Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 27-11-2017, 14:50   #181
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
On Virgin, some of the on demand channels are on the EPG, so it may be that muppetman is viewing a streaming broadcast without realising it.

Does anyone know the definitive answer to that question? Is UHD on Sky either streamed or on demand, or alternatively is it broadcast the same way as Sky Sports channels?
Please don't insult my intelligence it's broadcast over satellite. Please remember Spider works for VM not Sky.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2017, 16:38   #182
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Sky broadcast sport, (mainly footy, F1, some test cricket) in 4K, the rest is streamed or downloaded.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 16:46   #183
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
Sky broadcast sport, (mainly footy, F1, some test cricket) in 4K, the rest is streamed or downloaded.
I've already said that however some seem to doubt what I'm saying.

How they expect those customers with standard Sky Broadband to be streaming UHD Football is frankly beyond me.
Old 27-11-2017, 16:48   #184
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Please don't insult my intelligence it's broadcast over satellite. Please remember Spider works for VM not Sky.
I see how you have taken that, sorry! I just meant that it is not always obvious how a programme is delivered when some platforms allow you to access on demand stuff through the EPG.

My question is, what channel no do they allocate to sport when it is broadcast in UHD? I presume it is either a part time or a pop up channel.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 16:50   #185
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I've already said that however some seem to doubt what I'm saying.

How they expect those customers with standard Sky Broadband to be streaming UHD Football is frankly beyond me.
l don't but alas some are not for turning despite evidence contrary to their beliefs.
Old 27-11-2017, 16:59   #186
jj20x

Quote:
On Virgin, some of the on demand channels are on the EPG, so it may be that muppetman is viewing a streaming broadcast without realising it.

Does anyone know the definitive answer to that question? Is UHD on Sky either streamed or on demand, or alternatively is it broadcast the same way as Sky Sports channels?
Some examples:

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...g=en&mux=11758

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...g=en&mux=12285

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...g=en&mux=12441

https://www.lyngsat.com/uhd/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

I don't think you can say "broadcast the same way" as the use HEVC, but they are certainly broadcast.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote:
I see how you have taken that, sorry! I just meant that it is not always obvious how a programme is delivered when some platforms allow you to access on demand stuff through the EPG.

My question is, what channel no do they allocate to sport when it is broadcast in UHD? I presume it is either a part time or a pop up channel.
The following is a listing of services on Sky by channel number:

https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK_chno.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see that (just before the radio section) there are several channels operating off the EPG, usually for on-demand content.

Last edited by jj20x; 27-11-2017 at 17:15.
Old 27-11-2017, 17:15   #187
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Some examples:

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...g=en&mux=11758

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...g=en&mux=12285

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...g=en&mux=12441

https://www.lyngsat.com/uhd/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

I don't think you can say "broadcast the same way" as the use HEVC, but they are certainly broadcast.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

The following is a listing of services on Sky by channel number:

https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK_chno.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see that there are several channels operating off the EPG, usually for on-demand content.
Thank you! So when there is a Sky Sports UHD broadcast, do you access it from the EPG (given that there is no allocated number) or from the on demand section of the menu?
Old 27-11-2017, 17:19   #188
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I've already told you Sky Q has a menu option Sports once you enter that there is another Ultra HD which lists what's on this week you can enter that way or by using the UHD prompt on the HD channel.

Do you not believe me the first time I say things.
Old 27-11-2017, 17:26   #189
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I've already told you Sky Q has a menu option Sports once you enter that there is another Ultra HD which lists what's on this week you can enter that way or by using the UHD prompt on the HD channel.

Do you not believe me the first time I say things.
Sorry, old chap, I missed it because DVD Cinema's post came in ahead of yours (although your post was timed a minute before) and I didn't notice that you had already responded when I replied to him.

That clarifies it, thank you.
Old 27-11-2017, 18:46   #190
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

I wonder whether the BBC will start showing some 4K content pretty soon now on iPlayer, now that the 4K broadcast standards have been finalised.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 19:02   #191
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I wonder whether the BBC will start showing some 4K content pretty soon now on iPlayer, now that the 4K broadcast standards have been finalised.
I would certainly have thought so, particularly with the World Cup being screened in UHD in 2018.

However, they are being tight lipped about this, so we can only assume at the present time. As you know, they have already trialled UHD on the BBC i-Player. I saw that, and it was excellent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/planet_earth_4k

Last edited by OLD BOY; 27-11-2017 at 19:30.
Old 27-11-2017, 19:25   #192
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I've seen somewhere that BBCs next big documentary will be in 4k, no idea what the documentary is though.
Apparantly Blue Planet was filmed 4k ready so maybe that will appear in 4k on iplayer at some point.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 19:47   #193
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Just to confirm a couple of UHD issues raised above:

On Sky - most UHD content is downloaded to the box for viewing - live sport events are broadcast live over satellite and are easily accessed using the red button on the HD version of that channel. You can also access live UHD via the main SkyQ menus. They can also be recorded from the menus but the events do not appear in the EPG on a separate UHD channel.

On BT - all live UHD content is streamed to the box - which is why many BT customers do NOT have access to UHD content. BT will not support their UHD channel on broadband lines running at a little less than 60mbps. Which is an awful lot of customers.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 20:02   #194
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does this mean that Sky will have to raise their UHD content to the new standard?
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 20:14   #195
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
Does this mean that Sky will have to raise their UHD content to the new standard?
Sky has already trialled HDR broadcasts many times they just haven't delivered it to customers so far. BT also don't deliver it's UHD broadcasts with HDR.

Broadcast HDR is far far more complex to deliver as opposed to its inclusion via On Demand. It's coming but when is the million dollar question.

Last edited by muppetman11; 27-11-2017 at 20:27.