Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contractors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Contractors

Old 25-02-2011, 20:25   #31
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold
Re: Contractors

I took home around £24,000 last year and its around £20,000 this year (Was off for a long time with sickness). My day starts around 7:30/8am, average finish about 4:30pm. Ive nothing to hide so if you want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Ive not worked for McNicholas but I will be as of April so I will know more then as we get moved across.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2011, 14:03   #32
Matt_S
Inactive

Matt_S is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, JayJay.

PM sent!
Matt_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 17:17   #33
Brett_p
Inactive

Brett_p is an unknown quantity at this point

hi. i went for the kellys interview on thursday (3rd) and he told me that i will be paye. i will also get a diesel card, mobile phone and van, 28 days holiday and my salary will be £24,000pa. on average i will have to do 4 installs a day, 5 days a week. sounds gravy to me . any 1 know what to expect from the weeks training i have to do? i know im gona have to learn to climb a telegraph pole judging by the 2 poles they had stuck in the middle of there depot lol. im also leaving a job i have been at for 6 years. to be honest i had enough of being self employed. plus i hate paying for fuel which is a killer when i had to travel alot. i been working for a company called bailey teswaine in the city (london) and to be honest, i hate london

Cheers
Brett_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 17:32   #34
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Brett, if you think that Kellys will pay you 24k for 4 installs a day over 5 days you can safely assume that on average you will only be able to complete 2 in a day.
Then as you cannot complete 4 there will be penalties to pay.

Kellys will never pay out that kind of money without working you to the ground. I would love to see what these BT installs are all about.
I am assuming they will be working on the infinity rollout which is fibre to the cab. So my guess is that it will be long cable pulls and tons on travel.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 17:39   #35
Brett_p
Inactive

but they said i will get a deisel card? they also said i will be working around my sorrounding areas. and it is doing property installs. really am having seconds thoughts. they did say i would be working on behalf of BT and virgin.
Old 05-03-2011, 18:05   #36
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Sorry, i just clarified.
They are indeed doing residential installs. But i still do not see how they will pay that money for 4 installs a day. It will probably be full installs involving new cabling to property via poles and cabs. They can take a while to complete.
Do your own research on them before taking the plunge.
Old 05-03-2011, 18:51   #37
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

Didnt Kellys pull out of the virgin contract and ran over to the BT contract? I very much doubt you will be touching Virgin fella. Kelly's kinda **** on Virgin from what I can make out.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 19:03   #38
Brett_p
Inactive

judging by these posts i wont b doing anything lol. he said in the interview i will be working on behalf of virgin and bt. i really dont no wot to do. i aint heard anything good about kellys on this site lol
Old 11-03-2011, 12:28   #39
S@Notts
Inactive

S@Notts is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, ive just seen a field tech job in nottingham that i may apply for, i have a cabling back ground for the civil service(9 years) so how much better is it to work for VM than contractors, if any ?

any advice would be welcome

thx
S@Notts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 16:33   #40
Jonnymeg
Inactive

If you can get a job with VM then great! Go for it.

However be wary of the contractors, its not so good.
At the moment it is clear that there is a big shake up going on regarding who has these install contracts so it may be wise to wait a few months if going down this road.
Old 12-03-2011, 20:43   #41
beller
Inactive

Services: 30mb, M tv, XL phone
beller is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sorry but 24K for 4 jobs per day over 5 days, it just aint gonna happen dude.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

on the vm contract 24K is about 9 jobs per day over 5/6/7 days
beller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 14:28   #42
S@Notts
Inactive

S@Notts is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
If you can get a job with VM then great! Go for it.

However be wary of the contractors, its not so good.
At the moment it is clear that there is a big shake up going on regarding who has these install contracts so it may be wise to wait a few months if going down this road.
thx for the reply, seems a bit odd that VM are looking for field techs when contractors do all the installs, unless this shake up means VM will do more instals i guess
S@Notts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 15:14   #43
Jonnymeg
Inactive

VM need field techs to do service work mainly although they do installations occasionally too.
Old 13-03-2011, 19:30   #44
dicko
Inactive

Services: v+/v/20mb/tel
dicko is an unknown quantity at this point

which contractor got west yorkshire and when?
dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 23:55   #45
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicko View Post
which contractor got west yorkshire and when?
Hasnt been announced yet

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote