Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pensions - no wonder there are strikes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Pensions - no wonder there are strikes

Old 06-03-2012, 20:53   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Pensions - no wonder there are strikes

I am not surprised that the people of this country are striking over pensions.

I was told today, that starting from next month my pension will be going up by £60 / £70 per month.

This will now cause me financial hardship big time, What l think this government is doing by increasing the retirement age even higher, is that many people may not live past the retirement age, therefore saving them money.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2012, 20:54   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Pensions - no wonder there are strikes

Do you mean the cost of your pension, Arthur?

If so, how do you think your extended life-span is going to be paid for - from the magic money tree?

btw, I know you and facts don't get on, but retirement age if you are under 55 will be 67, and average male life span is 78, so your premise is flawed.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 21:19   #3
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I am not surprised that the people of this country are striking over pensions.

I was told today, that starting from next month my pension will be going up by £60 / £70 per month.

This will now cause me financial hardship big time
That's about £15 - £17 extra a week.
I know a few old people who would be celebrating if their pension was going up that much?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 21:24   #4
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

When l was told by my union rep, l nearly had a heart attack, I cannot afford to pay that per week.

All my bills have gone up, but not my wages, work that one out.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 21:31   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

All my bills have gone up, but not my wages, work that one out.
EVERYONE is in the same boat or do you feel you should be different to EVERYONE else

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 22:06   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
EVERYONE is in the same boat or do you feel you should be different to EVERYONE else
With all due respect I don't think that is what he is claiming.I think he is justly peeved that he has to find the extra cash and that it is going to place a strain on his present finances..Not that he should be a special case.I think your comment was a trifle uncalled for.
Old 06-03-2012, 22:23   #7
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Firefighters pension contributions will be going up to 13.3% from the 1st April, because they are already paying 11%.

There is a very good reason why firefighters can't be operational until they are 68 (you can't climb a ladder with a zimmer frame). And under employment law, if they are no longer fit enough to do what is a very physically demanding job, then they can be sacked.

I'm not going to get into an argument about this. But it's just a couple of things that people should be aware of.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 22:32   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You forgot to mention that the employers contribute 21.3%....

And according to this consultation document, a firefighter would need to be on £120,000 to pay an additional 2.3%.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...df/1985324.pdf page 13

btw, I thought Hutton had recommended 60 as a retirement age for firefighters - where did 68 come from?
Old 06-03-2012, 22:42   #9
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You forgot to mention that the employers contribute 21.3%....

And according to this consultation document, a firefighter would need to be on £120,000 to pay an additional 2.3%.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...df/1985324.pdf page 13
The firefighters pension actually has the lowest employers contribution of all public sector workers.

I wouldn't pay any attention to that consultation document if I were you. We have been told what we will be paying as from the first of april. And none of are on £120,000, I can assure you of that.

By 2015 we will be paying 14%.

Hutton didn't recommend 60 as a retirement age. He said it should be considered. But the government have just decided to go ahead without considering the implications.

If you are dismissed at 59 because you are no linger fit enough to carry out the physical work, then you won't bet your pension until 68.

68 is the retirement age that the government wants to bring in. And they are pushing towards this for all professions.
Old 06-03-2012, 22:45   #10
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
The firefighters pension actually has the lowest employers contribution of all public sector workers.
Do you have some figures for that? (It's not that I don't believe you, I'd just be interested to see the figures)
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 22:47   #11
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Do you have some figures for that? (It's not that I don't believe you, I'd just be interested to see the figures)
It's all on the FBU website. I personally only have a paper copy.
Old 06-03-2012, 22:49   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Erm, how many private sector employers contribute 21%?

Re "lowest contribution" - I work in the public sector (education), and my employer contributes 13%, so your statement is incorrect.

Re2 firefighters operational until 68, the FBU website states

Quote:
These plans include making LGPS members eventually work until they are 68, all operational firefighters work until they are at least 60
http://www.fbu.org.uk/wp-content/upl...o.-1.indd_.pdf page 1
Old 06-03-2012, 22:52   #13
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Erm, how many private sector employers contribute 21%?

Re "lowest contribution" - I work in the public sector (education), and my employer contributes 13%, so your statement is incorrect.
I'm afraid you have wrong information. We had a meeting that went on for three hours last week with all the facts and figures (my head is still throbbing).

http://www.fbu.org.uk/?page_id=131
Old 06-03-2012, 22:56   #14
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Personally, I'd quite happily pay an extra 2% if it meant my employer paid 21%..

Incidentally - is your pension payout guaranteed? -i.e. does not fluctuate with the stock exchange?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 22:56   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I'm afraid you have wrong information. We had a meeting that went on for three hours last week with all the facts and figures (my head is still throbbing).

http://www.fbu.org.uk/?page_id=131
You said
Quote:
So my pension fund is lying to me and all the other members re Employers Contributions of 13%?

btw, the Local Government Pension Scheme has average employer contributions of 13.6% (according to Unite)

And the NHS Pension Fund employers contributions are 14%
http://www.nhsemployers.org/SiteColl..._210709_aw.pdf

Teachers Pension Fund has contributions of 14.1% http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/em...mployers13.htm

They appear to be lower than 21%.......