Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What game to get

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PSP - To Buy or not to buy?

Old 25-07-2009, 13:05   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Question PSP - To Buy or not to buy?

Hey guys, my mum has a Nintendo DS, so I have been thinking about getting a PSP. Just wondering what sort of adventure games, action games, driving games etc there are available? I know there is GTA available and Gran Turismo is coming out soon. So convince me, should I get one or not, and if so which version and can you take the PSP online?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2009, 13:08   #2
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Re: PSP - To Buy or not to buy?

I'd wait for the PSPGo personally, it's more powerful than the current models I think? And yeah, you can take it online. I know previous PSPs had a web browser on it.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 13:12   #3
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

When is the PSPGO due to be released. I hope its this side of 2009 hehe

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
When is the PSPGO due to be released. I hope its this side of 2009 hehe
http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/102...k/Product.html

02/10/2009 and the screen looks bigger as well
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 21:30   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

The PSP Go is not more powerful than the "normal" PSP 1000/2000/3000.

It has 16GB of internal storage instead of a UMD drive, has a smaller screen, has Bluetooth, uses Memory Stick Micro instead of Memory Stick Duo, and is smaller overall. Oh, & it's more expensive
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 21:43   #5
cimt

I thought it was more powerful? I'm sure they mentioned that during E3... I may be getting it confused with something else.
Old 26-07-2009, 01:04   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

It's not more powerful.
Old 26-07-2009, 01:26   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

So if it has no UMD drive the only way to get games will be via PSN, correct?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 01:43   #8
cimt

Yeah, that's true. That would annoy me like hell because my PSN is really slow. It takes me like 30mins to download something that would take like 1 minute on my laptop. And yes, I am using a wired connection. I couldn't imagine downloading full games off PSN...
Old 26-07-2009, 17:52   #9
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Yeah, that's true. That would annoy me like hell because my PSN is really slow. It takes me like 30mins to download something that would take like 1 minute on my laptop. And yes, I am using a wired connection. I couldn't imagine downloading full games off PSN...
I still dont get why some people are getting problems like that. I've never had a problem with PSN speeds at all except the odd time when a new game is just released and even then its still very good. Not sure what's causing your problem cimt but I'd look into it as there's no reason you should be getting constant poor speeds.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 23:34   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
So if it has no UMD drive the only way to get games will be via PSN, correct?
Yup. You can download directly to the PSP Go, or download to PS3 or PC & transfer.

The current UMD-based PSP 3000 isn't being discontinued, & will exist alongside the PSP Go.

Games released after the launch of the PSP Go will be released on UMD and the PSN Store, and the majority of older UMD games will be made available on the PSN Store.
Old 27-07-2009, 22:40   #11
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
I still dont get why some people are getting problems like that. I've never had a problem with PSN speeds at all except the odd time when a new game is just released and even then its still very good. Not sure what's causing your problem cimt but I'd look into it as there's no reason you should be getting constant poor speeds.
Same here. Never had a problem with it, and in fact, in the last month or so it actually seems to have got faster for me.

As for which PSP... unless you MUST put it in your pocket (which never seems a good idea to me), I'd say get the 3000. Bigger screen, and you can get one with a 16GB Memory Stick Duo for less than a PSPgo - everything else (bar the flashy clock and Bluetooth) is basically the same.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 22:42   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yup. Bigger screen, UMD drive for cheapo old games (can't get a digital download in the pre-owned section! ), and *cheaper* than the Go.
Old 27-07-2009, 23:45   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have an original with a 4GB stick I have serveal films on it.

You can use the web but you need a router and connect the two in he same way.

I would go for the 3000 series as you have the physical media rather than S/W which can get corrupt.

Plus the price will drop when the new one comes out.