Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I love TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

I love TiVo

Old 22-03-2012, 19:51   #136
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Re: I love TiVo

Just trying to think which apps would be useful.

Also VMs TV listing needs improving on there website. Skys is so much better.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2012, 20:19   #137
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
One problem would be how big would the box have to be? Due to the number of tuners
Not that big at all.
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/wp/3128-WP100.pdf
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 20:23   #138
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Dont forget it will also need at least 25TB for every days recordings

Actually prolly more like 50TB...
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 23:34   #139
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Funnily enough, there's a Freeview box that does this - records every channel for seven days. You might have heard of it already - the Promise TV:
Quote:
It's a compact recorder for your home that automatically records everything, all the time. Every programme on over 60 TV and radio channels are recorded together. They are stored in a circular format, so that new programmes automatically replace the oldest, with enough space to store seven days. That's about 10,000 programmes – plenty to choose from!
http://www.promise.tv/what-is-it.html

And a snip at £4150!
Quote:
But how does it all work? Napkin maths time: With 60 channels, you need at least 30 tuners. Your average PVR set top box costs about £100. 30 of them would be roughly £3000, but far less at trade cost and, of course, you only need the tuners, not all the electronics that goes with them. Of Freeview’s 60 channels (give or take), only half of them broadcast 24 hours, so let’s call it 45 24-hour streams.

To capture them all, Promise must stash away 1080 hours recording per day. If we factor 2GB for an hour of lossless SD (that’s what Sky+ records SD in, anyway) you’d need (very) roughly 2TB per day. So for a week? 14TB of hard drive space.
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2012/02...el-for-a-week/
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 23:41   #140
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Can't seem to order online! Long drive to Ascot TUT...
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 08:35   #141
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
Man that Carl geezer is a miserable

As my lawyer tells me to say all the time NO COMMENT
Old 23-03-2012, 09:26   #142
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Got to agree with Carl here , certain apps on TV add to the user experience YT , Iplayer are examples however I see no point in apps that detract away from the boxes main feature watching TV. I'm not a big fan of social media however I know some are but can someone tell me what the point of a Twitter app on TV is when it takes over the whole real estate of the screen , checking your account can be done online , a mobile app may be a better idea.
How about a Zeebox app that overlays the channel your watching? If that or something simular doesn't happen then that's an opportunity lost.
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:02   #143
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

A lot of programmes have a twitter debate taking place alongside them now, so a twitter app on Tivo which could be used and still allow the programme to be watched would be good. There is just one small issue that I can see-it necessarily means watching the programme live.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:04   #144
clinteastman
Inactive

clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
A lot of programmes have a twitter debate taking place alongside them now, so a twitter app on Tivo which could be used and still allow the programme to be watched would be good. There is just one small issue that I can see-it necessarily means watching the programme live.
That's basically what Zeebox is, just a few more bells and whistles.
Old 23-03-2012, 10:23   #145
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Personally I prefer to watch a programme rather than get distracted by Twitter, etc.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:25   #146
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Personally I prefer to watch a programme rather than get distracted by Twitter, etc.
Well each to their own carl.
Old 23-03-2012, 10:31   #147
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I like the idea but seem to get totally distracted by the tweets and miss the program! So I'm with you on this one.
Old 23-03-2012, 19:33   #148
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
The 10 new apps that someone mentioned sound promising. 2 of thence launched today. 2 of them film related.

One could be myvirginmedia app
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 19:43   #149
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
The 10 new apps that someone mentioned sound promising. 2 of thence launched today. 2 of them film related.

One could be myvirginmedia app
Let the speculation begin.
Old 23-03-2012, 19:50   #150
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Like we could ever stop it
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote