Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | EDF online "My Account"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Weird Hotmail sign in/out problem

Old 24-03-2011, 12:56   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Weird Hotmail sign in/out problem

Hi, I sign into my hotmail accounts via the 'mail' button on the Windows Live toolbar. Today, out of the blue, when I tried to check my email, I clicked on this button, a new window opened as usual but it remained blank and a warning appeared at the top about blocking content with security certificate errors. In order to proceed I had to click on 'options' and then on 'display blocked content'. When I did this the Windows Live Hotmail page opened normally and my 4 e.mail account sign in boxes were displayed as usual. All but one of these are set so that I don't need to enter the password but just click on the 'sign in' button. When I did this, however, I got a message telling me the "password or e.mail address is wrong" so I had to manually enter the password and then the account opened to show my inbox with the blocked content warning message still displayed across the top of the window. When I tried to sign out in the normal way (by clicking on the sign out button on the top right hand side of the window) the window closed but I then got an alert box opening up telling me the sign out could not be completed because my browser (IE8) is blocking cookies. It says to close all windows and check the browser's settings.

This problem has been happening each time I've tried to access any of the accounts and, despite re-entering the passwords and having the 'remember password' box ticked each time, my passwords are not being remembered so I have to enter them manually every time I try to access any of the accounts.

I've no idea how to correct this problem or why it's being caused although I did get some sort of minor AV (Avast Home Edition 4.7) update earlier so guess that could have something to do with it. I don't tend to sit there watching the PC as it boots up (takes quite a while) and don't recall seeing any other signs of any updating other than a flash player update which I declined for now. I've no idea why IE8 suddenly appears to be blocking these cookies and causing the sign out problem or whether that's related to the sign in issues. A couple of times when signing out I got an on screen message advising me to delete my cookies which I did and made no difference. I did notice, however, that there was a box marked 'preserve favourite website data' which was ticked. I don't recall being asked to select 'favourite websites' and wouldn't know how to so I'm not sure if that's relevant to this problem.

Anyone got any ideas how to sort this out please?

TVM as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2011, 17:12   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Weird Hotmail sign in/out problem

I access hotmail via a shortcut I put on my browsers 'Links' toolbar.

A day or so ago this shortcut ceased to work for some reason. So I accessed hotmail directly, signed in and made a new shortcut to replace the existing one on my Links bar.

So far everythings back to normal. Seems the URL changed for some reason.

Incidentally hotmail is the only service I have, no Live toolbars or any other Live junk.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 13:03   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Thanks for the info.

The problem seems to have resolved itself now so I can sign in/out via the Windows Live button as before. Not sure what happened
Old 25-03-2011, 15:14   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Yesterday I read that hackers had attacked Comodo and compromised SSL by getting some fake certificates issued. Apparently M$ was among the victims.

It seems the breach is sorted and the damage cleaned up but may have some bearing on the Hotmail issue.

Over the years I noticed Hotmail seems to throw a wobbly every now and again. Once it lost my username and password so I got into the 'username in use - please register username/password not recognised' loop until I re-registered under a new username.

Maybe our problems were just due to the normal, par for the course, deficiencies of the service?
Old 25-03-2011, 16:09   #5
Osem
Inactive

Yes, had something like this happen before but it resolved itself so maybe it's as you say.

Worrying when your e.mail service goes flaky though isn't it?
Old 25-03-2011, 16:41   #6
Mick Fisher
Inactive

I only use Hotmail as a 'throw away' address.

I've used gmail via it's web interface since it's inception. Best and most reliable email service I ever used.

I wouldn't like to depend on Hotmail as my primary email as it is inherently a bit flaky, IMO.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15   #7
Osem
Inactive

Another Hotmail sign in problem guys. Yesterday, for some reason the windows live mail sign in page which used to display each of my 4 hotmail accounts and let me sign into each of them by just clicking on the relevant button seems to have disappeared. Now what I get when clicking on the mail link in the windows live bar is a single account sign in box coming up for which I need to enter the account name and password each time I sign in. Clicking on the "remember my email addy", "remember my email addy and password" options doesn't do anything so I have to sign in manually to each account and enter the relevant password every time I want to check my mail.

Anyone know what's going on?

TVM as always.
Old 01-07-2011, 13:37   #8
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Another Hotmail sign in problem guys. Yesterday, for some reason the windows live mail sign in page which used to display each of my 4 hotmail accounts and let me sign into each of them by just clicking on the relevant button seems to have disappeared. Now what I get when clicking on the mail link in the windows live bar is a single account sign in box coming up for which I need to enter the account name and password each time I sign in. Clicking on the "remember my email addy", "remember my email addy and password" options doesn't do anything so I have to sign in manually to each account and enter the relevant password every time I want to check my mail.

Anyone know what's going on?

TVM as always.
Sorry but no

It went a bit wierd for myself yesterday. After logging on, IE spuriously launched and simultaneously my firewall notified me some service or other from MS was trying to install. Naturally I blocked it. Since then it's been normal as far as I know.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:31   #9
Osem
Inactive

Hmmm... Maybe it's something MS have done?.... I don't know anything about it but I'm sure I've seen somewhere that Windows Live now offers the possibility to set up a single sign in ID and associated password with which you can access all your Hotmail and other email accounts. Could they be trying to 'encourage' their users to adopt this method by making the existing sign in procedures more awkward I wonder? I don't like the idea of having one ID and password as I like the facility to have at least one of my Hotmail accounts set to require a password to be manually entered for sign in at all times.

Anyway, we still can't get the computer to store any of our Hotmail account names and/or passwords, whether we're logging in via the Windows Live sign in or the old Hotmail sign in link I still have in my favourites. The accounts are working as normal, it's just the sign in method that's a problem - we just get 2blank boxes in which to enter the address and password. It's a real pain having to keep manually entering each account name and the relevant password every time we want to check our mail.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:58   #10
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Sorry I don't have multiple accounts and so cannot comment.

I only have one account which I only usually use as a throwaway for signing up to forums ETC.

I have used gmail from it's web interface since it's inception as my main email and have found it to be exceptionally reliable. Maybe it's time for you to think of a change as you seem to be getting a few problems with Hotmail.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29   #11
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Sorry I don't have multiple accounts and so cannot comment.

I only have one account which I only usually use as a throwaway for signing up to forums ETC.

I have used gmail from it's web interface since it's inception as my main email and have found it to be exceptionally reliable. Maybe it's time for you to think of a change as you seem to be getting a few problems with Hotmail.
Cheers for your thoughts anyway. Yes I may well do that. I prefer the look/feel of Hotmail and have loads of stuff on my accounts so not keen to change unless I have to. I do have some Google accounts but just prefer Hotmail (when it works properly!!). Grrr......
Old 04-07-2011, 12:23   #12
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Hmmm...More Hotmail wierdity.

Since we both noticed oddities with Hotmail, on occasion I find previously read mails reinstated to unread again on my next visit.