Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | telephone extension

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Old BT wiring

Old 22-01-2012, 13:30   #1
Wyndsway
Inactive

Wyndsway is an unknown quantity at this point
Old BT wiring

Hi; just joined the forum as I need some help please! I have an old BT line with six coloured wires. They were installed as follows:
#5 - Orange + White with blue rings
#3 - Brown + White with Brown rings
#2 - Lt Blue + Dk blue with grey rings.
The direct socket into the BT line from the master socket works but the extensions to the rest of the have failed. I bought a new master socket (Phonapart LJ2504/BP) which refers to just three wires and not even the colours I have.
Any help much appreciated please!
Wyndsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2012, 14:05   #2
yesman

Re: Old BT wiring

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

2,3, and 5 are the main wires from my experience as shown in the link above.
Old 22-01-2012, 16:56   #3
Wyndsway
Inactive

Thanks but I loked at this website and it does not seem to help me. The instructions that came with the new socket said:
#5 White wire/blue rings
#3 Orange wire/white rings
#2 Blue wire/white rings
Trouble is I don't have these wires! Just the colours I listed in the original posting. Any further thoughts?

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Thanks but I looked at this website and it does not seem to help me. The instructions that came with the new socket said:
#5 White wire/blue rings
#3 Orange wire/white rings
#2 Blue wire/white rings
Trouble is I don't have these wires! Just the colours I listed in the original posting. Any further thoughts?
Old 22-01-2012, 18:17   #4
subbie
Inactive

subbie is an unknown quantity at this point

just pick 3 colours put 1 colour in #2, 1 colour in #3, and the last in #5 in the master ext face plate, then at the ext put the same colours in the same numbers. job done
subbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 21:10   #5
Wyndsway
Inactive

Thanks Subbie, but it seems to be more complicated than that! This is an old house and in the last 60 years several changes must have been made to the wiring. There are two extensions, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom but the colours are not the same as the cables that leave the master socket, so there must be a join somewhere on route....
What I still don't understand is why they all worked for a few days when I put in the new master socket and when I copied the way the old wiring had been done. I could be here for some time.