Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 24-01-2017, 11:12   #91
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think it would have made things easier continuity wise as well. If you watch Enterprise then Star Trek (i.e. following the actual chronology), it actually looks like Starfleet's technology took a massive step backwards, because the special effects were so much better on Enterprise. I'm not even thinking of the exterior shots, the on set console displays were far better.

Discovery has a tough act to follow. They have a good consulting producer Nicholas Meyer (who directed The Wrath of Kahn and the Undiscovered Country and is one of two people credited with keeping the franchise alive after the relative failure of The Motion Picture). If he is still as good a writer as he was during those two films, and if he is directly involved, I think it will do well. It seems to have a good team behind it.

I think TNG was always going to be a difficult series to follow (although DS9 did a good job). Although it had some very bad episodes (the first half of season one and a lot of season 7 for instance), it had some of the best episodes I've seen in any TV series. I think one of the things I liked about TNG is that in some of the best stories, the actual setting was almost irrelevant, which meant that some of the best episodes almost weren't sci fi.
I think the plan with this though was to make the sets and tech match as close as possible to the original series so it fits in without looking really out of place. Some of Enterprise worked in that was as the ship resembeled a modern submarine internally in respect to corridors and doors.
Old 24-01-2017, 12:06   #92
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Interestingly if you read the some of the Enterprise books that have been released since the series ended, they've tried to explain the disparity in the technology (specifically those covering the Romulan War), and why Enterprise feels 'newer' than the Original Series.

I know it's a 'retcon' but it's no different than what Enterprise did for the Klingons, which I thought was a reasonable solution.
Old 24-01-2017, 23:10   #93
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Enterprise, and was sad at both the fact it was axed and the way it ended (I felt that the last scene in which Riker and Troi were watching the events on a Holodeck cheapened the series).

That said, I did enjoy the explanation of why the Klingons are how they are. Enterprise actually handled the differences quite well, but it always was going to be a problem, with Enterprise being made 40 years after Star Trek, but set a few years before.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:46   #94
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I thought the TNG link was a great addition and really helped tie the series in to the rest of the Trek universe, so that it did actually feel like part of it.

I know they did try to make the tech look basic but it didn't properly work due to modern tools and materials.
Old 25-01-2017, 20:46   #95
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
...I felt that the last scene in which Riker and Troi were watching the events on a Holodeck cheapened the series.

That said, I did enjoy the explanation of why the Klingons are how they are.
Enterprise wasnt great, I lost interest, and have apparently fogotten most of it, as I dont remember either of these items any more.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 21:04   #96
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

the thing which I loved about Enterprise was the number of 2 and 3 parters they did in order to make the most of the opportunity to explore and explain major story lines which have been established in Trek culture such as the Klingons, Section 37 and the initial relationship they had with the Vulcans. I thought it was genius and I hope they do the same in the new series.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 21:26   #97
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

That was excellent but unfortunately it was too late. It was one of the best aspects of the final season and it was a shame they didn't get chance to expand more on it.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 21:38   #98
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Any Star Trek can't wait... Voyger still the best ever in my personal opinion.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 21:59   #99
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Yes l thought that was a excellent series but my favourite personally was DS9.
Old 28-01-2017, 23:11   #100
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
completely agree. They weren't my favourite crew but it was my favourite series because it was something new with fresh and unexplored space & species as well as being modern with new technology in the series and the last technology and special effects for production of the series.

I watched a documentary on something a couple of weeks ago (I think it was something to do with the awards season) and one of the people speaking said we have got to the stage in technology where we can create anything we imagine. We don't want everything green screen but I think it is fantastic for us sci-fi fans that it has got to the point where all the worlds, species, ships and anything else writers and creators imagine can now be made real. I loved Voyager because they were able to create everything on a larger scale (e.g. the Borg universe) and make it real and believable. I am rewatching TNG atm and you can't help but notice how small scale everything was filmed and they had one set for the Borg cube with paintings for the background.

The perfect example and what epitomises everything I have just said is Rogue One. It was the absolute perfect balance in every regard and was able to create everything with spectacular effect (e.g. the devastation on Jedha)
Old 28-01-2017, 23:48   #101
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Each to their own I guess, I preferred TNG & DS9 (plus TOS of course).

Old 31-01-2017, 19:23   #102
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
delayed again, this is not looking good:
Coming to Netflix from what l have just heard.

https://www.facebook.com/NetflixUK/?...79182425497344

Last edited by denphone; 31-01-2017 at 19:26.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 23:43   #103
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Seems like production has at least started - Interesting bit at the end "Only on Netflix".

Old 01-02-2017, 00:49   #104
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

the Netflix thing was confirmed months ago.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:48   #105
General Maximus
Ran Away

http://www.startrek.com/article/disc...-logo-revealed

Quote:
Production on Star Trek: Discovery officially began last week in Toronto, Canada, CBS Television Studios announced today in a press release. Discovery will be the sixth live-action Star Trek series and is the first to start rolling since Enterprise commenced production on May 14, 2001.

The network also released a photograph of a camera slate/clapper board from one of the very first Discovery scenes to be filmed and unveiled an updated series logo featuring a new delta shield.

Star Trek Discovery Logo

Discovery will be available in countries all around the world
- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/disc....FrOP4hHY.dpuf