Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Getting/forcing a new IP on the VMDG280?

Old 19-02-2012, 02:12   #1
Jelly
Inactive

Jelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about them
Getting/forcing a new IP on the VMDG280?

Recently my old Scientific Atlanta modem was replaced by a new-ish VMDG280 router-modem hybrid "hub". The connection and wireless signal seem fine, but I miss some of the functionality from my old modem; specifically the ability to get a new IP address easily.

With the old modem, I would simply have to change the MAC address of my router and it would give the modem a new IP address, but I cant see an option to change the MAC or IP of the VMDG280. Is it possible to do? I believe you can put the Hub in a modem-only mode; would this let me change IP in the same way I used to?

Rest assured my intentions are not malicious and that I am only curious as to whether it is possible.
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2012, 02:58   #2
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Getting/forcing a new IP on the VMDG280?

theres no modem mode for the hub at the moment, when the guys get round to updating it, it should have the functionality to do so, in the same way the modem does
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 03:14   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

And because there's no "modem mode" you cannot force an IP change on it manually.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 18:08   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

how are you changing the mac address on the modem when it has got to be registered to your account? Even if it was possible surely it should block your internet access and put you in the walled garden?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 18:51   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

He said he was changing the MAC address on his router not the modem and as already stated the hub doesn't have this option on the router side
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:03   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

my bad, I read it all backwards
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:18   #7
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

it can be done but since it not a way virign would like (no nothing illegal) but it isnt a way virign would liek you to use for changing a ip then i wont say how it done, but you might find it if you do a google search
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:00   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
it can be done but since it not a way virign would like (no nothing illegal) but it isnt a way virign would liek you to use for changing a ip then i wont say how it done, but you might find it if you do a google search
Er he has a hub so the is no way to change the MAC address which is what he would need to do in order to get a new ip address.

The is only one way and that is to leave the device off for a minimum of 24/48 hours in the hope that his old ip gets reassigned, probably best just before his lease gets renewed.

The other option is to ring technical support and tell them the device is dead and leave the power off and they should send out a Superhub by way of replacement which will give you a new ip out of the box.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:19   #9
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Er he has a hub so the is no way to change the MAC address which is what he would need to do in order to get a new ip address.

The is only one way and that is to leave the device off for a minimum of 24/48 hours in the hope that his old ip gets reassigned, probably best just before his lease gets renewed.

The other option is to ring technical support and tell them the device is dead and leave the power off and they should send out a Superhub by way of replacement which will give you a new ip out of the box.
i said it not a way virign would like i never meantioned how it can be done :p nor will i, if the op wants the informaiton google it
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:29   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
i said it not a way virign would like i never meantioned how it can be done :p nor will i, if the op wants the informaiton google it
All that will happen with a standard VMND280 hub is that they will lose their connection and breach the terms and conditions of their contract.

They would be better off doing as in my previous post just ring up with the device powered off and by the end of the week they will have a new Superhub.
Old 19-02-2012, 22:37   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Y'know I'm now almost tempted to do that just to get a free Superhub before I cancel.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 22:53   #12
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them

Use Mac changer on your network card, change one number or letter only, reboot modem / computer, it will either let you back on or you will be locked out, in that case ring VM tech support tell em you have no internet and they will re-initialise your modem from there end and bob's your uncle

There you go now shhhhhhhh don't you dare tell any one LOL....
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:01   #13
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitretro View Post
Use Mac changer on your network card, change one number or letter only, reboot modem / computer, it will either let you back on or you will be locked out, in that case ring VM tech support tell em you have no internet and they will re-initialise your modem from there end and bob's your uncle

That does not work with the hub i change my mac address's all the time on my network card when running tests and trials it has never looked me out

Quote:
I like that

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:07   #14
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them

Used to work with my trusty old vmng300 and my d-link 615, but admit i have never tried this on my hub,

And don't feel the need to as i have had 3 different ip addresses in the last 3 weeks due to VM doing local network upgrades.
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:23   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Y'know I'm now almost tempted to do that just to get a free Superhub before I cancel.
It will work because they see no working device and you are adamant its plugged in.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitretro View Post
Used to work with my trusty old vmng300 and my d-link 615, but admit i have never tried this on my hub,

And don't feel the need to as i have had 3 different ip addresses in the last 3 weeks due to VM doing local network upgrades.
Both the hub and the Superhub use their own MAC address to get the ip from Virgin Media, the Superhub when in Modem Mode will let you do that but if you manged to do anything similar on the either of the two hubs you would brick them.