Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New install - wiring questions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Connecting V box to aerial point

Old 11-04-2011, 15:33   #1
saintontour
Inactive

saintontour is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting V box to aerial point

Can you connect the Virgin (little white box at the front of the room) to a 'normal' aerial point, which is then connected to another aerial point at the back of the room, to then connect to the V+ box?
This used to be the arrangement when we had Telewest cable TV, but when we had Virgin installed, we were told that the cable has to run direct from the (little white box at the front of the room) to the V+ box. It's really unsightly, and I don't like the alternative of having a cable running under the carpet either.
saintontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2011, 15:55   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Connecting V box to aerial point

As far as I'm aware you can't use normal aerial points. Mainly because it may pick up interference from terrestrial TV which will cause problems with your service
Old 12-04-2011, 10:38   #3
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

If that aerial cable is only point to point and not connected to an external device like an aerial then there's no reason why it wont work. the only thing to point out is that if you develop a fault then a service tech may not be able to assist as it will be his/her discretion to fault find on non-VM cable.

If it works then go for it! I would try it at least and let us know how it goes.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

It might work but you should get issues with signal loss and snr. That cable is not up to standard and the connectors are poor.

I don't fault find on a customers own lead, £35 charge also
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:10   #5
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

But theres also the chance that its a high quality RG6 double/tripel shield and will be fine... unlikely I know... but its a "try at your own risk" kinda scenario.

Old 12-04-2011, 22:22   #6
saintontour
Inactive

saintontour is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. It is a point to point arrangement. I had a go and it seems to work perfectly - no loss of picture or sound quality, all V+ features intact (delay TV, Catch Up and On Demand all fine).
saintontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:42   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintontour View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It is a point to point arrangement. I had a go and it seems to work perfectly - no loss of picture or sound quality, all V+ features intact (delay TV, Catch Up and On Demand all fine).
Zing! Thought it might be, glad its worked out for you!

Another satisfied customer.