Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can T-mobile or Orange network phone use virgin sim card?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can T-mobile or Orange network phone use virgin sim card?

Old 16-06-2012, 03:33   #1
wazza2004
Inactive

wazza2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can T-mobile or Orange network phone use virgin sim card?

Currently am on virgin sim only monthly contract with a basic phone. Tempted to get myself a smartphone.

One option i have is to buy a phone outright and not be tied in a 24 month contract.

Was browsing through carphonewarehouse website under payg phones and noticed some phones were cheaper on T-mobile or orange network when compared to virgin.

1. Are carphonewarehouse supplied phones linked to the network or are they unlocked?

2. Will the virgin sim work in an orange or t-mobile phone? Normally i would say no to this but i am aware that the virgin network will use orange (and t-mobile?) network when it's signal is weak.
wazza2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2012, 03:44   #2
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: Can T-mobile or Orange network phone use virgin sim card?

1) Virgin lease their airtime from T-Mobile. Orange and T-Mobile share their masts as far as I know.

2) The last phone that I bought from Carphone Warehouse was unlocked. I did however have to choose a network and buy credit for the PAYG sim.
Hope that helps

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...t.howdoi.sm660
Old 16-06-2012, 07:26   #3
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Why not look at a supermarket unlocked phone?
Tried a Tesco Bluechip Neon @55pounds.
No point in spending silly money for a try out.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 12:03   #4
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza2004 View Post
Currently am on virgin sim only monthly contract with a basic phone. Tempted to get myself a smartphone.

One option i have is to buy a phone outright and not be tied in a 24 month contract.

Was browsing through carphonewarehouse website under payg phones and noticed some phones were cheaper on T-mobile or orange network when compared to virgin.

1. Are carphonewarehouse supplied phones linked to the network or are they unlocked?

2. Will the virgin sim work in an orange or t-mobile phone? Normally i would say no to this but i am aware that the virgin network will use orange (and t-mobile?) network when it's signal is weak.
I once had a sony erricson w200i and was locked to T-Mobile,Virgin sim card worked fine. However Virgin mobile phones will not take either of T-Mobile or Orange.

Same with Vodafone and BT Mobile and Asda Mobile.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 23:56   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

I remember it always used to be that a VM Sim would work in a T-Mobile locked phone - I doubt that the network sharing extends that to Orange, as an Orange Phone sharing is still Orange locked, and the VM sim is still based on the T-Mobile network.

And Carphonewarehouse phones might be unlocked, to simplify stock keeping. Network excusives, though, are likely to be locked, and at one time, I think it was said that Orange insisted on locked, or maybe that was 3.

My last was my SE C902, as a VM PAYG upgrade - if I had a non-VM sim handy, I'd try it... it's certainly unbranded. On my old phone, it may have been the branding tweaks that were screwing up some Java apps - never could get Google maps to run on my Sagem MY411C.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 00:00   #6
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
I remember it always used to be that a VM Sim would work in a T-Mobile locked phone - I doubt that the network sharing extends that to Orange, as an Orange Phone sharing is still Orange locked, and the VM sim is still based on the T-Mobile network.

And Carphonewarehouse phones might be unlocked, to simplify stock keeping. Network excusives, though, are likely to be locked, and at one time, I think it was said that Orange insisted on locked, or maybe that was 3.

My last was my SE C902, as a VM PAYG upgrade - if I had a non-VM sim handy, I'd try it... it's certainly unbranded. On my old phone, it may have been the branding tweaks that were screwing up some Java apps - never could get Google maps to run on my Sagem MY411C.
From what I remember, Virgin SIM cards work in T-Mobile locked handsets, however they do not with Orange locked handsets. This is because Orange is a roaming network; for example if you were in Spain, although you're on Orange, you can select Movistar as a network.
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 14:34   #7
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza2004 View Post

I'm assured that all the phones they sell at my local carphone warehouse are unlocked.
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 22:39   #8
wazza2004
Inactive

wazza2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies
wazza2004 is offline   Reply With Quote