Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I love TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I love TiVo

Old 08-03-2012, 19:06   #46
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: I love TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
And due to the serious lack of HD and quality channels available to you DF you can record hundreds of hours of repeated drivel......., light's blue touch paper and stands well back.....
No thats not true.
Old 08-03-2012, 21:00   #47
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It's got some nice features (e.g. wish lists), but has several flaws, which don't seem to be getting fixed e.g. poor SD picture quality, lip sync issues, poor quality iplayer app that cuts programmes off before the end.

Get the impression that VM just see these as a 'features' of the product and have given up looking for fixes. We'll no doubt have to upgrade to a 'Tivo Plus' box at some point if we want these fixed. They never ironed out the issues with V+, which is why many felt obliged to 'upgrade' to TiVo, which, it turns out, has even more bugs.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 21:07   #48
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Poor sd picture quality isn't my experience. The only lip sync issues I'm aware of were on ITV 1 hd, which was a known fault across platforms and for ITV to resolve. I player is the BBC's problem.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 21:17   #49
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Poor sd picture quality isn't my experience. The only lip sync issues I'm aware of were on ITV 1 hd, which was a known fault across platforms and for ITV to resolve. I player is the BBC's problem.
Always somebody else's problem to solve ??? VM charge us for the sub-standard service , VM's issue to solve.

SD picture quality is poor, many people have reported it, having TiVo for so long can make you accustomed to an inferior picture. My VHD and freeview boxes have far superior PQ on SD channels. The catch up for BBC on VHD is infinitley better than the Iplayer app on TiVo - the quality of which at times is worse than a PC.
Old 08-03-2012, 21:52   #50
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I have v + hd and a Tivo. Both are outputting to different TV's, both of which are the same make and model. There is no difference. That isn't about getting used to it on Tivo, there is simply no difference in my experience. 42"TV's FWIW.

I'm minded to broadly agree with you about I player, but would imagine Virgin can do little more than pressure the BBC, who, after all, are the ones that wrote it. Lip sync on ITV hd, however, is just a case of looking for a stick to beat Virgin with-this issue was widely reported across stb's and platforms. Where is your post blaming Sky for not sorting out the ITV lip sync problem, because they had it too?! ITV's fault, pure and simple.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Ps, there are plenty of issues that are for Virgin to sort out with Tivo, just none of the ones you mentioned!
Old 08-03-2012, 22:00   #51
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Agreed on that reading itshim comments that may well be a good thing.
Haha

Strange world where some people are less interested in what VM do than what its hardware does!
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28   #52
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's got some nice features (e.g. wish lists), but has several flaws, which don't seem to be getting fixed e.g. poor SD picture quality, lip sync issues, poor quality iplayer app that cuts programmes off before the end.

Get the impression that VM just see these as a 'features' of the product and have given up looking for fixes. We'll no doubt have to upgrade to a 'Tivo Plus' box at some point if we want these fixed. They never ironed out the issues with V+, which is why many felt obliged to 'upgrade' to TiVo, which, it turns out, has even more bugs.
Be nice if you praised Virgin once in a while insteading of constantly criticising them.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03   #53
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I have to agree - at least in part. TiVo has poor SD picture quality. I'm sure it would have a lot more friends if this could be improved.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30   #54
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

On the plus side.
1) I am very happy with the way customer services deal with problems ( its NOT there fault the services are weak)
2) I am also happy the TV channels on offer ( I really do not care if there are more HD) & can not see any I would wish for.
However a good TV guide from what ever source & a V+ fill my requirements.
The TiVo box as YET does not deliver the basics of most other PVRs on the market & that's were it falls down. yes it has extras ( a good TV guide or a quick google fill a lot of them) but until it( & they keep saying its going to happen) is up to speed on the Red button & yes reminders it lacks the edge. As I said before have network issues every week.So much so that I report them every time,they seem to go in 4-6 hours but still!!!
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11   #55
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Be nice if you praised Virgin once in a while insteading of constantly criticising them.
Why would it be nice ? Why not just say how it is. My first (half !) sentence was a positive, however things are usually never totally perfect or totally crap.

It has to be said however that TiVo has a lot of glitches. It comes up short when compared to its predecessor (V+). Although it has extra (some v. nice) features it is not as good as V+ in several ways (speed, PQ, red button, lock ups, catch up etc). For an 'upgrade' that's disappointing.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22   #56
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

It has to be said however that TiVo has a lot of glitches. It comes up short when compared to its predecessor (V+). Although it has extra (some v. nice) features it is not as good as V+ in several ways (speed, PQ, red button, lock ups, catch up etc). For an 'upgrade' that's disappointing.[/QUOTE]

So true
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30   #57
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I have to agree - at least in part. TiVo has poor SD picture quality. I'm sure it would have a lot more friends if this could be improved.
Well it's got over 400k 'friends' at the moment. That's the number of Tivos installed as of the last report from VM; and that figure doubled in three months. So I don't think a "bad SD picture" is really much of a problem at all or we'd've heard more about it. (And I mean in a general sense rather than the self-selecting, negativity-biased forums such as this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
The TiVo box as YET does not deliver the basics of most other PVRs on the market...
What complete (and demonstrable) nonsense. Exactly what "basics" does it not do? Recording TV shows is the most basic requirement and it does that fine.

You may want red button and reminders, but I don't and, as such, they are not - by definition - 'basic requirements'.

Quote:
As I said before have network issues every week.
Network issues don't affect the basic functions of the Tivo. And, if you're on about VM's broadband in general, then some of us don't have any issues at all. (Though I'm sorry that you do, of course!)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:57   #58
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Well it's got over 400k 'friends' at the moment. That's the number of Tivos installed as of the last report from VM; and that figure doubled in three months. So I don't think a "bad SD picture" is really much of a problem at all or we'd've heard more about it. (And I mean in a general sense rather than the self-selecting, negativity-biased forums such as this.

What complete (and demonstrable) nonsense. Exactly what "basics" does it not do? Recording TV shows is the most basic requirement and it does that fine.

You may want red button and reminders, but I don't and, as such, they are not - by definition - 'basic requirements'.

Network issues don't affect the basic functions of the Tivo. And, if you're on about VM's broadband in general, then some of us don't have any issues at all. (Though I'm sorry that you do, of course!)
Not going to run through the whole set of arguments again as they are "coming soon" but Carl i believe you do not watch live sport as some of us do on here,i personally do not want to stump up £22.50 a month for sky sports to "record" live sport,as such reminders to me maybe not you are a basic function,the Sky HD box does it i believe the "market leader " box should do too and as i give VM a big wedge every month who is to say i am wrong.?

The mistake you seem to be making is because you do not want Red Button or reminders you seem to imply nobody else should either sorry if i am wrong but that is the way it comes across,anyway a bit academic now as VM have announced they are coming to TiVo Sky Sports Red button already here for us.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26   #59
andy_m
cf.mega poster

I don't see how a feature most useful for those with the premium sports channels could be considered basic, but either way, far from being a stick with which to beat Virgin, reminders is a good an example of a company being prepared to listen to it's customers as you'll ever see.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37   #60
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I don't see how a feature most useful for those with the premium sports channels could be considered basic, but either way, far from being a stick with which to beat Virgin, reminders is a good an example of a company being prepared to listen to it's customers as you'll ever see.
Yes i do agree VM get full marks for listening to customers in my book.

Mind you i do use them on lots of other programmes too such as auto reminder for newsnight.