Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 20-01-2015, 13:49   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
The future for linear TV channels

There has been debate on these forums about whether streaming and on demand services will ever replace linear TV channels. One of the things that has often been said is that there will always be a need for live television programmes, the implication being that you cannot show live stuff on demand.

Well, this may change your minds!

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...ews-programme/

BBC debuts digital-first news programme

The BBC has revealed plans for a new daytime show broadcast simultaneously on BBC Two, the BBC News Channel and online and focusing on breaking news, exclusive interviews and audience interaction.

The show – to be hosted by award-winning journalist Victoria Derbyshire – will develop innovative and creative ways to engage with the audience on TV, online and via social media – bringing a greater variety of stories to BBC News, and becoming the first ‘digital-first’ TV news programme, with each video being designed for an online audience first.

It will be hosted from London, but will feature regular debates around the country and draw on reporting expertise from across BBC News. It is the first time a daily programme commissioned by the News Channel will run on network television.

James Harding, Director of BBC News and Current Affairs, said the programme would be the centrepiece of domestic daytime TV news. “In the year ahead, on the most important stories – the future shape of the UK, the health of the global economy – our audiences will rightly expect us to be at the very top of our game. With these new programmes, and their commitment to bringing new perspectives and powerful story-telling, we will be very well placed to meet this challenge.

The programme will launch on 7 April. For its first four weeks, it will focus on the General Election, featuring live debates and key interviews.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2015, 14:01   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Well it won't change my mind as linear TV is going nowhere.
Old 20-01-2015, 14:09   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes, Den, but if you can go to BBC1, ITV, Channel 4 etc, and pick from today's programmes, with live ones appearing when the performance begins (be it news, sport, or whatever), why would this not be better than having to put up with all those adverts, and apart from the live programmes, with the added advantage of not having to wait for a particular time for them to start?

What a time saving that would be!
Old 20-01-2015, 14:22   #4
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Same here and there will always be live events. I have to watch sport live when possible.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 14:26   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Same here and there will always be live events. I have to watch sport live when possible.
But you can watch it live on demand! That's what will happen with the new BBC programme.

If the linear channels no longer broadcast in that way but on demand, it would put you in control of what you watched, when. Why is that a bad thing?
Old 20-01-2015, 14:38   #6
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But you can watch it live on demand! That's what will happen with the new BBC programme.

If the linear channels no longer broadcast in that way but on demand, it would put you in control of what you watched, when. Why is that a bad thing?
But it wouldn't be on demand would it? It'd just be a live tv channel broadcasting on the Internet? Or am I totally misunderstanding this hahah
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 14:40   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
But it wouldn't be on demand would it? It'd just be a live tv channel broadcasting on the Internet? Or am I totally misunderstanding this hahah
No your correct , nothing groundbreaking there.

A show broadcast on two linear channels and online , Sky and VM already do this with their respective TV anywhere offerings.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 14:45   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
But if the linear channels were all replaced by VOD, this would be a step change in the way that people watched TV.

By the time this happens, the existing STBs will all be capable of linking with the internet, and this may well become the standard way of viewing.
Old 20-01-2015, 15:04   #9
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
But if the linear channels were all replaced by VOD, this would be a step change in the way that people watched TV.

By the time this happens, the existing STBs will all be capable of linking with the internet, and this may well become the standard way of viewing.
Do they need to be replace it though? Couldn't both just co exist? Bbc has iplayer, Netflix exists, 4 on demand etc? Bbc launched a new show purely on iplayer didn't they recently? But I think whilst that's good for some people they'll always prefer a live tv channel.

Both could and probably should co exist?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 15:04   #10
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

So essentially any live events have there own channels, possibly streaming, and are shown live. All other content is available on demand, and that's how everybody will consume their TV.

Think about what a massive change that is from what we have now, what would be required in terms of bandwidth for 60m people to consume content in this way when 4m Virgin customers can't even watch I player properly currently, and then honestly tell me you think this is going to happen any time soon.
Old 20-01-2015, 15:31   #11
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Call me cynical but I wonder if it's just a coincidence that the BBC charter is up for renewal soon.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 15:39   #12
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

How is this different? You can watch a number of live channels via TV anywhere anyway. They are just making a daft statement about how they have embraced the internet. I can't see the BBC or ITV letting us binge watch our favourite shows like Netflix do. Imagine how quickly Broadchurch 2 would be ruined for people who have Facebook/Twitter etc but could not see it all in one go. The ending of Broadchurch would be discussed straight away on the internet and at work the day after. They will just continue drip feed the episodes. Just how are ITV and C4 supposed to survive without advertising? Also how on earth are BBC etc going to film large chunks of their programmes in a small period of time just to stick them online, they have much more content to produce than Netflix. You must also remember there are millions and millions of young families who can not afford the luxury of VOD providers, or the content bundled in with the packages Sky, VM etc, who rely on linear TV. I am in my 30's and I do not see linear TV disappearing in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I watch very little live, I manage my recordings just so I can skip the adverts. I know plenty of people who still watch TV live though.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 16:05   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It will never happen, because it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

VOD is great for people who want that choice. It is an inconvenience for those that do not.

TV schedules are a simple, elegant solution to the problem of what to watch when you come home from work, slump in front of the TV and can't be bothered to make any choices beyond switching it on and seeing what's on the first page of the EPG. To those people, increas choice would be a problem, not a solution.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 17:03   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Won't happen, and, TBH, despite all the hype, it appears the BBC isn't actually doing anything with this programme they aren't already doing with others. They've certainly done news reports specifically for the website and various BBC news apps. They also have parts of programmes where they interact with the audience, although other channels do this.

Don't get me wrong, the BBC are innovative, and (IMO) beat the commercial broadcasters hands down when it comes to embracing new technologies.

That does not mean that VOD will ever totally replace linear channels, and I don't think it should. STBs may well all be capable of linking with the Internet, but how would people who don't wish to have an STB or do not have reliable broadband internet access watch TV? Do you think they should be deprived of TV because you are seeing a problem that isn't there?

Regarding adverts, before you think about how annoying you find them, remember that they *do* pay a lot of the costs of the programmes you watch. If you remove the adverts, the companies are going to need to get their money in some way.

I know that the likes of Netflix are predicting the end of Linear TV, but before you believe them, bear in mind it's in their interest to have people thinking that. If Linear TV ends, where are they going to go? Most likely Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 17:31   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

The BBC have already said they'll possibly make certain content available on iplayer before its aired on linear , Sky already does this with the first episode of most of its shows via Sky On Demand and Sky Go.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see more content made available via On Demand early , possibly even full series in one go that said this is more to appease the younger audience who prefer On Demand/Online viewing than to replace linear.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote