
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Meanwhile it is now possible to upgrade to a 4G mobile phone account with Virgin Mobile, with free usage of WhatsApp.

Anything to do with the delays to Virgin WiFi domestic hot spots?

http://www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g...twork-summary/

Last edited by roughbeast; 17-11-2016 at 21:55.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 21:35   #7
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Meanwhile it is now possible to upgrade to a 4G mobile phone account with Virgin Mobile, with free usage of WhatsApp.

Anything to do with the delays to Virgin WiFi domestic hot spots?

http://www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g...twork-summary/
Is WhatsApp known for causing a lot of data usage? I might not be the heaviest user, but of the 2GB of data I've used since November 13th, WhatsApp accounts for 223Kb of it...
Old 18-11-2016, 21:45   #8
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Is WhatsApp known for causing a lot of data usage? I might not be the heaviest user, but of the 2GB of data I've used since November 13th, WhatsApp accounts for 223Kb of it...
Do they mean free as in, you get charged for standard texts on your mobile, but all WhatsApp messages are sent and received free of charge?

Saying that, I'm confused as well, as I would have thought that this is standard knowledge. Maybe it means for those WhatsApp users who make heavy use of photo & video messages (like my mum), and so use a lot of mobile bandwidth?
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 21:57   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbryanw View Post
Do they mean free as in, you get charged for standard texts on your mobile, but all WhatsApp messages are sent and received free of charge?

Saying that, I'm confused as well, as I would have thought that this is standard knowledge. Maybe it means for those WhatsApp users who make heavy use of photo & video messages (like my mum), and so use a lot of mobile bandwidth?
Use of WhatsApp will not be counted towards your mobile data usage.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 22:08   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

To be clear it's WhatsApp message usage that isn't counted. Video and audio calls via WhatsApp are. Same is true for Facebook Messenger.
Old 18-11-2016, 22:40   #11
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Some of my work colleagues use WhatsApp like there's no tomorrow; posting tittle tattle as regularly as breathing, with photos, videos and all. You sound like me; can't be arsed to add to the noise.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:02   #12
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Some of my work colleagues use WhatsApp like there's no tomorrow; posting tittle tattle as regularly as breathing, with photos, videos and all. You sound like me; can't be arsed to add to the noise.
Indeed, and from the sounds of it, it's not all that helpful anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
To be clear it's WhatsApp message usage that isn't counted. Video and audio calls via WhatsApp are. Same is true for Facebook Messenger.
Nice idea I guess, but if it's just text data then it's almost moot.
Old 20-11-2016, 20:44   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Photo, audio and video messages are also covered. It's live audio and video that is not.
Old 21-11-2016, 01:15   #14
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

So just like Windows 10 n Microrubbish VirginMedia wants every Tom, Dick, Harry n Mary to use our Wi-Fi Routers that WE pay for...Any way of Stopping it. If Not I'm Out after 20 years with them. Can the Firewall on HIGH stop people using it.
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 02:43   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
So just like Windows 10 n Microrubbish VirginMedia wants every Tom, Dick, Harry n Mary to use our Wi-Fi Routers that WE pay for...Any way of Stopping it. If Not I'm Out after 20 years with them. Can the Firewall on HIGH stop people using it.
You don't pay for your router as such as it remains the propery of VM. In case you hadn't noticed config files are having the config rate increased at no extra charge presumeably in preperation for hubs as an access point.

Yes you can opt out AFAIK. No doubt Ben will clarify at some time.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote